PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Gloat

Greg McClurg
03-13-2013, 6:57 PM
I took advantage of the recent PM sale and now have a shiney new 3520b. Now I just need to learn how to turn:D

Greg

Harry Robinette
03-13-2013, 7:11 PM
Well lucky you having the money at just the right time for a sale. Greg you have to be one happy guy I know I would be.The only thing is now the expensive part comes,getting all the tooling so you can learn.

Jamie Donaldson
03-13-2013, 7:13 PM
Wait a minute here Greg, you have a Mustard Monster and don't know how to use it?? Isn't there some story about having the cart before the horse??;)

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2013, 7:13 PM
Greg - Congrats on your new lathe! You are going to love it! Looking forward to seeing some turnings real soon!! Have fun!

Greg McClurg
03-13-2013, 7:23 PM
Jamie, I just started turning in July and have been using a PM91...which is a 90 with the riser blocks. I've got a long ways to go to come close to the quality of what everyone here turns out.

Harry, I've already gone a long ways down the vortex. I've read on this forum many times about the vortex...I just had no idea it was so deep:eek:

Greg

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2013, 7:24 PM
Congrats on a fine lathe. No time like the present to learn to turn. Be safe and have fun.

Jon Nuckles
03-13-2013, 8:00 PM
Very shiny, indeed. You are going to love it.

Doug W Swanson
03-13-2013, 8:34 PM
I've had my 3520 for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it! Congrats!

Thom Sturgill
03-13-2013, 8:36 PM
Jamie, I just started turning in July and have been using a PM91...which is a 90 with the riser blocks. I've got a long ways to go to come close to the quality of what everyone here turns out.

Harry, I've already gone a long ways down the vortex. I've read on this forum many times about the vortex...I just had no idea it was so deep:eek:

Greg

OK that explains the tools in the background...
/you do know that you've just made half of the forum jealous...

Timothy Mann
03-13-2013, 9:15 PM
OK that explains the tools in the background...
/you do know that you've just made half of the forum jealous...

I am one of the jealous ones, very nice!

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2013, 9:39 PM
Congratulations. I know that I really like mine after 5 years. You'd better get some shower curtains ready to protect your walls and contain the shavings. That dude will really let you thow shavings about 10' if you are not careful, and it would be a shame to mess up that neat shop. The sap in green wood is another good reason for shower curtains.

David DeCristoforo
03-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, I'm sure that is a fine machine. I've never worked on one but I saw one first hand at Jim Keenan's place and it sure looks nice. But, being the "old school" type that I am, I'd be hard pressed to feel the need to replace a PM91! I just really prefer the old iron to the new.

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2013, 1:09 AM
Congrats Greg! That's a great gloat and I'm sure you're going to enjoy turning on it!

Dennis Nagle
03-14-2013, 3:53 AM
That is a great machine Greg. I think it is the best bang for the buck for a wood lathe.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-14-2013, 5:50 AM
Good choice on a new lathe, Greg. Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks when you visit Texas. I hope to 'fix you up' with some fresh cut mesquite.Max

Fred Belknap
03-14-2013, 7:06 AM
A great lathe and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Hope you had help setting that head stock on the ways, that thing is heavy. Your shop is just to clean, need shavings:D

Glen Blanchard
03-14-2013, 8:02 AM
I hate mustard with a passion. With one exception. It's sitting in your shop. Congrats!!!

allen thunem
03-14-2013, 8:29 AM
Good choice on a new lathe, Greg. Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks when you visit Texas. I hope to 'fix you up' with some fresh cut mesquite.Max
what is going on in texas in the next couple weeks??
swing through denver on your way home and unburden yourself of some of that mesquite:)
not that far our of yoru way i dont think::))

Rex Guinn
03-14-2013, 8:56 AM
Great lathe you will love it, I would love to bring my tools and come to Durango and help you learn to turn! What a great place to live.

Greg McClurg
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Allen, I'm not sure how much mesquite I'm going to be getting, but if it's quite a bit I will be happy to share some with you the next time I get to Denver.

Rex...you're welcome to come and teach me anytime, and yes Durango is a great place to live. Especially if you like low wages and a high cost of living:(

Richard Coers
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow, not sure which is shinier, the lathe or the shop? You didn't put it in your bedroom did you? Congrats!

Greg McClurg
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
A number of you have commented on the cleanliness of my shop. I wish I could say it always looks like that, but you are only looking at one small section. I cleaned that area well just so I didn't have anything in the way while setting up the new toy. I can assure you that it won't look like that by the end of the week:)

Greg

bob svoboda
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Congratulations on a great purchase. I remember (vaguely) when mine was that shiny and my shop was that clean.

charlie knighton
03-14-2013, 6:57 PM
congratulations, enjoy

Alan Trout
03-14-2013, 7:00 PM
Congratulations and go have some fun with the new toy.

Alan

Baxter Smith
03-14-2013, 7:19 PM
Congrats on a nice lathe! Enjoy!