PDA

View Full Version : Making your own Vacuum Chucks

Peter Fabricius
03-15-2013, 4:49 PM
Hi all;
Here is a picture tutorial for those wishing to make their own Vacuum Chucks.
Enjoy.
Peter F.

Sorry my file is a PDF file size 159kb and too big to load.
Perhaps I can send it to a moderator for posting?

Glenn Bird
03-17-2013, 2:50 PM
Peter,
Could you split the file in half maybe to post? As an alternative.
Glenn

John Keeton
03-17-2013, 3:22 PM
Peter, email me thru SMC, and I will reply. That will give you my email address to email me the PDF. I will try to resize it and upload.

Or, you can go to my website (left click on my name) and pick up my email from there.

John Keeton
03-18-2013, 5:53 AM
Here is Peter's resized tutorial - nice work, Peter! I did have one question - what is the source for the silicone seal on the face of the chuck body?

Thanks!

Thom Sturgill
03-18-2013, 7:29 AM
I have made several using a similar technique, but use glued up MDF and seal it with shellac. I am sure that hard maple would work better. I also 'harden' the threads with CA and then re-cut them. I cut a step instead of a groove and build up a bead of sealant inside and out.

Another shape that works for me is to glue a flat piece of 3/4" stock to the face, round it and dish the face in, then cover the entire face with craft foam being sure to leave a hole through the center. Works well for bowls with smooth rims, this is based on one that Bob Hamilton shows in one of his videos.

Ralph Lindberg
03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Here is Peter's resized tutorial - nice work, Peter! I did have one question - what is the source for the silicone seal on the face of the chuck body?

Thanks!

Looks like it is a Rubby Chucky product

Peter Fabricius
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi SMC members;
Thanks John for resizing the PDF and posting it above.
For your question about the Silicone Seals, I make them in my shop. They are somewhat like the commercially available ones and I am not sure if I made mine first or if they came up with the idea. I make: 3.5", 2" and 1.5" sizes. Currently working on a 5" size using a PVC Joiner piece, it will be $6.00 ea.
I sell them for $5.00 each plus shipping. I have sent them only in Canada so far and the postage here is under $5.00 per package (containing 4 - 6 seals depending on size ordered). This is not really an advertising since they take time to make and I am not looking for WORK. I am retired and like Thom says: "every day is a Saturday except Sunday"
Here is a couple of pictures showing what can be done with customized Vacuum Chuck Bodies. This one is holding my large Segmented piece (that I designed myself in 2011, and about 6 of the Woodworking Friends Forum members also made my design).
I used a long piece of 3.5" PVC and made a collar to slide on the body of the chuck. The Seal goes against the bottom of the piece and the collar holds the opening from wobbling. The opening is just bigger than 3.5". It worked real nice. The collar is split so it can slide and be fixed along the Chuck body with two screws.
Peter F.

David C. Roseman
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
The neck support is very clever, Peter. Thanks for posting.

David

Ricc Havens
03-18-2013, 4:20 PM
Peter, what material are you using for a gasket? also the source too please!!

Thanks
Ricc Havens