PDA

View Full Version : Wood box metal lid.

Nathan Clark
03-13-2013, 1:40 PM
I carved a bowl from this mystery wood and at the finishing stage decided to fit a metal disk to it. Made to sit on a desk and hold pocket change. I'm not confident the shape of the bowl compliments the flat lid. I did not want a delicate finial to brake with use. I'm debating cutting off the top half of the handle if I can find a way to mount it back on the lathe. Finished with mineral oil.

Doug W Swanson
03-13-2013, 4:08 PM
Nice combination of the metal and wood. I think a more simple handle would look better...

Nathan Clark
03-13-2013, 7:04 PM
I think a more simple handle would look better... I agree, I already took a pocket knife to the very top part and like it better. I might trim it more if I find a way to get the lid on a lathe.

Pat Scott
03-14-2013, 10:23 AM
The wood looks like Elm to me. I would cut the handle right above the first bead, so it looks like just a simple knob. I think the proportions would then look better as well.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I agree with Pat. I would cut it off after the first bead. I think it would look better. Overall I like it with the metal lid.

Nathan Clark
03-14-2013, 1:25 PM
I am now confident it IS elm. I will also make this a simple knob. That was the original intent, but as I was doing some practice cuts on the end it broke like this, and now I have no way to fit it on my lathe, gluing the lid doesn't help either. I think I'll just chuck up the piece I'm removing in a drill and run a saw over it then sand. Thanks for the help.