PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Jet/powermatic question (sorry!)

mark ravensdale
03-15-2013, 9:00 PM
Sorry guys, but I have another question regarding the jet/powermatic 3520b
is the hand wheel strong enough to be used to lift the 3520b? (one person lifting via hand wheel and the other person lifting via faceplate on spindle)
Unfortunatly I/we have to carry the headstock abt 80-90 feet and I wanted to check to make sure if the hand wheel would be strong enough/up to the job before I attempt it on Tuesday,
i know by now you must be sick of reading my questions regarding the 3520b, but I just want to make sure I don't damage anything while assembling it and/or using it for the first time, its one of the most expensive things I ever splashed out on and don't want to break it by making a simple mistake.

Thanks guys!!! ( I think that's abt it now, can't think of anything else to ask ;-)

Jamie Donaldson
03-15-2013, 9:33 PM
That original hand wheel is plenty strong enough to use as a lifting aid.

Thomas Canfield
03-15-2013, 9:42 PM
The shafts are plenty strong. I would suggest using a rope/sling on each shaft close to the casting and a 2x4 on edge about 4' long to get some space between you and the load to make it easier to walk that distance. The stable board is also easier to handle than a little round handwheel or faceplate.

Reed Gray
03-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I put a piece of plywood on a wheel barrow. High enough so you don't have to stoop much, and one helper to steady it. Save your backs!

robo hippy

Fred Belknap
03-16-2013, 6:14 AM
Get something with wheel to move it, a wagon or something. Your next problem is getting it on the ways. I'm not a big or young person so when I did mine I had to consider how to lift it on the ways. What I did was remove the hold down wheel on the bottom and put a board on the ways and slid it up the board, the wife helped. It would be handy to have a lift.