PDA

View Full Version : Corian Vector Table Version 3

Keith Outten
03-13-2013, 9:05 PM
My third Corian Vector Table (Version 3):

I made several changes to this one, the most notable is that I have only used one piece of half inch thick Corian for the table surface. Because the table is thinner than Version 2 I increased the number of supports under the table to four one inch transverse supports and made the 24" longitudinal supports one and a half inches. I used my Laser Engraver, moving from corner to corner and measured the flatness of the table using a feeler gauge, it appears to be within approximately 0.010". I intend to see if I can improve the tolerance by machining the longitudinal supports on my CNC Router as they are the only surfaces that contact the laser bed.

The 12" by 24" table surface has 4,608 prisms, basically 16 prisms per square inch of surface. I used a 60 degree Vbit to machine the prism rows to 3/16" deep which should allow for plenty of air movement directly under the surface of the material being cut. Note that once again I have not included an XY fence or a scale in this design, the reason is that I prefer to be able to use tape to hold the plastic down to the vector table which keeps it as flat as possible. I have an idea how I can add this feature in the next version so the fences can be raised or lowered depending on the project.

The offset of the two outermost transverse supports provide handles which make it easy to install and remove the table from the laser engraver.

I have asked Mike Null to test this version of my Corian vector table and tell me what he likes and dislikes so i can continue to improve on the design. Your C&C are welcome.

Dan Hintz
03-14-2013, 6:27 AM
Keith,

My guess is you milled (V-bit) the surface and then added the supports? What about flipping the process? Assemble the Corian table ans then cut the pyramids. If your CNC table is flat, that would make sure any variances in the assembled Corian table were milled away with the V-bit.

Mike Null
03-14-2013, 7:00 AM
Keith

Thanks for the offer. I'm looking forward to receiving it. Nice work by the way.

Keith Outten
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Dan,

I had considered machining the prisms last however it is much more difficult to clamp the vector table to the CNC Router table once the supports are installed. Once the design is proven I will design a custom fixture so I can machine the prisms after glue up and assembly. I'm sure that this will be much faster as well possibly cutting the assembly time by at least 25%. I plan to build a fixture to assist in the glue up stage as well and add alignment studs so the parts go together perfectly every time without fussing with the clamps.

For cutting engravers plastic I think this design is perfect but that doesn't mean others will feel the same way so getting Mike to test it in his shop will give me some insight whether this design will work for others.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-14-2013, 3:15 PM
It will be interesting to read how well it works. How long did it take to machine?

Keith Outten
03-14-2013, 7:18 PM
Mike,

It took 101 minutes to machine the prisms and I now have almost six hours in the table. After I machine my spoil-board flat again it should only take ten minutes to machine the suports and another half hour to test the table again.

Mick A Martin
03-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Keith,

Nice design, could you build your vector table complete then glue 4 piece of 1/4 Corian 1"x 1" on each long side and use then to hold it down while machine your prisms, then use a flush trim router to cut them tabs off.

Keith Outten
03-15-2013, 6:58 AM
Mick,

I don't think so, the supports under the table are what keeps it flat. I tried to use supports that were one inch high on the longitudinals but they had some flex across 24" so I increased the width to 1.5". The short supports are one inch thick but they don't flex over 12".

I have been using a Corian vector table for a long time and I really like how well it works with engravers plastic.

Albert Nix
03-15-2013, 8:53 AM
Sure looks nice Keith. How about cutting? Will you burn the tips off if you hit them? Wish I could find a good source locally for corian. Counter top folks don't seem to want to turn any loose around here.

Chuck Stone
03-15-2013, 2:25 PM
Wish I could find a good source locally for corian. Counter top folks don't seem to want to turn any loose around here.

Wow .. that's surprising! Around here, they'll beg you to take it because if you don't,
they have to pay to have it hauled away. I'd go and pick up a few pieces, and they'd
be trying to stuff more into my truck. (the stuff I didn't want)
They just want it OUT!

