PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Boice Crane cabinet saw?

steven pratt
03-14-2013, 5:00 PM
I found a BC table saw in pretty good condition that I'm thinking about purchasing. Not sure of the model number but the motor is mounted inside the cabinet on the trunion, not on the back with the drifting pulley. Year of manuf appears to be late 50's early 60's. Baldor 1.5hp motor. Left tilt. Saw appears to be complete and in good working order. Standard fence included. 3/4 diameter arbor is a drawback. Appears to be a well built machine but there's not much info available on them.

For a little more money I could buy a brand new Ridgid R4512. Advantages are that it's brand new, lifetime warranty, better safety features, better fence. It's already on wheels so I don't have to buy a mobile base.

This saw will be going in a basement workshop and to be honest I really don't think it's possible to wrestle a Unisaw down there even if I wanted to because of the weight. Both the BC and the Ridgid appear to be light enough to handle.

Either saw will be a big step up from my Shopsmith. Would appreciate any advice. Also very interested to hear from some folks who've used a BC.

richard poitras
03-14-2013, 8:15 PM
No help on the BC but a striped down Uni-saw is not that heavy and if you can get one of the other saws in your basement I would say getting a cabinet saw down there would not be that much more difficult. Good luck with your decision.

Matt Day
03-14-2013, 8:19 PM
I agree with Richard. Cabinet saws really aren't that big or heavy if you remove things like extension wings, top, and motor.

steven pratt
03-14-2013, 9:20 PM
Ok makes sense. I have a budget restriction too, of $500, so that pretty much limits my choices. Unless I get really lucky I'm not going to get into a Unisaw or a Powermatic in my budget, especially considering I'd have to buy a mobile base for them as well.

Really looks like my choices are the BC or the Ridgid. I'll keep scouring CL though and see what turns up.

Bill Neely
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Check the vintagemachinery.org database for photos to identify the BC model and post any questions you have - other than 'what's it worth?'. I've never had one but they seem to be well thought of and I'd be more inclined to buy it than the Ridgid.

Bill Geibe
03-15-2013, 1:31 AM
I'd be inclined to choose the Ridgid, too. It's new, has a good warranty, good safety features (riving knife) and has a good reputation. I had an earlier model Ridgid, a 3660, and it was an excellent saw.

However, now I have a '79 Unisaw - in my basement. I did like the guys above said and took off the motor, wings, fence and table top and it was relatively easy getting it down the steps. I probably could have done it with the table top on but it's just four bolts.

Good luck on your quest!

Bill

steven pratt
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks.

Another thing that's making me lean more towards the Ridgid is that it's plug and play. The BC runs pretty well but it's an old machine and will need some work to get everything to my liking. The Ridgid is plug and play with the exception of the normal tuning which I'm comfortable with. I just want to cut some wood and finish some projects. Maybe down the road when I have more free time I'll pick up an old basket case carcass and bring her back to life.

I have been on the vintage iron forum referred to above. There's not a whole lot on the BC table saws, I don't think they built very many of them. They're an odd duck for sure which intrigues me. But god forbid you need any parts!

steven pratt
04-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I ended up purchasing the Boice Crane saw.

I work for a company that manufactures 'five axis' CNC grinding centers; and in our applications, surface finish is paramount. Not to toot my own horn, but because of my background, I feel I know what to look for in a machine in terms of rigidity. Boice Crane built a good machine. They were a very innovative company. Top notch casting designs.

This cabinet saw is the coolest machine I've ever owned. And that's all I have to say.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Now that you own it-- pictures would be great! Help document it for future generations!

Rich Riddle
04-05-2013, 7:09 AM
I ended up purchasing the Boice Crane saw.

I work for a company that manufactures 'five axis' CNC grinding centers; and in our applications, surface finish is paramount. Not to toot my own horn, but because of my background, I feel I know what to look for in a machine in terms of rigidity. Boice Crane built a good machine. They were a very innovative company. Top notch casting designs.

This cabinet saw is the coolest machine I've ever owned. And that's all I have to say.

You will like the Boice Crane. If you have any questions, concerns, or needs go to www dot owwm dot org and post. The members will offer you information or tell you where to find parts. Be cautious in the classified section. Some of the "members" exclusively posting there are nothing more than garage sale and Craigslist folks who don't have the best knowledge about parts interchanges, etc. However if you see that someone who regularly posts in the forums (not just the advertising sections) offers something for sale, get the part fast.

Matt Day
04-05-2013, 7:20 AM
Congrats on the new saw!

Have you heard if the old iron website? ;-). Just kidding

I'm glad you picked up the older saw, it will be fun and rewarding to put some time and effort into a well built piece if machinery.

steven pratt
04-05-2013, 8:50 AM
I'll get some pictures up. I cleaned and lubed the ways last night and got everything working nice and smooth. Found a couple bearings in the handwheel that need to be replaced and got them on order as well.

John Sanford
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
hmmm, 5 axis CNC grinding eh? Sounds like if you need parts that aren't available, you'll be able to make connections pretty easy to have parts made.

steven pratt
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I'll start a thread on the owwm.org website with pictures documenting the machine. I'll post a link on this thread when it's up.

I can probably get access to a metal shop if I need to make something. It's been years but I'd love to jump on a Bridgeport with a turntable again. I'd turn the garage into metal shop but my wife would kill me!

Chris Padilla
04-05-2013, 1:30 PM
No pics...didn't happen, Steven! :D

Doug Ladendorf
04-05-2013, 1:52 PM
BC made good stuff. With a little love that saw should last longer than you! :)

steven pratt
04-05-2013, 3:36 PM
Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

The picture of the fence rail was taken at the seller's place. Look how it's mounted. They machined a concave surface on the mounts which are part of the table casting. What a great design.

steven pratt
04-05-2013, 8:45 PM
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=15991

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=15992

Bill ThompsonNM
04-06-2013, 9:11 AM
Nice pictures! Nice saw! You're going to have fun with that one. A lot more than the Rigid saw I'll bet! Congratulations