PDA

View Full Version : Chessmen set file

Joe Hillmann
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Last night I designed a bunch of game boards as well as a fancy chessboard with drawers. The regular laser cut chessmen that can be downloaded from several places online just didn't do it justice so I went ahead and designed my own. They are similar but instead of each piece being made from two pieces and a base they are made of 4 pieces and a base. That makes the pieces feel much nicer in the hand and allows detail engraving on all four sides of each piece. Of course it takes twice as long to cut as the other set but I think it is worth it.

Hopefully this attachment works. This sheet contains both dark and lite pieces. I stain the lower half of the plywood and then rub sanding sealer over the entire sheet then sand before cutting on the laser.

It is designed to use .11 plywood. If you have something other than .11 just stretch the entire drawing by x/.11 (where x= the thickness of your plywood)

I will post pictures next week when I find my memory card for my camera.

Bruce Dorworth
03-15-2013, 2:50 PM
Great job Joe!! I downloaded the file and will have to try that one.

Bruce

Joe Hillmann
03-15-2013, 5:09 PM
There is a mistake in this file, one of the bishops needs to be mirrored so when put back to back the notches line up.

Joe Hillmann
03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Another thing you MAY want to change in the file is to make the bishops 1/4inch shorter. The first time I set it up I thought it may be difficult to distinguish the queen from the bishop at a glance and making the bishops a bit shorter help. In actual play it wasn't a problem but if you change it it won't be possible for it to become a problem.

Jeff Belany
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Those are real nice. I've had a chess board on the back burner for some time. I'm going to have to dig it out a burn one or two.

You're quite the designer, liked your doll houses also. On top of everything else -- you're from the Badger state!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bruce Dorworth
03-21-2013, 1:58 AM
Joe, I cut out most of the pieces and I have to admit it looks even better as real pieces then on the computer. I did make one slight addition. I cut circles for the bottom of each piece. That way the bottom is double thickness like the rest of the part, plus it covers up the recessed part/"X"

Question for Joe.. Can I post this file on the Epilog fan page if I give you credit for the file? I will not post it if you don't approve.

Bruce

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Go ahead and put it up there. Although before you do make sure to mirror one black and one white bishop, otherwise the notches don't line up. Also make sure to make it known it is for .110 thick wood and needs to be adjusted for anything else.

I wonder if in the second circle you made for the base you could put a metal slug to make them a bit heavier? Then put felt to hide it.

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Here a some photos of the finished set, My photography needs some work, they are much nicer in person but it gives you the idea.

The chess board is 15"x15" with four drawers to hold the pieces.
Trying to show the pieces. My pictures aren't very good.
The edges that the laser cut are almost a chocolate color which adds an elegance to them. The pieces also have engraving on them to try and copy the detail of lathe turned pieces.

I stained and finished the pieces before I cut them on the laser and then covered them with transfer paper. That way there was no smoke damage and the pieces were just ready to be snapped together. The black pieces were a pretty snug fit. I assume the stain caused the wood to swell a bit. They took quite a bit of pounding with a wood mallet to get them together. Luckily nothing broke.

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Here are some other game boars I made.

First is a cribbage board with a drawer to store pins and cards.
Here is a 9 mens morris board. I have since redesigned it but have to get more wood to see if it works.
And my favorite. Quarto. The pieces are made the same way I made the chess pieces. It is a strategy game that can quickly lead to lots of yelling. I got the idea from mere mortals wood working. He shows how to build the game and how to play.

Jeff Belany
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Great job!! Pictures really show how good the pieces look. I like the idea of adding some weight to the bottom. I'll have to rty to remember that. Not me thinking I need to dust off the chessboard I have layed out in Corel and see how it works.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
The chess pieces are designed for best use on a board with 1.75" squares. Smaller squares and the pieces are crowded, larger and they are too spread out and it is hard to see your moves.

Bruce, if you put it on the Epilog site you may want to include that information as well.

Bruce Dorworth
04-06-2013, 2:06 AM
You could almost engrave a pocket for a washer. I will see waht I can do and let you know.

Thanks a bunch!!
Bruce

Bruce Dorworth
04-06-2013, 2:09 AM
I will do it.

Thanks again,
Bruce