PDA

View Full Version : Wavy 15" Siberian Elm again.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-15-2013, 6:56 PM
I did show this piece late last year, while it still had to get some turning done and a finish put on, I did put a few coats of finish on it the last few weeks, and got all the rest done this past week, finish sanded the Tung oil finish and added one last coat onto it, then turned it.

First had to removed the gap-filler block from my lathe so that I had enough swing capacity and room inboard on my lathe for this wobbly bowl rim, stacked and screwed waste blocks to a faceplate till I had enough clearance and then turned them to fit the inside bottom of the bowl.

I was able to hold the bowl with the tailstock this way, I placed a piece of closed cell foam between the waste block and the inside bowl bottom so that it would not be damaged and also for friction to drive it.

Then I again straightened the base, a little better than last time, and removed the recess evidence, turned my usual decorating rings on the base, wiped on some Polymerized Tung oil and called it "Done".

Well I still have to polish the finish of the bowl ;), but I will wait to have the finish harden-up a bit more before doing that :).

This is the bowl sanded but without any finish on it

Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated :)

!5" Wavy Siberian Elm, turned to approx. 3/16" wall and 1/2" thick bottom base.

Picture 3 and 5 are the closest to the real color, the other have the color distorted, sorry :o
257068 257069 257070 257071

David C. Roseman
03-15-2013, 7:00 PM
Leo, this is beautiful! Your many years of experience really show through in the execution of this piece. Love Siberian Elm.

David

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-15-2013, 7:04 PM
2 thumbs up from me Leo, sweet looking piece.

Bill Hensley
03-15-2013, 7:40 PM
Agree, that is a beauty! The grain and warping make for a great effect.

Jerry Marcantel
03-15-2013, 8:05 PM
That's a beauty, Leo. It has the flowing lines of a lady's hat......... Nice...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Beautiful Leo. Really awesome grain and warping.

Baxter Smith
03-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I remember thinking how cool this looked when you posted it to begin with Leo. Maybe from the tree across the street? Even better now of course!

robert baccus
03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Really, really nice. Is the warping enhanced by trimming the rim? Hard for me to get my head around.

Bob Bergstrom
03-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Some pieces just look so good when they warp. Beautiful job bringing it together. Like everything about it.

Fred Belknap
03-16-2013, 6:25 AM
Beautiful Leo. I assume you did the edge treatment before it warped.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Leo, this is beautiful! Your many years of experience really show through in the execution of this piece. Love Siberian Elm.

David

Thanks for commenting David, Oh yes, the years do keep adding up, can't do much about that ;).

2 thumbs up from me Leo, sweet looking piece.

Thank you Joe :)

Agree, that is a beauty! The grain and warping make for a great effect.

Your comment is appreciated, thank you Bill

That's a beauty, Leo. It has the flowing lines of a lady's hat......... Nice...... Jerry (in Tucson)

A lady's hat ??, she better has a hard head :D, Thanks Jerry, love it ;-))

Beautiful Leo. Really awesome grain and warping.

Thanks Bernie, appreciated :)

I remember thinking how cool this looked when you posted it to begin with Leo. Maybe from the tree across the street? Even better now of course!

Baxter you do have a good memory, but, I think you remember this one, same tree and similar shape to start out with, but that one is 21", still have it (not finished yet) but very little distortion compared to this one, yes from across the street :D :cool:.

Really, really nice. Is the warping enhanced by trimming the rim? Hard for me to get my head around.

Robert the warping is caused by the end-grain not a real knot but from a large limb, the shrinking of the wood pulls it concentric, and so here it pulls the sides up, if it could not, the wood would have split, it was the reason I turned it thin, I was expecting this to happen, though I never know exactly how much,maybe some day ;)

Some pieces just look so good when they warp. Beautiful job bringing it together. Like everything about it.

Thanks for Commenting Bob, some you win, some you hope for better next time :eek:

Beautiful Leo. I assume you did the edge treatment before it warped.

Yes you would think so would you not Fred :rolleyes:, it was hard enough sanding it at 73 RPM :D

jwjerry w kowalski
03-17-2013, 8:58 AM
Leo, that's just an outstanding bowl, I love the way it warped, and to make a bowl that large took a huge amount of skill.

Dave Fritz
03-17-2013, 9:08 AM
Beautifully done. Amazing use of that piece of timber.

Dave F.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Leo, that's just an outstanding bowl, I love the way it warped, and to make a bowl that large took a huge amount of skill.

Thanks for commenting :), I do agree with the warping making it look special, then it took more time than usual to get it looking the way it does ;)

Beautifully done. Amazing use of that piece of timber.

Dave F.

Thank you Dave, much appreciated :), as they say, you got to work with what you have, and I was lucky with getting the wood to use for it.