PDA

View Full Version : "Mar Verde" Re-take

Alan Trout
03-12-2013, 11:56 PM
After some controversy with my last photos over at wow of this piece, I sprung for a little darker background and a set of soft box lighting. I have been wanting some better lights for some time but in reality I would rather have more turning tools than photographic equipment. Overall I think this series of picture is much more representative of the piece than the previous set. better color definition and rendition and overall I fell much better photos. I wish I was better at photos but I am trying.

Like I said before I am always open to constructive critiques. Green is a funny color people love it or hate it.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Kathy Marshall
03-13-2013, 1:52 AM
Beautiful piece Alan! The pics look great with the darker background. I'll admit that green isn't my favorite color, but I think it works with that wood and I think the swirls add alot of movement.

Joe Herrmann
03-13-2013, 8:29 AM
These are much better photos Alan. Nice job all the way around.

Jerry Marcantel
03-13-2013, 9:00 AM
Alan, I guess it's better. I'm colorblind and the green that I see is different than what other people see. What I'm seeing is still a "Wow", great colors. I love the way the transition of the resin and wood is defined by the black lines. It's like a coastline with black waves.....

As far as the picture taking abilities, I see your tent outline. The reason for that is you did a superb job on finish, and it's reflecting your tent in the pictures.....Less light from the sides and maybe more from the top might correct that......Jerry (in Tucson)

Ted Calver
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Alan,
These pictures are much better. Can we see a picture of your new set up?

Alan Trout
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Everyone thanks,

Yep it would be easy if these were all a softer finish. I have taken pictures of friends stuff and it always works out well. These pieces, in my opinion need this hard finish to show of the resin and make the impact when you see them in person. It is just really hard to deal with in photos. I am sure with enough time I will get better at photography. I figured the glare shows off the finish and these photos are not so flat or have better depth of field.

Alan

Alan Trout
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Alan,

Yes, I will take a picture later and post it.

Scott Hackler
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Although I am not a giant fan of green, this is a nice piece and the new photos look a lot better than the first attempt.

Doug W Swanson
03-13-2013, 4:06 PM
Pictures are much better. I'm not big into the green but these pictures sure make the piece look great!

Alan Trout
03-13-2013, 7:57 PM
Alan,

Ted these are the lights I got. The seem to work pretty well and not to expensive. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GLYDWY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan

Ted Calver
03-13-2013, 9:46 PM
Thanks Alan...those don't look too bad for the kind of set ups turners use.

BILL DONAHUE
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey, in four more days everyone will be loving green. Happy St. Pat's!

Edward Cypher
03-13-2013, 11:22 PM
This is true. WOW those are some impressive lights considering photography is kind of a byproduct of turning. Photography itself is a whole vortex by itself.

I like the swirls and the burl swirls seem to compliment each other.

Hey, in four more days everyone will be loving green. Happy St. Pat's!

Eric Gourieux
03-13-2013, 11:37 PM
WOW, Alan. That's a beautiful piece! I love your work

Jerry Marcantel
03-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Alan, I went to that site you posted on your lights. I'm suprised there weren't any dimmer switches listed. When I took a bunch of photography class back a hundred years ago, when using back, side and top lighting, we used dimmer switches to control the light where needed....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Keith Christopher
03-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Alan,

do you have any how-to's for this type of form ? Casting acrylic and wood like this ? I don't care what people think, I like the green a very nice meld of colors.

Alan Trout
03-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Keith,

There are really no how to's on these bigger pieces. There can be some significant problems that crop up when you pour over 60oz of resin and your really never know how they will turn out. This piece was about 110oz. I changed some things to see if I could improve these larger castings and it worked. Now to repeat and I can see a trend. Resin in these pieces can get expensive. It is kind of like turning expensive Australian burls. By the time you pay shipping and fees on the resin and it is about 1$ a ounce. Not trying to be evasive but would hate for someone to loose a bunch of money or get hurt making these. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on top of my regular turning sickness to make these pieces work.

Thanks,

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Beautiful Alan. Love this piece.

Jamie Donaldson
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Alan, I went to that site you posted on your lights. I'm suprised there weren't any dimmer switches listed. When I took a bunch of photography class back a hundred years ago, when using back, side and top lighting, we used dimmer switches to control the light where needed....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry, most current CFL bulbs cannot be used with dimmers, and rheostats also change the color temperature output of many filament bulbs. CFL light enclosures sometimes adjust output by using multiple circuits that illuminate a selected number of bulbs since CFL's have much lower lumen output that filament bulbs.