PDA

View Full Version : Robust Lathes - Buy direct or through a dealer ???

Glen Blanchard
03-14-2013, 9:23 AM
Robust has a number of dealers spread across the country which allows one to order one of their lathes from either Robust directly or through a dealer. What are the advantages of ordering through a dealer? directly through Robust? I presume pricing is the same. Is there a service the dealer will provide that will not be had if ordered directly? If the dealer is local, will he set up the lathe? No, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on an American Beauty but I'm curious.

John Sanders
03-14-2013, 9:42 AM
For me it would be about sales tax . . . 7% is 7% and Robust is not in my state. $8,000 lathe = $560.00 . . . . . that is a lot of accessories.

Glen Blanchard
03-14-2013, 9:48 AM
Good point, but if Robust has a dealer presence in my state (which they indeed do) would they not have to charge sales tax even if purchased direct?

Jerry Marcantel
03-14-2013, 9:50 AM
But then you need to buy gas to pick it up and return home unless you live in the adjoining state and wouldn't be too far. If you live over 1000 miles your your tax savings for accessories just turned into exhaust which you can't recoup. I think some taxes could be recovered..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Rodney Walker
03-14-2013, 9:55 AM
Taxes is a valid issue, so's shipping. If you have a dealer nearby you may not have to pay shipping. Check to see which option works best for you.
Rodney

Bruce Markwardt
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I would call Robust and ask them the pros and cons of each alternative. They are very approachable and I think if there was a way to save you money without costing them money (tax or transportation) they would be all over it.

Reed Gray
03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I would think one difference would be if you buy from direct from Brent, he makes all the money. If you buy from the dealer, the dealer gets a cut as well.

robo hippy

Jon McElwain
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
The biggest advantage I see to going through a dealer is being able to walk into the dealer's shop, touch the lathe and have them tell you all about it.

Alan Trout
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I bought direct. Mainly because to many of the dealers I know and did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. But if you are in Texas talk to Steve Worchester he is in plano. Here is his website. http://www.turningwood.com/index.html He is a heck of a nice guy and I bet he would let you taken his for a spin. Or if you get to San Antonio stop by my shop you are welcome anytime.

Alan

Jon Nuckles
03-14-2013, 2:43 PM
If your state has a sales tax, it almost certainly charges a use tax as well. While out of state sellers are not required to collect it for your state when they sell to you, you are still obligated to file a return and pay it. Many people don't, obviously, but that's not the same as not having to.

Not sure if having a dealer in your state would require Robust to collect the tax if you bought directly. Woodcraft does not collect sales tax on online sales if there is a franchisee store in state, but Rockler does (I think) because their stores are company-owned.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
The best advice is to give Brent a call and discuss with him. There wasn't a dealer up here in the extreme upper left-hand corner of the country where I live (Seattle Area), but Brent was willing to line me up with an owner within driving distance that generously allowed me to spend some quality time turning on his AB. When I pulled the trigger and ordered, Brent suggested that, if he brought the lathe to San Jose to use in his booth during the symposium, there would be no shipping if I took it home with me. Also, since the transaction actually took place in Wisconsin (I paid in full before the Symposium) there was no sales tax involved.
Brent and Debbie put up with me wobbling all over the place for many months and were helpful and patient through the entire process. It's a big investment. I wanted to make absolutely certain before committing.
Give them a call and see what you can work out. If you do go with the Robust, I'm pretty sure you'll find nothing to regret in the process. I didn't

Reed Gray
03-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I have a standing invitation with any of the locals, and the local Woodcraft Store, now that they are being offered through Woodcraft, to come on over and play. Not really that different from most turners, at least not that way.....

robo hippy

Jeff Fagen
03-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Darn the luck I live in Wisconsin and have to pay sales tax! Oh I can't afford one anyway. :p