PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Backorders?

Matt Meiser
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
So I ordered a set of PMV11 chisels last week. At the time of my order the estimated ship date was April 2. I was looking today and the product page and now they say they are backordered until May 7. My order status still shows April 2. I'm wondering what other's experience with LV backorders has been? Do they generally meet the date as of order? Or do they delay and then delay more?

I thought I finally made up my mind. I'm OK waiting until April--probably not OK waiting until May. I have an email into them too, but some historical reference would be helpful in making a decision on how to proceed.

Gary Hodgin
03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Matt,
I don't have a lot of experience with back orders from LV, but I remember two. In both cases my order was filled before the estimated time. I ordered a router plane and fence sometime right after last Christmas as I recall, I received notice that it was back order until some time around the first of Feb. I received the router and fence around mid-Jan. I don't remember the details of the prior back order but I do remember receiving it before the estimated date. Not sure if what will happen with your chisels but this is my experience.

Chris Griggs
03-13-2013, 6:06 AM
Something like PMV11 probably is a different can of worms than something like a back-ordered Veritas plane. To my knowledge, PMV11 is only produced by one supplier so if that supplier delays the order LV is SOL. With other things their ability to stick with estimates is a matter of them sticking with their production timeline, but with this they are dependent on someone else.

From what I've seen their availability estimates are usually pretty dead on, but in this case, my guess is, its harder for them to keep strict deadlines.

I know its hard (REALLY REALLY hard), but wait it out, a few extra weeks for something you'll have a lifetime will be worth your while.

Matt Meiser
03-13-2013, 8:14 AM
LV wrote back this morning that my date is still valid and the new date is for new orders.

The new date is caused by a chisel that was in-stock last week now being out of stock. I was starting to envision a scenario where the odds of all 5 being in stock at the same time was going to be near impossible but they must be reserving the individuals for set orders as they come in.

Chris Griggs
03-13-2013, 8:23 AM
Excellent!

LV wrote back this morning that my date is still valid and the new date is for new orders.

The new date is caused by a chisel that was in-stock last week now being out of stock. I was starting to envision a scenario where the odds of all 5 being in stock at the same time was going to be near impossible but they must be reserving the individuals for set orders as they come in.

Jeff Bartley
03-13-2013, 8:28 AM
Matt,
It's been my experience that they're back orders are accurate if not early. And if they're only waiting for one chisel they might just ship out whatever they have in stock, it's worth asking!
Let us know how you like the chisels! Jeff

Jim Matthews
03-13-2013, 8:38 AM
SOMEbody needs his fix, bad.

Gottahavitis. At least the treatment is legal.

Matt Meiser
03-13-2013, 9:25 AM
No, someone doesn't want to wait for months for repeated back orders when there are other options. ;) Sounds like that shouldn't be a problem though.

Jeff, I was wondering if they'd do that but they shipped the rest of the items from my order and no chisels--the status email for the first shipment shows each chisel as a separate item but says they will all ship together. I suppose it would create a problem if they shipped 4/5 and the customer decides to cancel the remaining part of the order since there's a relatively significant (about 1/2 off 1 chisel) discount for buying all 5.

Augusto Orosco
03-13-2013, 9:39 AM
So I ordered a set of PMV11 chisels last week. At the time of my order the estimated ship date was April 2. I was looking today and the product page and now they say they are backordered until May 7. My order status still shows April 2. I'm wondering what other's experience with LV backorders has been? Do they generally meet the date as of order? Or do they delay and then delay more?

I thought I finally made up my mind. I'm OK waiting until April--probably not OK waiting until May. I have an email into them too, but some historical reference would be helpful in making a decision on how to proceed.

I order a PM-11 3/4 chisel weeks ago, with an expected shipping date of Mar 12. I checked the website yesterday and the 3/4"s for sale now have an expected delivery of Mar 19; but mine was indeed shipped yesterday, as promised. The Mar 19 date is for the ones sold after Mar 12, I'd imagine. I have notice more items out of stock recently, particularly the PM-11 line. Seems that they are a big hit. Glad LV is getting good business, they have always been a good company to deal with, and very innovative.

Gabe Shackle
03-13-2013, 9:41 AM
I've had a couple items backordered (both PMV11) and they immediately called me when there was a further delay on one of the items to confirm that I still wanted to wait for it or if I wanted to cancel the order. Both items did ship on the dates they specified.

David Weaver
03-13-2013, 10:11 AM
No, someone doesn't want to wait for months for repeated back orders when there are other options. ;)

Sounds like someone has bought from grizzly before :) LV is usually better about BO estimates than grizzly.

