PDA

View Full Version : anniversary bowl / platter

alex grams
03-14-2013, 12:53 AM
My parents 40th wedding anniversary is upcoming, so I turned and carved this simple fruit bowl/platter for them. My turning is average, and my carving skills are average, but between the two, I think I can add up to something nice every so often. The bowl is mahogany, and i still have several coats of wipe on Arm-R-Seal I need to put on it.

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2013, 1:07 AM
Don't sell yourself short Alex. I think it turned out beautifully and I'm sure your parents will love it!
Your form looks great, the grain is centered very well and I think you did an awesome job on the carving!

Harvey M. Taylor
03-14-2013, 5:53 AM
What Cathy said!!! Max

Fred Belknap
03-14-2013, 7:00 AM
I agree with the above posts, a very nice tribute to your parents.

Dennis Nagle
03-14-2013, 8:00 AM
Very nice.

Doug W Swanson
03-14-2013, 8:51 AM
That's not just average. It's beautiful! Excellent job...

Jerry Marcantel
03-14-2013, 9:43 AM
What everyone else has said, but what happened to "Mom and Dad"? Your lettering is something I'm very envious of. I'd have outre passe's at the end of every letter. You did good. Excellent job...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Eric Gourieux
03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Excellent job. They will love it.

Mark Detrick
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
That's beautiful! What a great gift!

alex grams
03-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Jerry, the lettering is actually one of the easier things to do. I must admit though that I cheat though on spacing and layout. I turned the bowl, measured the diameters for where I could place text, then did a sketchup model, found the font i liked, and used an add-on for sketchup to curved the text around the diameter of the bowl. I then printed it to full size and transfered the lettering onto the bowl via carbon paper. This method allows me to completely set the lettering size and spacing so I can see what I like, and ensure that it is properly balanced and setup before I ever start carving. This lettering was done with a simple 11/3 veiner/gouge. Some of the more intensive lettering I have done is the traditional times new roman, where the letters have a V shape profile, and you have to cut to depth, then from each side to get the V shape. It is a much more formal look, and much more intensive.

I would guess this lettering took 30-40 minutes to carve.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Great tribute and they will love it. Very well done.