PDA

View Full Version : New tool(s) gloat!!!

Michael Dunn
03-15-2013, 9:38 PM
Hey guys!!!

So I lost my job of nearly 12 years w/ AT&T 3+ weeks ago. In addition to sending out resumes and searching for another IT related career I've been planning to do some serious woodworking as a business. I already had a 'complete' shop however, I needed some upgrades. Namely a better (and biggerer) jointer.

I had a Central Machinery 6" and could never get the tables to be co-planer. (I actually just learned what I should've done... Oh well...

So I've been searching CL waiting for the right moment. I have alerts setup on my phone. God bless technology. Today I got an alert for an 8" Bridgewood jointer. Until today I've never heard of Bridgewood. So I researched it a bit and it seemed like a good investment. He was asking $500. I offered $360. He accepted. Then he offered me a Woodmaster W-718 planer, molder, sander, and rip saw for $700. I declined. Until I saw what I could do with it. So I went to pick them up... Then it dawned on me I should probably 'inform/ask' my wife. She resisted initially as she mostly does. Until I explained I could make some decent if not serious cash making my own moldings and trim and what not. So the guy let me have them both for $1k even. He even drove them to my house. I have him an extra $20 for gas.

I've read a lot about the W-718 here... Some mixed opinions, but to me, it seemed to be an overall positive response from the actual owners.

I have a 400 sq/ft shop (2 car garage) so space is an absolute premium. So a machine that does several tasks well is a sound option for me.

Here are a couple pics... I still have to clean them up a bit. I even took one of it loaded up with him driving in front of me because I'm such a geek.

Does $1000 seem like a good deal for an 8" jointer and an 18" planer, molder, sander, and rip saw? I certainly think so. Brand new these jointers went for around $1k I think and the W-718 sells for $2300 new. Mine has the Leeson 5HP motor, speed control, cast iron in/out feed tables, and several cutter heads, one drum sanding hook/loop abrasive and the jointer came with brand new nicely honed knives.

What cutter heads do you guys think I should buy to expand my selection a bit?

Gordon Eyre
03-15-2013, 9:47 PM
Sounds to me like you sick big time. Congrats!

John McClanahan
03-16-2013, 9:37 AM
The jointer looks just like my old Blue Jet. Around here, $360 is a fair price for an 8" jointer, as they seldom turn up.

John

Michael Dunn
03-16-2013, 9:52 AM
The jointer looks just like my old Blue Jet. Around here, $360 is a fair price for an 8" jointer, as they seldom turn up.

John

I thought so too. With the package price I paid $300 for the 8". Even BETTERER!!! I cleaned up the CI top a bit last night. Any tips on cleaning stains from CI?

I sanded it. From 50, 60, 80, 120, 180, 220, 400, steel wool, and finally 2000. It's MUCH better, but I like my CI supa shiny!!!

I didn't do the fence yet though.

Michael Dunn
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Sounds to me like you sick big time. Congrats!

Yup!!! Thanx!!! I've been waiting for a really nice deal like this.

Joe Angrisani
03-16-2013, 10:45 AM
....Any tips on cleaning stains from CI? I sanded it. From 50, 60, 80, 120, 180, 220, 400, steel wool, and finally 2000. It's MUCH better, but I like my CI supa shiny!!!

Make a slurry of Bar Keeper's Friend and WD-40, and work it around with the steel wool. Let it sit a few minutes and work it around again. Then wipe off. Bada bing.

Mike Cozad
03-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I have waiting for a decent deal on a jointer to come along in my neck of the woods, but still no dice... I think its a great deal.. You suck!

Michael Dunn
03-16-2013, 12:00 PM
I have waiting for a decent deal on a jointer to come along in my neck of the woods, but still no dice... I think its a great deal.. You suck!

If you have a smart phone get a CL app and setup alerts. I guarantee you'll have your jointer in a few weeks.

Michael Dunn
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Where are you located?

ed vitanovec
03-16-2013, 12:45 PM
You did good! I have the WM718 with all the bells and whisels, bought it used and in brand new condition for $1500. The jointer is a good one and made by Gee Tech and private labeled, they make good quality shapers, jointers and planers. The Wood Master is a really nice machine and I used the Rip Saw, Planer and Mold Making set-up, everything worked out well. It is especially nice to have the variable speed, something you don't find is any other planer. Let us know how you do with your woodworking and good luck in finding another job.

Regards!
Ed

Myk Rian
03-16-2013, 1:02 PM
Any tips on cleaning stains from CI?
Yeah. Don't worry about it. Clean and wax them.
But if you really want to do it, Bar Keepers Friend mixed with a little water. (tablespoon or so)
Clean with alcohol, then wax them heavy, and melt it in with a heat gun. Buff.

John C Bush
03-16-2013, 1:03 PM
Best thing for the CI surfaces is run lots of wood over them!!!! Sawdust hides blemishs and is more fun than hand polishing. Johnson's paste wax makes pushing the wood easier and keeps a nice patina as well as manages recrudescent surface rust. Congrats. JCB.

Michael Dunn
03-16-2013, 1:09 PM
You did good! I have the WM718 with all the bells and whisels, bought it used and in brand new condition for $1500. The jointer is a good one and made by Gee Tech and private labeled, they make good quality shapers, jointers and planers. The Wood Master is a really nice machine and I used the Rip Saw, Planer and Mold Making set-up, everything worked out well. It is especially nice to have the variable speed, something you don't find is any other planer. Let us know how you do with your woodworking and good luck in finding another job.

Regards!
Ed

What molding cutters would you recommend I start with? I have some. I don't know what the profiles are called though. Here's a pic of everything I bought...

Mike Cozad
03-16-2013, 5:18 PM
Where are you located?
I live in a suburb of Toledo, OH.

Ronald Blue
03-16-2013, 10:16 PM
There are some pretty cool videos on youtube of the woodmaster making molding. I think you did very well. You indeed do SUCK!!!

ed vitanovec
03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
I bought the corrugated cutter and use those types of knives, as for profiles the ones I use were something I designed and sent the cad file to WDR sales to make. Woodmaster does have all the patterns printed to scale in their knife catalog. WDR sales is a good source for knives, the owner Bill has been doing this for many years.