PDA

View Full Version : Broken drill press handle

Phil Watson
03-15-2013, 6:28 AM
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but here goes. I have a Jet floor model drill press that has a broken handle crank, this is the crank that raises and lowers the table. This crank is beyond repair. I am sure this is a common problem because it is just a cheap piece of plastic. Does anyone have a fix that was done on yours.
Thanks,
Phil

Joe Kieve
03-15-2013, 8:54 AM
Not sure exactly what part you're talking about, but if it's the plastic handle that you wrap your hand around to raise/lower the table, I replaced the one on my Ridgid drill press with a short piece of PVC pipe. Been on there for 3 years and still working fine.

joe

Andrew Nemeth
03-15-2013, 9:48 AM
I had the same problem on my Jet drill press. I ended up ordering a new one from Jet through Wood Werks Supply. If I remeber right, the new handle was constructed slightly differently than the old one (it's been 5+ years ago since I made the repair so I might not be right about the design change). It still feels and looks like a cheap plastic handle.

I'll be interested in watching what others post as I would upgrade it to an all metal one if the price was right.

Terry Beadle
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Enco has replacement handles. Plastic with aluminum centers for about $12.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=799&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=990-3296

I don't know your shaft size but if your shaft is still good a replacement handle like the above may be a possible solution.

Regards,

Terry

ian maybury
03-15-2013, 1:09 PM
The plastic handle has just broken on my cheap Indian made drill press bought from the UK too.

The issue is probably that most plastics unless loaded with UV inhibitors or the like tend over time to become brittle. UV inhibitors as chemicals don't so far as I remember have a great reputation from a health, safety and environmental point of view either....

ian

Pat Barry
03-15-2013, 1:21 PM
I clamped on a vice grip two years ago and am still using it.