PDA

View Full Version : Patel Cherry

Baxter Smith
03-15-2013, 9:24 PM
About a year ago, I made a comment on someone else’s post that I didn’t often get to turn much cherry. Prashun Patel generously sent me three blanks in April that I posted about here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185343-Creeker-Generosity-Strikes-Again!&highlight) I had a thought in mind for each of the three at the time and wrote it on the bottom. The roughout on the far right ended up as this.

I never realized it was so far around an 8” bowl.;):)

8” x 2” and finished with walnut oil

Thanks again for the pretty wood Prashun!

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Nate Davey
03-15-2013, 9:32 PM
Great bowl, Baxter. I think oil was a great choice for the cherry and the detail band is AWESOME!

Thomas Heck
03-15-2013, 9:52 PM
Nice job! Looks good. Did you apply the oil while turning or did you apply and let dry and buff? I like the finish.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2013, 9:57 PM
Really well done Baxter. I really like the finish.

Kathy Marshall
03-16-2013, 1:43 AM
That's a beauty Baxter! I love the detail band and that's some really nice cherry, great color!

Fred Belknap
03-16-2013, 6:03 AM
Very nice, the design adds value to the bowl.

Thom Sturgill
03-16-2013, 7:24 AM
I love working with cherry. Turns well, takes an oil finish well and burns well. The pyro takes on a nice hue compared with maple for instance.
Very nice job on the bowl. Excellent form and the pyro design is clean and fits well.

Doug Herzberg
03-16-2013, 8:56 AM
That's really nice Baxter. Pi times the diameter can be a long way, but your detail makes the path beautiful.

Billy Tallant
03-16-2013, 9:17 AM
Great looking bowl Baxter! I'm sure it may have got tedius getting that detail band all the way around the bowl. But it sure added a unique look to that bowl. That band just grabs your attention & makes that bowl stand out!

charlie knighton
03-16-2013, 9:26 AM
very nice.....

bob svoboda
03-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Another very nice one, Baxter

jwjerry w kowalski
03-16-2013, 6:13 PM
Very nice as always Baxter, I really like the deep color of the cherry and your pyro treatment makes the bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-16-2013, 7:30 PM
Nice little bowl Baxter, I like the way you did the rim, the band around is fine and the wood looks good, matures to a even nicer color over time, I've never used Walnut oil, did it harden up at all ??, as I understood it doesn't really polymerize, just wondering about that :confused: :)

Baxter Smith
03-16-2013, 9:02 PM
Nice job! Looks good. Did you apply the oil while turning or did you apply and let dry and buff? I like the finish.
Thanks Thomas. After burning the band I wet sanded the rest of it lightly with 800 grit paper. I gave it a couple of coats of the oil 15-20 minutes apart after some had been absorbed.

Nice little bowl Baxter, I like the way you did the rim, the band around is fine and the wood looks good, matures to a even nicer color over time, I've never used Walnut oil, did it harden up at all ??, as I understood it doesn't really polymerize, just wondering about that :confused: :)

Leo, my understanding is that Mahoney's Walnut Oil is a drying oil and will polymerize in the wood eventually. It just may take anwhere from a week to a month. I will be leaving this one in the sun for a few days and that should speed things up a bit.

For some reason, this cherry was a bit darker/deeper in color right after turning than other I have done. The cherry burns well and I think the combo looks good for now. Long term with the natural darkening, its probably not the best choice if you want your burning to stand out.

Thanks for the positive comments. They are appreciated!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Very nice Baxter! The cherry by itself would be somewhat bland. You have added the right amount of contrasting additions and detail to give this bowl a really classy feeling. Well done Sir!

Baxter Smith
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you Ken. It is appreciated. I may have to try it again since I am beginning to forget how long it took.:)