PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Issue

Braden Todd
03-12-2013, 5:05 PM
I have been having some quality issues with my Epilog Helix 60 watt machine. I seem to be getting less quality from it compared to my 75 watt EXT, which shouldn't be the case since the dot size is smaller on the Helix.

I have checked all lenses and mirrors and still haven't found the issue, I have also checked to ensure RGB is my only color palette. Tech support has told me it's a Corel issue not the machine, but I find it hard to believe when I run the same images on my EXT and they come out better. I have been noticing small pieces of laser mask that aren't lasered away and even strips of material left behind (both can be seen in the pics attached) this causes huge problems when sandblasting because it creates a very uneven engraving. The first two pics show what I am having issues with and the third is the same pattern (made by copying and pasting same image) engraved on the same run with a very different outcome. This happens so much I am actually afraid to run certain items on the machine.

If anyone has seen this before and can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Richard Rumancik
03-12-2013, 5:51 PM
What is the spot size on the Helix and why is it smaller? At what dpi are you lasering this?

A smaller dot size isn't necessarily going to make things "better" when you are rastering out a solid area. For example, if you had a .003" spot size and were running at 250 dpi the spacing between passes is .004". So a .003 spot has the potential to leave some ridges between passes. Even at 300 dpi (.0033 pitch) it might be possible to see some debris left. I am making the assumption that you have a filled vector shape (not a bitmap) and that you can select the dpi.

(If it is already a bitmap then you need to plot at the dpi of the bitmap for best results. But if the line pitch is greater than spot size, that will give you a problem, and you will also have a problem if you plot with a dpi that is different than the bitmap resolution.)

Since you seem to like the results you get with the lasrger spot size on the EXT why not defocus a small amount to increase your spot size and see if that cleans it up? What FL lens are you using? I suppose that you can't swap lenses between the two machines . . .

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2013, 6:20 PM
Tech support has told me it's a Corel issue not the machine, but I find it hard to believe when I run the same images on my EXT and they come out better.

Call back and ask for someone with a clue. No way that's Corel related.

Kim Vellore
03-12-2013, 6:40 PM
Have you tries slower speed or increased power, the 75W also shows small signs of missed engraving but might be in the border line of fully ablating so if you slow down on your 60W and it improves you know why, To start with just go 30% slower and see how it turns out.

Kim

Braden Todd
03-12-2013, 7:31 PM
What is the spot size on the Helix and why is it smaller? At what dpi are you lasering this?

A smaller dot size isn't necessarily going to make things "better" when you are rastering out a solid area. For example, if you had a .003" spot size and were running at 250 dpi the spacing between passes is .004". So a .003 spot has the potential to leave some ridges between passes. Even at 300 dpi (.0033 pitch) it might be possible to see some debris left. I am making the assumption that you have a filled vector shape (not a bitmap) and that you can select the dpi.

This was done at 600dpi with a vector image using an RGB fill.

I mentioned the spot size because I have been having an issue with the crispness of my engraving, Helix looks almost blurry/fatter than the EXT(tried checking focus too). That was on anodized aluminum and you could pick out which pieces came from the Helix vs. EXT.

Braden Todd
03-12-2013, 7:35 PM
Have you tries slower speed or increased power, the 75W also shows small signs of missed engraving but might be in the border line of fully ablating so if you slow down on your 60W and it improves you know why, To start with just go 30% slower and see how it turns out.

Kim

There are about 3 pieces in the border that are supposed to be there, good eye!

These images/engravings all came off the Helix and were done in the same run using the same pattern, this also adds to my frustration because it works for some and then messes up others randomly. I have tried playing with speed and power but I still end up with some that are messed up and missing pieces/sections of the engraving.

Thanks!

Martin Boekers
03-12-2013, 7:36 PM
I see you checked lenses and mirrors, how is alignment?

Braden Todd
03-12-2013, 8:13 PM
Alignment and table level/focus are all good too.

Really has me confused! It's like at times it just decides to not fire.

Walt Langhans
03-13-2013, 8:32 AM
Scott is 100% correct no way it's a corel issue.

I'm not sure how it is on the Epilog but on my machine the nozzle that holds the lens came loose and move about 1/4 of a turn, and even though the machine was in focus from the way I check it, because the nozzle had moved it was out just a bit and my cuts were going about 99% of the way though in spots. Tightened the nozzle and problem fixed.

What concerns me more is the random nature you spoke of. Random issues more often then not are the first sign of dying electronics. As the pathways begin to breakdown from heat some times the signal get's through some times it doesn't. If it's possible and you have the time you might want to swap tubes between the machines and see what happens. That would narrow it down for sure.

Mike Null
03-13-2013, 9:15 AM
I am inclined to think this is a maintenance issue. Belts, bearings, rollers, dirt.

I would also experiment with a slower speed, lower power and 400 dpi. There is no reason that 600 dpi should be required for this job. The slower speed and lower power are experiments to overcome machine wear if there is any.

Talley Boatwright
03-13-2013, 9:58 AM
[QUOTE=Braden Todd;2079354]I have been having some quality issues with my Epilog Helix 60 watt machine. I seem to be getting less quality from it compared to my 75 watt EXT, which shouldn't be the case since the dot size is smaller on the Helix.

I have checked all lenses and mirrors and still haven't found the issue, I have also checked to ensure RGB is my only color palette. Tech support has told me it's a Corel issue not the machine, but I find it hard to believe when I run the same images on my EXT and they come out better. I have been noticing small pieces of laser mask that aren't lasered away and even strips of material left behind (both can be seen in the pics attached) this causes huge problems when sandblasting because it creates a very uneven engraving. The first two pics show what I am having issues with and the third is the same pattern (made by copying and pasting same image) engraved on the same run with a very different outcome. This happens so much I am actually afraid to run certain items on the machine.

If anyone has seen this before and can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it!

256780256781256783[
Make sure that your mirrors are not moving. Loose mirrors will cause uneven etching. If this is not the case, the next thing would be the encoder reader. This would definitely cause an issue with raster but doesn't affect vector. When mine gave out, it start show signs of spots in my engraving. Then it started missing places to engrave. Higher resolution will not solve the issue because the signal will be interrupted spontaneously. It cost about $108 to replace and I suggest buying the encoder strip also.

Martin Boekers
03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Do you auto adjust focus? If so see how close the auto adjust is with the manual focus piece in place.

If you still have issues I find Brian and Ian are the best to talk with at Epilog, see if you can request one of them.