PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on an Egg...

Richard DiMaggio
03-14-2013, 8:22 PM
Well, after reading a little about the subject here yesterday, I looked around and saw the Egg-Bot device (very clever by the way, and inexpensive) but didn't see much about using a laser. I saw where people were using hand engravers, the high speed pencil tip style, but no lasers...
So, I cracked open a couple eggs, plopped them down on the table and tried to do little stars and circles as a test pattern....
Holey Moley!! They friggen stink! I think I now know why lasers are not used for this.. I was trying to cut all the way thru, but the first few attempts with my chinese 40Watt tube at about 15% power did leave engraved lines....Then moved up to about 30% and did make cuts, but had to push the resultant shapes thru with my finger. That's about when I gave up because of the smell....

looks like I will be building one of Dan's filters if I am going to do any more of this!
rj

Joe Hillmann
03-14-2013, 8:31 PM
They do stink and if I remember right from when I tried when I was able to cut all the way through the area around the cut was very prone to crumble. Also to get the egg out of the shell I drilled an 1/8 inch hole, stuck a bent wire attached to a drill into the hole and scrambled the egg then use a ball inflater attached to my air compressor to blow the egg out through the hole then attached the ball inflator to a water hose to wash the eggs out. I was never able to get an egg that turned out after lasering it though.

paul mott
03-15-2013, 5:43 AM
Tried chicken eggs a while back.

The extraction system took care of the smell OK.

Paul.

Walt Langhans
03-15-2013, 8:36 AM
WOW that's neat. My mother-in-law raises chickens as a side project. We have a great relationship and she has a warped sense of humor like I do. I think I'm going to make a series of eggs that look badly hand written (think the cows form chick fil-a) asking for more food and better living conditions or they are going to stop laying eggs and plant them randomly around the hen house next time I visit. Hummmm.... might need to set up a hidden camera as well.... lmao!

Chester Lindgren
04-05-2013, 3:15 PM
Here's an egg I engraved last Sunday: http://instagram.com/p/XiiffmqNB9/
It definitely smelled a little funny...

Ryan Mooney
04-05-2013, 4:14 PM
WOW that's neat. My mother-in-law raises chickens as a side project. We have a great relationship and she has a warped sense of humor like I do. I think I'm going to make a series of eggs that look badly hand written (think the cows form chick fil-a) asking for more food and better living conditions or they are going to stop laying eggs and plant them randomly around the hen house next time I visit. Hummmm.... might need to set up a hidden camera as well.... lmao!

ROFL I like the way you think sir!

Mike Null
04-05-2013, 4:18 PM
and I was about to say "you'd never catch a guy with a Trotec doing eggs".;)

Walt Langhans
04-06-2013, 8:23 AM
ROFL I like the way you think sir!

Thanks! Inside my head is one interesting place to say the least ;)

Craig Matheny
04-08-2013, 3:19 PM
We did Ostrich eggs for a company in Solvang, Ca. but did they smell, the stink was so bad we moved the laser outside to do the order then never did any more.