Mike Holbrook
03-13-2013, 1:15 PM
Right, Lee Valley is one of the few companies I am comfortable making backorders with. I have ordered quite a few items that were backordered. They always seem to live up to the date I was given when I backordered. I suspect Wenzloff hand saws are one of the few items that may not be totally predictable. Mike Wenzloff has been very sick and if he isn't at work....Although I have not ordered a Wenzloff saw from LV I suspect they use conservative delivery dates and usually meet them even with these special circumstances. Excluding special custom made items that can only be obtained from a vendor that has to rely on a single person, I think LV will be very true to whatever expectations they make. I don't know of any other company who gives exact delivery dates for items they do not have and then lives up to them as well as LV.

Rob Lee
03-13-2013, 8:14 PM

Hi Matt!

Just looked up your order on our system, and you're #62 in line for the 1", and #123 in line for the 3/4". Looks to me like we should meet the date promised, as chisels are flowing daily now. 3/4" and 1" are the last two sizes left to fill open orders...

I've personally helped develop and review the Material Requirements Plan to ensure we don't run out of steel again for the next year or so.... we have stacked several mill runs, and even ordered steel for new product expected in the next year to year and a half (no, I can't tell everyone what those are!..... :) ).

Our system automatically layers purchase orders and reserves inventory on a FIFO basis, so when you placed your order, your chisel were reserved against a specific production run.... people ordering now are reserving against future runs, which is why current dates are different from your date.

Our machine shop staff had no control over the delayed steel deliveries, but are really working hard to recover the lost time. No one here wants to be out of anything....!

Cheers (and thanks for the order!)

Rob

Matt Meiser
03-13-2013, 9:09 PM
Rob, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to getting them. Like I said, my main concern was that as different sizes keep going out of stock and whether that would mean additional delays. Glad you have a good process for that in place.

I've been trying to find a time for a family trip to Toronto with one destination being Lee Valley. Wish I could have done it sooner since I see the stores have some.

Mike Henderson
03-14-2013, 1:27 AM
Rob Lee - How about a 1/8" PM-V11 chisel?

Mike

Chris Griggs
03-14-2013, 5:52 AM

Mike

Big plus one!

Rob Lee
03-14-2013, 8:02 AM

Mike

Hi Mike,

Working on it...!

Cheers -

Rob

Augusto Orosco
03-14-2013, 9:29 AM
Hi Mike,

Working on it...!

Cheers -

Rob

My chisel arrives tomorrow, according to UPS... and today Mr Lee starts another free shipping event. That is just evil! I think that shoulder plane is calling my name ...

Matt Radtke
03-14-2013, 1:18 PM
Now that I've order some stuff with the free shipping deal, I expect the 1/8" chisel to come out the day after free shipping is over.

Jim Neeley
03-14-2013, 4:46 PM

Mike

+1 vote for the 1/8" chisel, Rob!!

Jim in Alaska

Matt Meiser
03-28-2013, 3:46 PM
Woohoo!

Veritas® PM-V11™ Bench Chisels, set of 5 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41504&p=69847)
Item 05S2150
In stock and reserved

Jim Koepke
03-29-2013, 1:07 AM
I bit the bullet on a set of the dowel formers and a few other things. The formers are back ordered.

Free shipping can really make a person jump off the fence.

jtk

Mike Tekin
03-29-2013, 9:29 AM
Matt,

Good for you!

Let us know how you like them.

Woohoo!

Matt Meiser
03-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Hmm...guess in stock and reserved doesn't mean ready to ship.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Hmm...guess in stock and reserved doesn't mean ready to ship.

It could be that more reserved before you than were able to be shipped on the current incoming delivery.

There may also be more sorting and QA to be done before shipment.

jtk

Matt Meiser
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
It may have been a matter of getting them to their New York warehouse for final shipment to. Whatever it was I got a UPS tracking number this morning! Then again I just realized the date so... :( :D

Rob Lee
04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
It may have been a matter of getting them to their New York warehouse for final shipment to. Whatever it was I got a UPS tracking number this morning! Then again I just realized the date so... :( :D

Hi Matt!

We were closed Friday (your order completed reservation Thursday). We did work Saturday - so your order would have been packed then. Sunday - a day of rest...

Today - good to go!

Cheers -

Rob

Matt Meiser
04-01-2013, 1:19 PM
Thanks Rob. I know you guys like to pull pranks today--was hoping it wasn't a personal one :D

Looking forward to getting them. If I'm lucky it will go back to cold/wet and I'll be able to do some woodworking over the next couple weeks instead of spring cleanup.

Matt Meiser
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Chisels showed up today! Unfortunately other than getting one out to look I didn't have time to do anything with them today.