PDA

View Full Version : Using a small bulb to gauge wall thickness when hollowing

Glen Blanchard
03-13-2013, 1:51 PM
This sounds like a great idea and apparently many turners are using this method effectively, but are there species that don't lend themselves to such a thing? I'm just wondering if it would sit on the shelf collecting dust because most woods are not sufficiently translucent even when turned very thin.

Anyone with experience?

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-13-2013, 2:48 PM
I don't try to make my hollow forms so thin that light would show through the wood. I have a tiny LED on a flexible shaft and if that shows through I am already in trouble.
faust

Jon McElwain
03-13-2013, 3:40 PM
I have used the method on a number of species. Hardwoods are a little easier than softwoods to turn thin, and of course, a light colored softwood will show light through it better than something very dark. The best advice I have for turning thin is to do so with wet wood. Wet wood seems to show the light through a little better than dry wood does, and of course, it is easier to turn.

Mike Cruz
03-13-2013, 3:47 PM
I use tulip bulbs...sometimes Hyacinth bulbs. Maybe that's why nothing shows through! I knew I was doing something wrong...drats...:o

Glen Blanchard
03-13-2013, 4:03 PM
I use tulip bulbs...sometimes Hyacinth bulbs. Maybe that's why nothing shows through! I knew I was doing something wrong...drats...:o

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. More voltage, I say!! :D

Mike Golka
03-13-2013, 4:55 PM
For bloodwood use garlic bulbs.;)

Dennis Ford
03-13-2013, 7:58 PM
I use an LED light on a flex arm for this, it works well for most woods while they are wet. It does not work for dark woods like walnut.

Ryan Baker
03-14-2013, 8:19 PM
A bright light will transluce through just about any wood IF you get thin enough. On dark, hard woods, you need to get pretty thin before you start to see anything though. If you are trying to turn really thin, it is almost essential to use a light. If you aren't trying to turn super thin, it isn't really a very useful approach most of the time.