PDA

View Full Version : Excelsior Mini Lathe?

Patrick Bernardo
03-13-2013, 3:30 PM
Hey guys, I know you're all probably sick of these questions, but I've been wanting to start turning. I really just want to turn some tool handles, some other short things - like beer tap handles for my homebrewing - and maybe occasionally some short legs for chairs and such. Definitely I'd like to also turn pens. I see neither the turning of bowls nor the turning of really long table legs in my future.

So... assuming I'm aware of the limitations in terms of the size of the material I might turn, is this lathe otherwise an acceptable one? What criteria should I be looking for? It's on sale right now at Rockler for $199 and that seems to me to be a pretty good price. I have read the other 'beginner lathe' threads, so I'm aware that I will have to sink some money into tools and accessories. Just as a machine, is this one ok for the price? Or is it going to simply be a source of frustration?

Thom Sturgill
03-13-2013, 5:09 PM
I am not familiar with this machine, but from the ad, for the uses you listed, it should be adequate, but just. The low speed is OK for spindle work but too fast for even small bowls, while the top speed is good for small finials, ornaments and such after rounding the stock. The 1/2 HP motor is limiting, but no more than on the small Jet.

PSI sells a replacement motor about that size that give variable speed and sells for about $120. Might make a decent upgrade down the road, though I have heard some questionable comments on the motor. You might want to check out the smaller Turncrafter too, especially the pen making starter kits that include some tools and pen mandrels and kits. Haven't used any of these machines either, but have not heard ad reviews either.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2013, 6:03 PM
I have to agree with Thom. Low speed is good for spindle work but not for bowls, vases, etc. Even when I sand it is less the 500 rpm which is way lower than the 760 low speed on this one. I have two friends that have this one http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12WB.html and it is a pretty nice lathe. It comes with a bed extension which is a good thing. Low speed is 150 rpm which is good and is 1 hp. They have did some nice 11 1/2" bowls with them. The new Jet 1221 VS with reverse is another good one but quite a bit higher to.

Jamie Donaldson
03-13-2013, 7:39 PM
Looks like a knockoff of the Jet 10x14, probably made in the same factory in China.

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2013, 9:50 PM
I have attended 4 or 5 one day classes using the little Jet 1014 lathes, and one was Frank Penta where we turned a 9" platter with 3 offset rings in the base. I had both the Jet 1014 and Jet 1014VS and there was more power with the 6 speed 1014 over the VS and same low speed (too fast for much out of balance). I don't have any experience with the Excelsior lathe, but the price looks attractive for a starter lathe and Rockler stand behind it (for some time anyway).

Harvey M. Taylor
03-14-2013, 6:04 AM
Yeah, that is what we all said at first. I have gone thru 4 lathes to finally get the PM3520 which I now use. Enjoy the lathe, and learna lot about turning. Max

Patrick Bernardo
03-14-2013, 8:36 AM
Haha - I know what you mean. Slippery slope indeed on this kind of stuff.

Thanks guys. So I'm leaning toward getting it. Reviews on another forum that I found in a Google search seem acceptable. If you guys don't see a serious down-side to this kind of lathe, it looks like it'll manage my near-term needs. If I end up wanting to do turning a lot, I'd have to buy a bigger lathe, but by then I'll know what I want to really spend my money on. I just can't quite kick the feeling that a lathe this cheap is NOT worth buying. (The way I feel when I walk into Harbor Freight or Home Depot.)

While the lathe from Penn State or a Jet looks nicer, the $400 price tag means waiting a year or so to save up more money. (Cause I have to get tools and such on top of the lathe...) I'm torn between jumping in now and waiting for the nicer tool.

Michael Mills
03-14-2013, 8:57 AM
You may want to take a peek at this one also.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050vs.aspx

$250 right now. ($429 on Amazon)
Electronic variable speed down to 300 rpm. Rikon says it is 1/2 HP at 6.6 amps but the new Jet is 6 amps and Jet calls it a 1 HP.

Pat Scott
03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I was at my local Rockler store last year and down in the basement they had a bunch of opened Excelsior lathes sitting on the floor. I asked the guy what was going on with them, his response was they were all customer returns. I don't remember the details or reason for return, but pretty much the Rockler guy said they were junk. You might want to talk to your store and ask what kind of defective returns or problems (if any) customers have had. If it were me I would steer clear of this one as there are plenty of other choices. If you can find a used Jet mini on Craigslist or eBay, I think I'd buy it over a new Excelsior.

art pfenn
03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I would go for the Rikon and the 6 speed instead of the vs. The 6 speed is all cast iron, 12 inch swing and a great machine. It will cost you a few more bucks but you will have no problem reselling it for $300 dollars. Rikon is a GREAT company to deal with. You have a question just call them up and they will walk you through the problem. Check out the reviews as well as Youtube.

Ron Howard
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I have to agree with Pat, we both belong to the same woodturning club which meets at Rockler, every time these lathes go on sell there always seems to be alot of them (returns) stacking up in the basement of Rocklers waiting to be sent back to the manufacturer, just remember you are going to get what you pay for !!!

Patrick Bernardo
03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the great replies. I'm going to read up more on turning and try to decide. I've read nothing but good reviews on those Rikon lathes.

Art - I'd love to hear more about the VS vs 6 speed. What is the practical difference that would make you choose the 6 speed?

However, it does look like I'm going to wait to save up more money. Lee Valley just announced free shipping. My available lathe funds are likely to dwindle very quickly. My fingers are already itching.

Scott Lux
03-14-2013, 2:07 PM
I can address the Excelsior for you. I bought the VS model (no longer offered) several years ago.

The cons:
The motor acted up, it wouldn't hold a speed after a while. It turned out to be the brushes needing cleaned.
The pulleys are inconveniently accessed from the back of the headstock.
The VS model was under-powered for anything but stoppers and pens.

The pros:
It held up well to use, and is still being used by a friend's son.
It is 1x8 thread and MT2, so accessories purchased for it fit other mini/midi lathes
Mine lined up well straight out of the box.

Overall:
I made a couple hundred stoppers on it and a bunch of pens. Small bowls were fine too. Large bowls (more than 4" or so) are possible, but not fun. It's light cuts all the way.

If you're not sure turning is a long term interest, it's not a bad way to start.

Jenny Trice
03-16-2013, 7:07 PM
Don't forget that you will need a system to sharpen your tools too. Just a few more dollars. I think you are making the right choice waiting a little longer and passing on the Excelsior. Have you been monitoring Craigslist? There are a lot of small lathes that people buy, use little and unload. Good luck.