PDA

View Full Version : Need help! How to remove lacquer from aluminium fast?

Paulius Lukosius
03-14-2013, 6:09 PM
hi guys.
I have an impact engraving printer mpx-90. I don't know if you familiar with it but it makes engraving by striking surface with diamond needle. The things I was about to engrave were aluminium cards. So I purchased aluminium cards which were made for laser engraving thinking they will be fine.... Little did I know with lacquer coating the impact engraving looks bad...
I managed to remove lacquer from one of the cards with acetone and my nail (spent 10 minutes doing so). The results were drastically better:
However I have couple thousand of such cards and I cant spend 10 minutes with every card... Does anyone has any idea how could I remove lacquer fast and without damaging a card? I really need help :confused:
I tried leaving them in a Jar of acetone for some days but it was still hard to remove. Is there any chemical which would get job done ? Thank you!

Dan Hintz
03-14-2013, 7:05 PM
Paint stripper (not thinner)?

And do yourself a favor... edit out the potty-mouth language before the mods get a hold of this post.

Paulius Lukosius
03-14-2013, 7:26 PM
Can paint stripper remove lacquer clearly? I can use any sand paper because even 2000 one leaves micro scratches which I cant polish. What paint stripper should I use?

Joe Hillmann
03-14-2013, 7:41 PM
You might want to try MEK. That stuff melts just about everything it touches.

Paulius Lukosius
03-14-2013, 7:46 PM
Yeah but MEK is little bit danger to play with isnt it?

Gary Hair
03-14-2013, 7:54 PM
I think I'd look for a source of non-coated cards instead of screwing with the ones you have.

Paulius Lukosius
03-14-2013, 7:57 PM
Yes I know and I already have source where to get stock next time but right now I have couple thousand of such cards and I dont want just to waste it. It is decent amount of money there. I was thinking about selling them for half price I got it but Im not sure I will find a buyer..

Mel Fulks
03-14-2013, 8:33 PM
MEK is a little stronger than acetone ,I don't know that it is more dangerous. Any chance of asking manufacturer how to remove that particular coating?

Gary Hair
03-14-2013, 8:46 PM
Yes I know and I already have source where to get stock next time but right now I have couple thousand of such cards and I dont want just to waste it. It is decent amount of money there. I was thinking about selling them for half price I got it but Im not sure I will find a buyer..

I understand completely, but I would have to think about the wasted time vs the wasted money. I would bet that if you put the cards on ebay you could sell them for what you paid for them. What about asking the vendor for a return? They may charge a restocking fee but that may be less than a loss selling them. Just things to think about.

Bruce Dorworth
03-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Have you tried Alcohol? That work on regular lacquer.

Bruce

George M. Perzel
03-15-2013, 1:04 AM
Hello?? What's wrong with soaking in lacquer thinner??
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mike Null
03-15-2013, 6:36 AM
Sell them or scrap them. There isn't enough time in the day to mess with this job.

Frank barry
03-15-2013, 7:31 AM
yep sounds like the best option sell or scrap in the end of the day time in money

Chuck Stone
03-15-2013, 2:12 PM
don't scrap them.. I'd be interested in trying them out.

Bruce Dorworth
03-15-2013, 2:52 PM
I would be willing to try one and then buy some of them.

Bruce

Martin Boekers
03-15-2013, 3:11 PM
Are you sure they are laquered and not anodized?

Bruce Dorworth
04-04-2013, 2:39 AM
Paulius, I just quickly engraved a couple of the cards with plain text at 300dpi. The silver card looked better than I thought, but is not as dark as it appears( that is caused by a reflection). I tried to post these in a private message but couldn't find how to post the images from my computer. If you would like me to engrave something else just send me a file.

Bruce

Dan Hintz
04-04-2013, 7:35 AM
Bruce,

I can't tell if it's just the pictures or the actual engraving... are the letter edges all wobbly, particularly on the blue piece?