PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information

Harold Matthews
03-13-2013, 4:18 PM
I live in Costa Rica and have access to different species of tropical wood. I am making up Blanks for turning things like Bowls, Pens, etc. I don't know everything about turning, so, I would appreciate info from turners here, so I can make quality blanks, like grain orientation, cross cutting, angle cutting, etc. I am not a turner more of a butcher. :eek::)

I am investigating stabilizing wood. Most Spalted wood down here is not soft as most might think. I have sent out samples of the normally dry bare wood to people as I meet them on the internet. Now that I have an interest in hardening and dyeing wood, I need as much input as possible.

This is not in any way an advertisement, until I get good at it, and then, will probably seek permission from the site owners to do a REAL ad, paid, as it were.

So, can anyone tell me from experience what I should try to do to obtain good results, OR, is stabilizing and or dyeing, not really necessary for the more solid species. I can show photos of some things made from samples I sent out, if that would be OK. Being new around here, I don't want to be seen as taking advantage of the site. Wish I had more time to participate also. Thanks for any input. Harold

Erik Loza
03-13-2013, 4:42 PM
Harold, there was a whole row of shops that sold nothing but turnings when my wife and I were last in Arenal. In fact, we brought a bunch home with us. It was right on the main drag in town. I'm sure you could ask those turners what they suggest with regards to the local species. Some shops were just resellers while others appeared to the turning in-house.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Harold Matthews
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Erik. Have you had any problem with the turnings getting out of shape or cracking ?? Down here, everything is air dried to 16% roughly. When the rainy season comes, doors stick and cutting board counter tops crack open. Then, when the dry season is here, doors have gaps and the boards go back into shape.

We live about 20 miles as the crow flies, from Fortuna, and about 35 miles from Nuevo Arenal.

I'm trying to get things into Fl. so my son can mail them out. He usually slows down with work around May 1st or so. He would do the stabilizing and dyeing, if that's the way we lean.

Erik Loza
03-14-2013, 9:22 AM
No cracking or warping I have seen. But none of our turnings are bowls. Mostly urn-type things or solid globes, candle holders, etc.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Harold Matthews
03-14-2013, 9:29 AM
OK, thanks. What I'm trying to find out is, on really soft-punky wood, it is stabilized. I can get that here, but, 90% of what I get is solid wood. I'm trying to find out if this needs to be stabilized to enhance the turning qualities and finish ? I mess around with turning bowls, curtain rod ends, etc. Never done pens or knife scales or pistol scales.

I would even be into sending out some samples for experienced turners IF they would report back on turning quality of the wood and IF stabilizing would be necessary. If photos of some wood pieces would help with input, I finally figured out how to post photos to the forum.

Erik Loza
03-14-2013, 9:59 AM
Do they work with punky woods down there? Everything we saw/bought was hardwood: Rosewood, teak, a mohagany of some type, etc. Didn't see anything spalted or that type of thing. Every turning we bought feels like a brick. All pieces were like that. You should really go over to la Fortuna and check out the shops. That will give you an idea what does and doesn't work.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Harold Matthews
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Actually, I just found plenty of info. It's a rainy day, and, I just don't feel like getting out, so, I tried a new search technique and what a difference it made. I'm not very good at searching, and, project overload keeps me from being online for long periods of time.

Thanks Erik for your input. Harold