PDA

View Full Version : Any experiences with "medical alert" systems?

Phil Thien
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
My mom is going to be returning home after a knee replacement and then some time in a rehab facility. She is an independent, active, 87-YO, living alone.

I was thinking something like one of those Life Alert systems would be a good idea for when she is home. "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up."

Anyone have any experience with these systems?

Do the alarm companies like ADT offer similar systems as add-ons to their alarm systems?

Any Internet-based systems? She has high-speed Internet.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
My 90 year old MIL has had Life Alert for nearly 8 years. It works as advertised.

Lee Schierer
03-12-2013, 10:30 PM
ADT has an add on system for their alarms. My mother has had one for 10-12 years, but has never needed it.

David G Baker
03-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Your Mother probably should not be left alone after a knee replacement until she is fully mobile. From my experience it took around ten days before my SWMBOB was able to get around reasonably well after her knee replacement.

Steven Green
03-13-2013, 12:44 AM
I recently had my left knee replaced Phil the first few weeks at home are difficult. I'd say for sure some kind of "Life Alert" service, home health and drop ins as often as twice a day or more till she is stable on that knee.
Hope she does well and is back up and around soon.

Jim Matthews
03-13-2013, 6:58 AM
I'm in the get someone to check on her camp; at least she'll have someone to talk to about the post op pain.

Recovery from osteo procedures is grueling.
So far as the alarm systems are concerned, I buy auto insurance and hope to never use it...
what's the cost for a little peace of mind?

Phil Thien
03-13-2013, 8:53 AM
She went to a rehab facility after the surgery, she gets 2-3 hours of therapy a day. So she is getting around pretty good already.

And there will be home health care visits, and family visits, and stuff.

I'm just kind of worried about what happens if she can't sleep at night and falls or something on her way to play bridge on the computer or something.

The knee surgery kinda brought the issue to the foreground, but I had been thinking she should have one of these for some time.

This one looks pretty good to me:
http://www.lifelinesys.com/content/home

It has a bracelet she can wear even when she is asleep. So I don't have to worry about her taking a necklace off and forgetting to put it back on. But no two-way communication with a person.

This one looks pretty interesting as it has no monthly fee:
http://www.amazon.com/LogicMark-35911-Freedomalert/dp/B002IMW8O4/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1363179420&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=medical+alert+system

I also like that it uses 2-way communication, it just dials family members phone #'s and if it can't reach anyone, it will dial 911.

BUT, my mom wears hearing aids and I'm not sure she'd be able to hear us through the little walkie talkie thing, I'm not sure she'd wear it, I just don't think it would be ideal for her.

Ultimately I'd sort of like something that doesn't have to trigger a 911 call. Something where she could press it and say "I'm out of cottage cheese, someone bring me some cottage cheese," LOL. And something she could wear on her wrist instead of around her neck.

mike holden
03-13-2013, 9:11 AM
Life Alert works!
However, you do need a land line connection. It is wireless to the landline and then out.
At least in our area, SE Michigan, the company will not install to VOIP.

MIL is 83, lives alone, and is subject to TIA attacks. Voice Alert has gotten her to the hospital several times in the last 3 years.

Well worth it.

Mike

Stew Hagerty
03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
A couple years ago the family all pitched in and paid our share of the annual fee got LIFESTATION for my 93 yr old grandfather. We all (including grandpa) agree that it works very well and the people seem great. Now, fortunately, he hasn't had to use it for real, but every month he "tests" the system by pressing the button. After a brief pause just in case you pressed the button by accident while the base unit is yelling "emergency - emergency", it connects and a live person comes on to see what's wrong. We tested it and they can hear from almost anywhere in his house, and even outside on the porches if only the screen doors are closed, even though the microphone is on the base unit. Before I picked LIFESTATION, I checked and compared the various providers and based the decision solely on the level of service for the price. I highly recommend them!

Rick Potter
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I suggest you ask Mom first, Phil, to make sure she is on board with it. We went through the same problem with my Dad. He didn't like being 'forced' to have one, and simply refused to wear it. The company called regularly, asking him to at least test it, and he wouldn't even do that.

