PDA

View Full Version : Watermelon Blank w/Contrasting Nib End

Billy Tallant
03-13-2013, 7:55 PM
I've been wanting to find time to turn this blank for a while now. Painted the tubes, reverse painted the blank. Tube all glued in. All of this was done a while back. Finally got out to the shop at noon & decided to work on it. Everything going good, turning down smooth. Started to work on the nib end & bam, grabbed too much blank. Nice 1/2" chunk decided to go elsewhere. After inspecting the damage, started to clean it up. Started looking for something to blend in with this watermelon colored blank. Cut offs everywhere & couldn't find anything that I was satisfied with. So I decided to just grab a nice dark cutoff & make a loud contrast between the two pieces. C & C always welcome.

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2013, 9:43 PM
Neat looking pen, but I was expecting to see some seeds and juice dripping. Never saw a watermelon turned, but did see a potato turned at a demo at SWAT a couple of years ago.

Billy Tallant
03-14-2013, 3:23 AM
Neat looking pen, but I was expecting to see some seeds and juice dripping. Never saw a watermelon turned, but did see a potato turned at a demo at SWAT a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the comments Thomas! Sorry I left off the seeds & juice drippings. I will have to work on that!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Nice looking pen Billy. Don't ya just hate it when that happens? Nice save.

bob svoboda
03-14-2013, 1:44 PM
I agree-nice save.

James Combs
03-14-2013, 1:53 PM
If you had said the nib end was a mixture of crushed water melon seeds and resin I would have believed it.;) Nice pen in any case. Getting ready to turn on in similar style myself.

Billy Tallant
03-14-2013, 8:09 PM
Nice looking pen Billy. Don't ya just hate it when that happens? Nice save.

Lucky I was just making this one for my inventory. I hate it when you have a customer waiting on a special order pen & something like this happens. Thanks for the comments Bernie!

I agree-nice save.

Thanks for the comments Bob!

If you had said the nib end was a mixture of crushed water melon seeds and resin I would have believed it.;) Nice pen in any case. Getting ready to turn on in similar style myself.

Thanks for the comments James!

Jim Burr
03-15-2013, 1:26 PM
Great save Billy!! What colors did you use the for the tubes and blank?

Mike Cruz
03-15-2013, 3:43 PM
Billy, that's a comfort pen, isn't it? Could have just used the squishy soft part...

Billy Tallant
03-16-2013, 9:25 AM
Great save Billy!! What colors did you use the for the tubes and blank?

Thanks for the comments Jim! I used pink for the tubes & the blank.

Billy, that's a comfort pen, isn't it? Could have just used the squishy soft part...

Thanks for the comments Mike. Actually it was just a chrome slimline that I had. I had a chrome centerband in my parts box, so I thought I would use it instead of the smaller band.