PDA

View Full Version : Milles Falls vs Stanley planes - any real differences?

Derrell W Sloan
03-15-2013, 2:18 PM
I would like to get a nice set of user bench planes (3 (8), 4 (9), 5 (14), 6 (18), 7 (22)) and am leaning heavily towards getting some older planes and tuning them up. I really enjoy restoring old tools and giving them new life. I will probably look mainly at Millers Falls or Stanley planes. I know there seem to be more Stanley planes available but other than that are there any real advantages/disadvantages to one brand over the other? I'm not really considering Stanley Bedrocks just because they seem to go for as much or more than some premium new planes. I would assume any after market items like blades, chip breakers, etc. made for a Stanley would also work for a Millers Falls - please correct me if I'm wrong. Also if you have any favorite web sources for old tools that aren't auction sites please pass that info along as well.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2013, 2:42 PM
Derrell,

There really isn't a difference in the quality of work these planes do.

My planes are almost all Stanley. This makes it easier for me to keep my parts straight. Some parts like blades are interchangeable. Threads on Stanley planes usually do not match the threads on planes from other makers.

You may want to include your location in your profile. The places for plane hunting in my area will be different than where to find them in other areas.

Here in the southwest of Washington there are a few regular stops for me when out and about rust hunting.

Some places to look include the local thrift stores. It might do good to ask someone who works there if new items are brought out at a particular time or as they come in. My searches have yet to turn up good tools, but one was just missed by a few minutes once. One time they also had a bin of hardware at a dollar a pack. Bought a lot of hinges and other items that day. Plus they have a book section, most of the books that interest me can be spotted by their spine.

Many areas have a Restore, a part of Habitat for Humanity. They sell tools along with reclaimed building materials. There have been a few good finds there. Sometimes they are willing to bargain.

We have a used tool store in town that sometimes has a selection of woodworking tools. There is also a used tool store in Portland, OR.

Antique malls are also another place to watch.

Pawn shops will sometimes have items of interest. Often their pricing is a bit high. Sometimes they are willing to negotiate.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-15-2013, 2:48 PM
Forgot to mention the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section.

There has been some rearranging at the top of the forum so here is the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

There are a few posts in there about what to look for and how to rehab old planes.

jtk

David Weaver
03-15-2013, 2:48 PM
In use, none really as long as the MFs have a red frog.

Stanley's yoke was cast (for the adjuster). After the first type of MFs, they were stamped, and they are kind of chinsy, but they work. They just seem to foster backlash (which a user could fix, anyway).

MF kept the flat milled frog face design longer.

If you shop right, you'll find the 4 and 5 sizes (which MF calls 9 and 14) cheaper than stanleys, but the bigger ones in good condition (the 22 and 24) and some of the less common sizes like the 15 (stanley 5 1/2), 11 (5 1/4), etc might be more expensive than stanleys.

Oh, and MF used that trick segmented lever cap. I don't think it necessarily does anything in planing, but it's nifty.

David Weaver
03-15-2013, 2:49 PM
6 minutes behind jim!!

steven c newman
03-15-2013, 5:46 PM
I have two of the Millers falls planes. A type 4 #8 is a very good plane in the #3 size. I also have a late model 900 "V" line plane. It has the one piece lever cap. Both can be tuned to be excellent planes.257060257061 Been trying to snag some of the larger ones, too......

Erik Manchester
03-15-2013, 8:55 PM
Derrell,

I have both vintage Stanley planes, mostly type 11, as well as a large collection of Millers Falls premium bench planes. Tuned and fettled they are pretty much the same as far as performance, however, if bling is your thing, the Millers Falls planes with the red frogs, cocobolo wood and shiny lever caps really stand out in a crowd. I am still holding out for a Type 1 Millers Falls Number 11 and 24, though I have yet to even see one available online anywhere. What part of the US are you located in? I have picked up many good used tools at very fair prices from a woodworker that regular posts tools for sale on the Woodnet forum (Steve F). Steve is in Maine and has a huge stock of value priced user and collector grade hand tools from the heart of vintage tool country.

This is an old pic than should be updated as these are mostly Type I planes less the elusive No 11 and 24 planes.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/beletuen/Tools/Millers%20Falls/Millers%20Falls%20Plane%20Collection/MillersFallsBenchPlans2.jpg

Derrell W Sloan
03-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the info yall :) I have updated my profile so folks can see that I am indeed a good'ol Texas boy. Erik that's a nice family you have there.

Erik Manchester
03-17-2013, 5:52 AM
Derrell,

It is a weakness I have. There are quite a few more than that. I need to find a new home for some of them.