If he knew we were coming, he would have it out on display, but never wear it. Otherwise, it was in a drawer.

No mental impairment, just stubborn.

Rick Potter

Harry Hagan
03-13-2013, 1:38 PM
One of the networks was touting a news story recently on these services suggesting that they aren’t all they claim to be. I didn’t catch the coverage, but do your homework before trusting your mom’s wellbeing to their care.

Phil Thien
03-13-2013, 2:21 PM
I suggest you ask Mom first, Phil, to make sure she is on board with it.

Wife already took care of that, she is onboard with it. Now the question is, which one.

Phil Thien
03-13-2013, 2:42 PM
A couple years ago the family all pitched in and paid our share of the annual fee got LIFESTATION for my 93 yr old grandfather. We all (including grandpa) agree that it works very well and the people seem great. Now, fortunately, he hasn't had to use it for real, but every month he "tests" the system by pressing the button. After a brief pause just in case you pressed the button by accident while the base unit is yelling "emergency - emergency", it connects and a live person comes on to see what's wrong. We tested it and they can hear from almost anywhere in his house, and even outside on the porches if only the screen doors are closed, even though the microphone is on the base unit. Before I picked LIFESTATION, I checked and compared the various providers and based the decision solely on the level of service for the price. I highly recommend them!

The LIFESTATION interests me because of the lockbox which can be placed outside the home, with a key in it. That way if she does need 911 service, the LIFESTATION operator can communicate the combination to the lockbox so they can get the key, and not have to break a window or something.

They charge extra ($3/month) for that, but it would seem worthwhile to me maybe.

Dave Lehnert
03-13-2013, 4:11 PM
Anyone know the system advertised on TV that can be used anywhere ,not just in the home ? Must be cell phone based or something.

Ed Aumiller
03-13-2013, 9:59 PM
Have installed several systems using the "x10.com" unit.. it is a little necklace unit that when you hit the button it will call four numbers in sequence until someone acknowledges it... do not have it dial 911 as it is illegal... no monthly fees...

The problem is as Rick says... be sure they will accept and use it... put one system into my wife's grandmother's house.... 6 months later she got tangled up in a bush outside and was there for 5 hours before a neighbor found her... when asked why she did not use it... said it was beside her bed, she did not think she needed it.. stubborn but feisty 92 yo lady.. it ain't worth a nickle if they won't use it....

Put one in for a neighbor and she used it and was a life saver...

Be sure whatever you put in will work in whatever range the person uses... i.e. in house, yard, etc...

Good Luck....

Stew Hagerty
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
The LIFESTATION interests me because of the lockbox which can be placed outside the home, with a key in it. That way if she does need 911 service, the LIFESTATION operator can communicate the combination to the lockbox so they can get the key, and not have to break a window or something.

They charge extra ($3/month) for that, but it would seem worthwhile to me maybe.

Yeah Phil, we purchased that option for grandpa. Like you, I thought it was a great option. I'm suprised other companies haven't added it.

William Payer
03-16-2013, 12:40 PM
My MIL recently fell and broke her hip. She fell in her back yard around dusk, but managed to crawl or drag herself to the front drive where a neighbors teenagers just happened to see her. After replacement she wanted to return home ( stubborn 85 year old) where she lives alone. We had the concerns you have stated, along with the knowledge that her fall situation could have been disastrous had no one seen her.
We did a little research and settled on the system by American Senior Safety agency. She has had it now for about 6 months with no problems. Her wrist worn activator was accidentally pushed about a month ago , and the company was on the phone immediately. They also WANT her to test the system at least monthly, and are very courteous as she goes from room to room checking to see if her voice can be heard. THey also have the lock box feature, which would save a broken down front door. ( that happened to my father in his later years, no lock box, firemen/ems broke door down getting in).
In short, those monitored systems are worth every penny both in actual safety and peace of mind to those who cannot be there at all times to watch the elderly. You wont regret making that move.

Phil Thien
03-16-2013, 1:25 PM
Thanks William. I did go with the Lifestation, and just got back from installing/testing the unit. I would have had this done yesterday, but forgot she would need a DSL filter.

The system does seem to work well. I feel better with her having it, and she feels better, too.