PDA

View Full Version : "I like to sit in my shop"

'Jacques Malan'
03-15-2013, 2:14 PM
Written by John Bennet from JWB ironworks, I thought I would share.

I like to sit in my shop.
I have a favorite chair that I like to sit in when I sit in my shop.
Sometimes I sit in my shop early in the morning and think of the day ahead.
Sometimes I sit in my shop at the end of the day and look at the results of the day and what tomorrow’s work will be.
Sometimes I sit down in the middle of the day and rest my legs.

I like to look at my tools all around me.
Some in boxes
Some on benches, Some under benches
Some hang on the wall
Some in racks
Some stand in corners
I have store bought tools
I have homemade tools,
I have a few that my grandfather used.
I like to sit with my tools

I like to sit in my shop
Over on the shelf is a model my son put together years ago. Please don’t touch it, the glue is old and the parts tend to come off.
I have several hot wheels cars the grandkids left on the floor long ago, now they lie in the top lid of the tool box on the rolling bench. They have long since forgotten them. One day they’ll get to remember them.
Up there are the pieces of a bare walnut bowl that I was turning for my bride. It was almost complete and I reached in with the gouge to get that last spot. That bowl exploded and hit me in the chest. I was relieved when I looked down and there wasn’t a gouge sticking out of me.
Those signs you see hanging high on the wall I picked up here and there over the years. I just like them…..can’t really tell you why.
I like to sit with my things.

I like to talk to my friends while sitting in my shop
I try to answer questions about forges, anvils and steel.
I try to answer questions about motorcycles, cars and why yes I will have another beer.
I often ask questions too.
I like to sit in my shop and talk with my friends

I like to sit in my shop
I like to sit with my dogs and talk real low.
I like to pet them and rub their bellies and ears and tell them how rough they have it.
I have always thought that nature should have made their life spans longer.
My dogs (and the neighbors dogs) like to lay in my shop on the cool concrete and watch me work.
I’m glad the dogs like to sit in my shop

I remember when I was young I had a neighbor up on the hill.
He liked to sit in his shop when the day was thru.
I thought he was old…. If I had only known.
I liked to sit in his shop and talk of things he knew.
He shared his knowledge and peanuts too.
He is gone now but sometimes he comes and sits in my shop too.

I like to sit in my shop
Among my things
With my memories
People, Pets, Places, songs, stories and things.
Each day brings more…….

I like to sit in my shop

JWB

Mark Eisen
03-15-2013, 9:53 PM
That is great, thanks for posting.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/Cartoons/8thumbsup.gifhttp://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/Cartoons/8thumbsup.gifhttp://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/Cartoons/8thumbsup.gif

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Great read, thanks.

I'll have to try sitting in my shop. I'm always standing. I do love looking around my shop knowing that,in this spot with these tools I can build anything I want. It's comforting and satisfying.
I never thought of a shop having a spiritual side, but mine does.

Gary Hodgin
03-16-2013, 1:53 PM
Sitting in the shop is good.

paul cottingham
03-16-2013, 4:30 PM
There are days when my hands hurt too much, and I just go to my shop, and sit. No work, just spending time with my wood and my tools. Sometimes I hold a tool. Does that make me odd?
Please say yes.:D

Ed Aumiller
03-16-2013, 7:17 PM
Nope, not odd, just normal....

A shop is a refuge..... use it all the time as one...

Rod Sheridan
03-16-2013, 7:51 PM
There are days when my hands hurt too much, and I just go to my shop, and sit. No work, just spending time with my wood and my tools. Sometimes I hold a tool. Does that make me odd?
Please say yes.:D

Sorry Paul, seeking comfort in familiar things isn't odd, au contraire, it's odd not to seek comfort in familiar things............At least that's what I tell myself when I do it.....Rod.

Rod Sheridan
03-16-2013, 7:53 PM
Salut Jacques, thanks for sharing that, I think it reflects well on tinkerers and pet owners..............Regards, Rod.

Steven Green
03-17-2013, 2:38 AM
I've got a potbellied stove, five comfortable chairs and a fridge in my shop. No beer allowed I should point out. I've also got a coffee machine. It's the general store for the neighborhood, a port in the storm when male companions are needed and a wonderful spot to watch the snow fall from. I like to sit up there in the winter by myself among my things and dream about the next project or just enjoy the smell and the quiet.

bob svoboda
03-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I could have written that for myself. Now I don't have too! Thanks.

mike holden
03-19-2013, 9:41 AM
Thank you.
I have printed it and posted it on my shop wall.

Shawn Pixley
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I love the spirit of the poem. I grew up spending time with my grandfather as he worked in his shop. He had a both a metal shop and an electrical shop in the basement. He taught me to forge, use a metal lathe, build a radio or amplifier, but most importantly he taught me how to live. When we were done for the day, we'd sit in front of the basement fireplace. If the weather was nice we would sit outside. He is gone now but I have his rocking chair that was his father's before him.