PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF

Glenn Hodges
05-08-2005, 3:10 PM
This one, #741, is 7.5 in. wide X 4.5 in. high, finished with tung oil solution, then buffed. Comments appreciated.
Thanks

John Hart
05-08-2005, 4:12 PM
Wow Glenn...That is gorgeous! I love the overall shape, and that wood sure has a lot of character. What brand name of Tung oil did you use? I need to get away from what I've been messing with.

I have a procedure question too... I assume that you hollowed it out and got the wall thickness even throughout.... How did you do that?

Glenn Hodges
05-08-2005, 4:30 PM
Wow Glenn...That is gorgeous! I love the overall shape, and that wood sure has a lot of character. What brand name of Tung oil did you use? I need to get away from what I've been messing with.

I have a procedure question too... I assume that you hollowed it out and got the wall thickness even throughout.... How did you do that?
John, thanks for your kind comments. I use Lee Valley's Polymerinzed Tung Oil. I use Russ Fairfield's formula of 1/3 equal parts of the tung oil, spar polyurethane, and turpentine. I hollow it out with a bowl gouge, and a Stewart Armbrace with a swan neck attachment. I do a lot of stopping and measuring.

Ernie Nyvall
05-08-2005, 5:24 PM
You do some real nice pieces Glenn. I am always amazed at your form and finish.

Question: When you do somthing like this and taller, do you leave extra thickness in the bottom for stability?

Ernie

Dick Parr
05-08-2005, 5:28 PM
That is really nice Glenn and I love the rings at the top. One question tho; Did you burn in or color the rings?

Really nice Glenn :)

Glenn Hodges
05-08-2005, 6:35 PM
Ernie, yep the bottom is a little thicker than the sides. Because mesquite is so dense and heavy when people pick this thing up they are amazed at how light it is.
The hole at the top is 1/2 inch wide which I bored with a forstner bit to keep me from having to sand the inside as smooth as the outside. I did all this hollowing work through a hole about 1.5 inches wide in the top, then I put a collar of mesquite in the hole, called a collar. Most use a really different color, but I don't have any ebony so I had plenty of mesquite. After I glued in the collar you could see the glue ring so I took a thin parting tool and made the rings. I colored the rings with a black magic marker. This hid my glue ring and it looks as if I hollowed the whole thing through the 1/2 inch whole. Now you know my secret, but don't you dare tell anyone.

Mark Singer
05-08-2005, 7:09 PM
Glen,

I love the work you have doing....another real beauty!

Fred LeBail
05-08-2005, 7:16 PM
Beautiful piece Glen, I haven't tried any hollow forms yet still trying to do the bowl thingy.
When I do I will be looking for advice so beware.

Michael Stafford
05-08-2005, 7:58 PM
Glenn, always an inspiration to see your work. I am light years from being able to do hollow forms. I do love to see your pretty work!!!! :) :D

John Miliunas
05-08-2005, 8:28 PM
Aw heck, Glenn, that ain't nuthin'! I'm sure I could duplicate it. Yeah. Right. Only in my dreams!:rolleyes: That is beautiful and the finish is absolutely outstanding! I did a small Mesquite bowl once and though it turned out OK, I could not even get close to as nice of a finish as you have! Hey, and thanks for the little "trade secrets"!:) Well done!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
05-09-2005, 8:24 PM
Glenn, I really appreciate that "hole" answer, and your secret is safe with me. You always give more than asked, but everything that is needed to be known. I thank you for that.

Ernie