PDA

View Full Version : Hangers for DC PVC Pipe?

Rick Schubert
05-08-2005, 4:52 PM
As long as we're all buying Dust Gorillas and installing them, what have you all used to hang the S&D PVC pipe from the ceiling?

I'm using 6" pipe. My ceiling is 8 foot with white painted particle board over the joists. I've considered heavy duty cable ties through eye bolts or metal hanging straps, the kind with holes, screwed to the ceiling.

Any suggestions?

Mark Duksta
05-08-2005, 5:18 PM
Rick,

I used cable ties and cable tie mounts. The ties are rated to hold 175 pounds. The mounts are made specifically for the ties. They are not load rated but I contacted the manufacturer and they said for my application I should be fine. I got the mounts at McMaster.com.

Mark

Mike Scoggins
05-08-2005, 6:08 PM
Rick,

I really like the cable tie mounts Mark posted. I didn't know such a thing existed when I installed mine, however (if I would have known, I would have used them).

I used large diameter hose clamps (7" I think) from HD over 6" PVC. I mounted the clamps to the ceiling with a sheetrock screw and large diameter fender washer (with the clamp underneath the fender washer). I did not drill and hole through the clamp which would weaken it significantly. I just put the clamp underneath the fender washer at the appropriate angle and tightened down the screw. This method allowed for a completey flush mount against the ceiling (just as the cable ties with the mounts do) and has worked just fine. I originally thought the clamps would work well for any relocation of the pipe that might be necessary, but I've not had the need to move anything to date.

Mike

Mark Singer
05-08-2005, 6:11 PM
For Gorillas...vines work well ...they can swing from them...also tall trees if you have room in your shop as they grow you can harvest the wood. Don't forget leaves and bananas...

Ken Garlock
05-08-2005, 9:04 PM
Those cable ties are pretty slick. :cool:

When I hung my 6" PVC, I bought 8" shelf brackets. I cut the standards(vetical shelf thingie with the slots) to 12" lengths, and mounted them on the side wall, I then put the brackets in the standards, and laid the pipe on the bracket. There is no need to truss it down, it won't go any place, it just lays there.... :)

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 9:37 PM
I've used the heavy duty 24" cable ties that Mark shows in his pictures for two shops now with great results. Inexpensive, relatively speaking and they dampen vibration a little, too. The only difference from the pictures above is that mine are used with metal duct...

JayStPeter
05-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I used metal strapping. It can also be screwed into the PVC when you need it to hold up a drop.

Jay

Matt Meiser
05-09-2005, 7:28 AM
I did one of two things. Where There was a convenient stud or roof truss, I put a screw eye in and used the large zip ties. For runs along the ceiling, if a truss wasn't available, I used a piece of EMT long enough to go between two trusses and used some conduit mounting clamps to attach it to the ceiling to give me a place to attache the zip tie.

Bryan Nuss
05-09-2005, 7:47 AM
You could also use ordinary pipe strapping screwed to the ceiling joists. The strapping is flexible enough to allow some movement for fitting up joints.

Michael Sloan
05-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Nylon cord, through eye bolts. Infinitely adjustable, readily available, dampens vibration, but definitely not very sexy looking.

Mike