PDA

View Full Version : Help needed.

lundy williams
03-15-2013, 4:56 PM
Worth the money? Power? Resaw ability?
I just added the 28-303 to my shop the 14 is in great shape and has set for 10 years in garage. After tearing it down yesterday, I could see it had a 3/4 Delta Motor any thoughts about using this saw to resaw? Is it powerful enough? The saw has all org. parts and paid $350.00. The guy said his dad bought it new paid $1800.00 15 yrs ago. Humm, that don't sound right to me... Most parts i believe are USA made except the bearings upper and lower have Japan stamped on them. Saw is a Pittsburgh product. Motor is USA. Platen and trunnions are USA. Might be a USA saw,lol...Is there any reason to beef up the motor are live with?
Will post a pic if anyone wants a eyeball on it...

Thomas Hotchkin
03-15-2013, 7:59 PM
Lundy
The Delta 28-303 band saw was designed for metal cutting. Should have a two or three speed gearbox. It might be a little slow on blade speed for resaw for your liking. I think the gearbox did add some too the price over a woodworking saw. My 14" Delta was hard pressed with riser block for good resaw, that's why I went to a MM16. Great saw for every thing else. Tom

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/delta/28-303_Type_1_WW_2.gif

Chris Rosenberger
03-15-2013, 8:08 PM
That model number is for a Delta 14" wood/metal band saw. Those saws have adjustable blade speeds. If it is a wood/metal saw, you got a good deal. $1800 would be in in the ballpark for the original price of a wood/metal bandsaw.
3/4hp will work for resawing, but depending on the size & type of wood, you will have a adjust the wood feed rate to keep from bogging the saw down. I would try it as is & if you can change blade speeds, try resawing at a lower speed.
It is not a big deal to change motors, you can do that anytime.