PDA

View Full Version : Metal sign blanks

Martin Boekers
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I am looking for metal sign blanks. I really need standard sizes say 8x10, 9x12, 11x14

Most places I have found sell full sheets or limited sizes.

Any help is appreciated....

AL Ursich
03-12-2013, 1:40 PM
I use Grimco dot com. I make Street Signs but have few sales as a large sign shop makes a weekly trip through the area and the finished product prices are about what my blanks cost for a small user... For Street Signs the blanks must be treated for corrosion and my PA PENN DOT Sign Certification requires I buy blanks from a Certified Vendor. Keeps small shops like me from dumping the chemicals into the ground water. A good thing really...

A local Metal Shop told me when I asked about cutting Sign Blanks that they get calls asking about this and never hear from them again.... When I found out about the Chemical Treatment I called him back and He said that makes sence.... The Edges need to be treated too.

Grimco will cut blanks too....

Good Luck,

AL

Paul Phillips
03-12-2013, 3:01 PM
Martin, have you tried your local sign supply store? I know ours carries 18"x24" and 24"x36" blanks, we cut them down on our shear, but if you don't have one they will usually cut to order.
Paul

Martin Boekers
03-12-2013, 4:57 PM
Grimco & R&J sign are about 30 miles, wasn't sure if they would cut it and how much they
would charge. Hoping to find blanks at smaller sizes.

That's the first I heard of issues with metal signs and contaminants. I'll have to do some
research on this. I don't do many signs, but time to time I am called upon to do some, go
figure they usually need them while they wait. So goes life on an AFB Base. :)

Keith Outten
03-12-2013, 8:17 PM
What Gauge?
What type of metal?

There are lots of people here who do sheet metal work that have project drops that might be available if they knew specifically what you need.

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2013, 9:36 PM
I also used Grimco for standard street sign blanks, but a local heating/Sheet Metal shop cuts to order from full sheets.
If you don't require radius corners, look for one near you and ask. You cab also cut them yourself on a table saw if you don't mind changing blades, the full sheet price is a lot better.

Mike Null
03-13-2013, 8:58 AM
Marty

Grimco is only about 15 minutes from me. Stop in if you're going over there. Better yet call me and we'll meet at the Cracker Barrel close to them.

Martin Boekers
03-13-2013, 2:09 PM
You got it Mike sounds like a plan. Maybe Fri Mar 22?

I do limited amount of signage on base as Civil Engineering takes care of most of outdoor work,
that being said, more has been coming in. I was hoping to find just some standard sizes that
had a base white paint or a powder coat on them, I can alway "color" them with vinyl for needed
colors. We are finishing up new bays and a "detail" areas for our car wash, so I foresee a need for
about 10-15, 9x12-11x14. When I get calls for something like this, they usually need it fast, so I want to
have a few different sizes, a couple each on hand for when those times occur.

One other question, (I'm probably going to call Jefferson Tent and Awning, local, for this) We have a light brown fabric
awning over the coin changers. The awning didn't come with text and they need me to do it. Just something basic
such as "Change Machine" Can anyone recommend what material to use, vinyl or cloth, cuttable by vinyl cutter
or laser. I am thinking to check with Twill USA also.

Any help appreciated!

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2013, 8:51 PM
For less vandalism issues outdoors with colored background, use white metal and cut the lettering with colored vinyl. Weed out the letters and apply. I cut the shape of the sign about 1/8" bigger and trim after so the application doesn't have to be so precise. People don't tend to peel up the corners when standing around as much. Also save money, rather than using twice as much vinyl on every sign.

Martin Boekers
03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Great idea Joe! Thanks! That means I only cut one sheet then too.

Martin Boekers
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
As for the fabric letters... I came across these guys (evidently the only ones with the material, DuraStik nylon with adhesive)

http://letterbank.com/awning/

They will cut letters and graphics or provide you with the material. It seems this may be difficult to cut, any one with experience
on thgis material? I see it has to be applied in 70degree + temp also.

Scott Shepherd
03-14-2013, 1:30 PM
I've never done it, but I've seen it talked about many times on sign forums, that vinyl sticks to that awning material well. I've seen dozens of examples of it done over the years.

Martin Boekers
03-14-2013, 2:19 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll post on some sign forums too...

Scott Shepherd
03-14-2013, 3:02 PM
Just normal sign vinyl will work. Not sure what you prefer, but we use Oracal, in this case, I'd use Oracal 751 and be done with it. Reading you post, I just remembered we went to a new fast food joint about a year ago and while eating lunch, a competitor's truck pulls up, 2 guys get out and they put vinyl lettering on the awning while we ate. I don't think there's anything special to do. As long as it's clean, you should be good.

Martin Boekers
03-14-2013, 4:27 PM
Since the Car Wash is part of our Arts & Crafts Center I can try different things as long as it doesn't damage the canvas.

I did order a Speed Press Frame though to help install the graphics on the metal canopy above the detail station.
It's about 14' tall and I aint that great for instals in the air ;)

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2013, 8:57 PM
I have applied vinyl lettering/graphics to more awnings than I care to remember, including on with 22" letters going 30'. In fact, the customer refused to get a permit and got busted by the City. Luckily they liked it and approved after the fact when she paid for the permit and fine. It does have to be clean and dry, after soap and water use alcohol. Don't try it if the temperature outside is under about 60, 70+ is better. When peeling the transfer tape, go slow when you get to a sharp corner on a letter.