PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a v groove in Rulon sheet

Steve Paul
03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I am currently working on my vertical machining center and need to cut a groove in a 1/32" sheet of Rulon used to slide on the machine ways. I have an Epillog Helix machine and am preparing a drawing for cutting the pieces and rastering an oil path on them. Several pieces mate to each other and share oil passages and are usually cut as separate pieces than glued to the bottom of the table. I would like to draw the 2 pieces as 1 than cut a v shaped groove along the matting edge not quite thru the sheet than fold the piece into a 90 degree form for gluing. This would guarantee the alignment of the 2 pieces. I looked at my manual and noticed the print driver is capable of cutting a taper used in making stamps and I am looking for a way to do this on my drawing. I just realised I could do this as a separate drawing before executing the main drawing. Any suggestions? I included the drawing. The horizontal line in the center would be the location of the v groove.
Thanks
Steve

Scott Shepherd
03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Just make a rectangle the size you want the groove to be, apply a gradient from black (deepest) to white (shallowest) and engrave away, using your driver to vary the power based on the gradient. I don't know what it's called on the Epilog, but it will do it.

Steve Paul
03-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Just make a rectangle the size you want the groove to be, apply a gradient from black (deepest) to white (shallowest) and engrave away, using your driver to vary the power based on the gradient. I don't know what it's called on the Epilog, but it will do it.

Thanks Scott - I just drew up a thin rectangle and put the gradient in than mirriored the object around the deep side mid point. I think this will work. Way cool!!
Steve