Keith Outten
03-15-2013, 6:27 PM
Albert,

Yes, the Corian vector table is sacrificial in that the laser will do some damage to the prisms over time but it will last for many years. I suspect that the Corian table will last longer than the traditional aluminum style tables because they eventually get so dirty you damage them trying to get them clean and some of them won't stay flat. The Corian table can be soaked in something like Simple Green and then pressure washed, it is a rock solid very durable design. My first Corian table has over three years of use and it really isn't showing signs of significant wear yet. You can see places on the table that the laser has cut into the Corian but it doesn't do a lot of damage.

I will take some pictures of the first table and post them here later tonight.

Keith Outten
03-15-2013, 6:34 PM
Chuck,

When I first started using Corian I found a local counter top shop that was happy to give me all of their drops for the reason you stated, they didn't have to pay to have it hauled to the dump. Over a couple of years I collected over 14,000 pounds of sink cut-outs, I had them stacked behind my shop until i started giving them away when people came to visit. I did find a local shop in Norfolk Virginia that sells their Corian remnants left over from jobs. I have purchased large pieces from them occasionally because they almost always have the hard to find colors.

For the most part I am generating enough of my own scraps these days to satisfy my needs for small projects but I don't throw much away as the small pieces become pen blanks.

Chuck Stone
03-15-2013, 7:10 PM
Yep.. I've bought some too for the same reason.
hard to find 3/4" anymore .. especially in solid colors!
(never seen a Corian pen that didn't show a seam unless
it was made from thicker stock..)

Mostly I was using it to build mold boxes and it didn't
matter what color it was.

Between the soapstone quarry and the countertop fabricators,
they'd be happy if I bought a truck with a beefier suspension!
The Corian fabricator just found someone to take away his
40+ tons of scrap..

Albert Nix
03-16-2013, 7:58 AM
Well I will have to dig harder. I want to use it for small vac. fixtures on the router table and try carving small signs.

Keith Outten
03-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Below are three pictures of the first Corian vector table. You can see from the blue discoloration that I have cut a truckload of blue engravers plastic with the first table.

Sandy Henry
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Lookin good Keith, When will you be willing to sell one of these? I'd like to talk.

Keith Outten
03-16-2013, 3:08 PM
Sandy,

PM sent.

Nathan Shaffer
03-16-2013, 5:11 PM
Keith,
I really like the idea of using the Corian to make a vector table. It would make collecting small pieces much easier. With your design would there be much flex with a piece measuring 16X12? Would there be any advantage of using Aluminum for a frame? You could save a couple of pounds if you where to use Square tubing or U-Channel.

Respectively,
Nathan

Keith Outten
03-16-2013, 6:08 PM
Nathan,

There is no flex in this style vector table and it wouldn't be a problem no matter what size. Using Dupont Corian adhesive to join the table surface with the supports provides a permanent connection. Using aluminum or any metal for the frame would probably weaken the table as joining two different materials would not be as strong as the Corian adhesives bond. Also cleaning the table would most likely be more difficult with dissimular materials.

Collecting small pieces is a snap. When I cut hundreds of 5/8" tall letters from a sheet I place a piece of cardboard on top, flip the table over and leave the cardboard on a table ready to sort the letters and numbers.

This new design is much lighter than the first two because I only use one sheet of Corian for the table. In the past I glued two half inch pieces together and then I machined the prisms. Improving the supports has made the table stronger and lighter at the same time.

Nathan Shaffer
03-16-2013, 7:59 PM
Keith,
I guess my real question is if there is no flex, then why have the supports? But then I realized it is so that you can pick it up. It has been too long since I have made anything.

Respectively,
Nathan
Former Air Force Machinist
Laser engraving apprentice

Keith Outten
03-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Nathan,

Sorry, I misunderstood your inquiry I guess. The supports are what provides the necessary rigidity to keep the table flat. When you remove as much material from the table machining the prisms the piece looses some of its ability to remain flat. Adding the supports takes care of this problem and lifts the table off of the engraving bed. Now you only have two contact points that make it easier to adjust the level of the vector table as necessary.