PDA

View Full Version : DigiScale Installation Pictorial

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Not long ago I posted a "Pre-gloat" thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19247) for the DigiScale I bought for my Mini Max FS350 J/P to put a digital readout on the planer bed. After completing the air system installation as detailed in another thread, I got to work getting this new device installed:

http://www.digi-kit.com/images/Digi-Scale20.jpg

I ordered the unit during the Mid-Atlantic pro show in Ft Washington and received delivery in about a week. It was well-packed in 4" S&D pipe as shown in the pictures in the previous thread. Because I needed the track stationary, it was necessary to go with the Model 20 over the slightly less expensive Model 10. The electronics are the same; just the track is different. That also meant cutting down the 48" track section to something about a foot long for this particular application...no biggie and an easy job. The rest of the installation was straight-forward with just a little metal fabrication using aluminum stock as shown in the pictures below.

I still need to mount the readout as soon as I decide exactly where I want to put it and do some fine calibration. I'll post additional pictures at that point. But I can tell you already, I'm going to enjoy having this addition on my planer, purely for convenience!

Pics:

Cutting the track, being careful not to dislodge the wire that runs on each side of the channel
Cleaning up the cuts with a file and removing any sharp edges
Track mounted on the machine
Fabricating aluminum stock to connect the bed pointer to the digital readout traveler
Ready for final connection

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Here's everything ready to rock and roll, other than final mounting of the readout:

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 2:55 PM
Ok, after mowing the lawn and having a quick bite, I got the readout mounted in a position that makes it easy to read while cranking the table up and down. I do think I need to get some aluminum channel when I am next at the 'borg to help contain the cord between the sliding sensor and the readout...I don't want to catch it on anything. BTW, I can still clearly see the OEM depth scale with no problem.

One nice thing about this unit is that a simple jumper change reverses the scale. When I first mounted the device, it was reading in negative numbers. While I had it apart to mount the base on an angled bracket fastened to the J/P, I changed J1 to make it read in positive numbers. No big deal...just nice. I also locked the keypad adjustments to avoid inadvertent changes. That just makes for a few extra keystrokes if I do need to change it, but that's a good thing, IMHO. Right now I have it set to read in 1/32" increments which I think is fine for the purpose, but do have the option to go to 1/64" if I choose to.

And now...it's time to use the dang tool! ;)

Tim Morton
05-08-2005, 3:14 PM
Thats really cool Jim. Am i correct in assuming it does not have any affect on the movement of the planer? It is designed to read the depth as you move the planer manually? How cool would it be to have a device that would reference the stock and be programable to remove a 1/32nd automatically?:D I'll have to grab some time to read more about this thing.

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 4:11 PM
Thats really cool Jim. Am i correct in assuming it does not have any affect on the movement of the planer? It is designed to read the depth as you move the planer manually? How cool would it be to have a device that would reference the stock and be programable to remove a 1/32nd automatically? .

It does not constrict the movement of the planer bed...the unit slides smoothly. And you can get automatic, motorized adjustment if you have really BIG bucks...but not from Mini Max. Think much, much higher end...

Bruce Page
05-08-2005, 4:33 PM
Great looking install Jim! It looks like it came from MM!

Norman Hitt
05-08-2005, 5:49 PM
Ok, after mowing the lawn and having a quick bite, I got the readout mounted in a position that makes it easy to read while cranking the table up and down. I do think I need to get some aluminum channel when I am next at the 'borg to help contain the cord between the sliding sensor and the readout...I don't want to catch it on anything. BTW, I can still clearly see the OEM depth scale with no problem.

And now...it's time to use the dang tool! ;)

Jim, that sure makes a nice setup, Maybe some day..................... :( , oh well, I do have a question though. I don't know how heavy the Indicator box is, but if it is light enough, would the machines indicator bar, (that you mounted the reader/sender unit to), be strong enough so that one could make the mounting adapter plate large enough to mount the indicator box on it also, just immediately below the bottom of the reader/sender unit? If so, the wiring could either be shortened, or folded and tied up behind or below the indicator box, and then there would not be a constant flexing of the wire, since the indicator would travel up and down with the sender unit and should also eliminate the possibility of having the wire catch on anything.

