PDA

View Full Version : L/n David Charlesworth Seminar

Brian Buckley
05-08-2005, 5:46 PM
I just returned from the David Charlesworth seminar at Lie-Nielsen. David's seminar was on makeing half blind dovetails. We spent the first couple of hours on the hows and whys of sharpening chisels. He also discussed the merits and faults of various types and brands of chisels. As you would expect he can sharpen a chisel sharper than a "Wilkinson Razor Blade". Besides haveing to be very sharp, it must have a dead flat back and a perfectly square edge. David made the whole process seem simple. He is a very very good teacher with a wonderful sense of humor.
The entire staff at Lie-Nielsen (includeing Tom) is as first class as you can get. It was great to put faces with the names of all the people I have spoken to on the phone. Tom had a box of proto type tools for us to drool over. It included his new medium shoulder plane, skew chisels, marking knife and an improved # 71 plane. The #71 is a beautiful tool , as you would expect. The Neatest thing in Tom's goody box was 3 different sharpening jigs. They will register off of the flat side of the blade rather than the top of the blade.
After spending way to much money on goodies I "NEEDED" and eating some wonderful food I returned to Texas with stars in my eyes.

Brian

Mark Singer
05-08-2005, 6:08 PM
It is a great feeling to see small American companies making tools of this quality....it has helped stir things up and get a lot of people into woodworking.....that sounds like a wonderful seminar....you related it quite welll...I felt as if I were there...I have great respect for David Charlesworth...his books are excellent..

Roy Wall
05-08-2005, 7:46 PM
Brian,

I bet you had "stars in your eyes.." - sounded like a great inspiration.

I've read DC's second book on furniture making and I like his approach and sense of humor...it's like "try and push yourself - make it as good as possible"....but somehow without any backlash - have fun in the woodworking!!!!

You owe us some pics.............:cool:

Martin Shupe
05-09-2005, 2:30 AM
Skew chisels, like for getting into half blind dovetail corners? :)

or for turning tools?

I am hoping the former!

Brian Buckley
05-09-2005, 8:22 AM
Martin,

For getting into half blind dovetails. I am not sure when they will be available. They currently have a long backlog on their bench chisels. I was fortunate enough to get an early set of the mortise chisels. They are a joy to use. Dead flat backs and sides with 0 radius.

Brian

Matthew Dworman
05-09-2005, 9:08 AM
I too had a great time. Brian - it was great meeting you up here in cold rainy New England. BTW - Thanks for the tip about that hunting store in Houston.
It is amazing the precision which David works wood. Always a pleAsure going up to Lie-Nielsen
Matt