PDA

View Full Version : Templates for router bowls?!?

Jon Wilson
03-15-2013, 1:15 PM
I have some bowls and trays on the To-Do list and was wondering how would you make templates to make them.

I am going to go with the router method using a bowl & tray bit with a collet extender.

I was thinking plexiglass but then I got stuck figuring how to cut the template with nice edges without cracking and splintering the plexiglass.

As always, Thanks for the input!

Jeff Bartley
03-15-2013, 2:13 PM
Jon,
Depending on the shape you're after for the inside of the bowl I'd tackle it like this: first I'd make the template out of something easy, like 1/2" mdf. Next I'd transfer that template to a lexan (not plexiglass) template using a spiral pattern bit and the router. You can use a fine tooth blade in a jig saw to rough out the shape before using the spiral bit.
In use I'd probably screw the template onto the workpiece near the outside in a waste area. A spiral pattern bit will leave a nice cut just don't hog off too much in a single pass. Hope this helps!

Jon Wilson
03-15-2013, 2:56 PM
Jon,
Depending on the shape you're after for the inside of the bowl I'd tackle it like this: first I'd make the template out of something easy, like 1/2" mdf. Next I'd transfer that template to a lexan (not plexiglass) template using a spiral pattern bit and the router. You can use a fine tooth blade in a jig saw to rough out the shape before using the spiral bit.
In use I'd probably screw the template onto the workpiece near the outside in a waste area. A spiral pattern bit will leave a nice cut just don't hog off too much in a single pass. Hope this helps!

Makes perfect sense now that I read it written out.
Almost so simple I feel sheepish for asking.

Any clue as to where the cheapest place to pick up lexan is?
A quick search at the blue and orange stores shows this stuff to be pretty pricy.

Jeff Bartley
03-15-2013, 3:14 PM
Good question! It can be ordered of course but you might find it locally. I can only get it up to 1/4" thick.....3/8" to 1/2" are better thicknesses IMHO.

Bill Huber
03-15-2013, 3:48 PM
Why use Lexan, just use the MDF, I have made some with 1/2" MDF and they work great.
I just draw the shape I want the bowel to be on the MDF and then take it to the band saw to cut it out. The only problem is I do not have a scroll saw so I have to fill the kerf from the band saw with epoxy and then sand and clear the template up.

Screw the template to the block of wood and make the inside of the bowel, then remove the template and use the band saw to cut the out side of the bowel.

glenn bradley
03-15-2013, 4:07 PM
I'm with Bill. 1/2" MDF; thick enough to securely ride the bearing, easy enough to shape. I use a jigsaw and then a spindle sander, then hand finish the shape with sandpaper. It doesn't have to be incredibly smooth but, any ripples will translate to your routed edge so I try for smooth as possible. Once I have a shape I may use again I treat the inside edge of the template with some shellac. Don't flood the edge or repeat the treatment too much or your MDF will swell. Yoiu just want to seal it. Glue-size also works well for this edge treatment with the same precautions.