I'm just asking this, in case the "Prize Patrol" should ever "mistakenly" stop at my house. :) :)

Great pictures, (as usual).

John Miliunas
05-08-2005, 7:11 PM
Now that's one slick setup, Jim!!! Nice job. I'd consider getting something like that setup for the Dewalt to help these poor old eyes, but I'm still waiting for my ship to come in!:) That happens, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting something a bit heavier duty.:D Give another update on its accuracy after you've had some time to use it.:) :cool:

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 9:28 PM
Now that's one slick setup, Jim!!! Nice job. I'd consider getting something like that setup for the Dewalt to help these poor old eyes, but

There is a low-cost setup available right now from Woodcraft for the Dewalt DW735 as detailed in another thread.

I don't know how heavy the Indicator box is, but if it is light enough, would the machines indicator bar, (that you mounted the reader/sender unit to), be strong enough so that one could make the mounting adapter plate large enough to mount the indicator box on it also, just immediately below the bottom of the reader/sender unit?

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's conceivable that one could provide a mounting such that the readout followed the reader up and down, but I'd find that disconcerting. It would also not be quite as sturdy as the hard mounting to the machine that I did. What I was trying for was a location that made for easy reading of the display without putting the device in danger of getting smacked with a board. I think that a piece of 1" aluminum U channel will help protect the wire without restricting it...but until I try it, I will not know for sure.

John Miliunas
05-08-2005, 9:40 PM
There is a low-cost setup available right now from Woodcraft for the Dewalt DW735 as detailed in another thread.

What, you into mind reading now or what???:D I say that because, as I left posting on this thread earlier, I found the one you're now speaking of! Strangely though, a quick search at the Woodcraft site netted me zilch. I'll check at the brick 'n mortor sometime this week. For that kind of $$$, it may be worth it, as I don't know how LONG it would be before I got to upgrade anyway!:) :cool:

Ian Barley
05-08-2005, 9:44 PM
Nice looking install Jim. I suspect that this will make life much easier. My thicknesser has a mechanical readout and I often wish I had upgraded to the electronic version.

lou sansone
05-09-2005, 9:02 AM
looks good jim

I need to pony up some money and put one on my timesavers widebelt .. thanks for the info
lou

Mark Singer
05-09-2005, 9:06 AM
Jim,

Great Job...That thing looks very hlpful and you made the installation look pretty easy.!

Ted Shrader
05-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Jim -

Must admit, when scrolling through and seeing that the first picture involved a hacksaw . . . . . . Reminded me of the old adage(?) about "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it off with an axe." :) ;) :)

Looks like a great install and will be very useful. Only time will tell, but wonder how frequent the need will be for periodic recalibration.

Thanks for the tutorial,
Ted

Chris Padilla
05-09-2005, 1:33 PM
I'm just waiting for the errant piece of wood to knock your read out onto the floor, Jim! :)

Looks good...be sure to update us on how well it is serving you.

Tyler Howell
05-09-2005, 3:07 PM
Nice Set up Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-09-2005, 3:30 PM
Hey Jim, Nice addition; I'm sure that will make a great difference in use of the machine and is a neat gizzmo to boot. Have fun! Alan

Michael Mahan
12-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Not meaning dredge up an old thread ,
But Jim how has this DigiScale worked out for you ? :)

Jim Becker
12-24-2013, 9:37 AM
Works fine...when it has a live battery in it. Unfortunately, I don't get much shop time these days so I do find said battery sometimes is, um...dead...when it's time to work on something. :)

Michael Mahan
12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
ThanX Jim

To You & Yours Have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year ,