PDA

View Full Version : Flocking inside of boxes and drawers.

Joe Hillmann
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
I have a few little boxes that I make and sell for a few bucks each at craft shows. Right now I leave the insides totally unfinished so glue and some smoke damage are visible on the inside. I have played around with lining the inside with felt that I cut on the laser but it is fiddly and time consuming and on cheap boxes adds too much to the cost.

I was thinking about trying flocking instead of felt but have some questions and hope someone here has some experience and can help me out.

How difficult/time consuming is it to do a small box with a hinged lid? Lets say the box is 2"x2"x4" with a lid that hinges like this http://www.wecut4u.com/images/Box5.gif (I didn't make that box, I found the picture online but it hinges in the same way mine do)

Is it possible to flock the inside of a living hinge?

How well can flocking hold up to being used in the inside of a box? When things are put in and rattle around inside will the flocking stay put or will it start to fall off the box?

Mel Fulks
03-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Felt is too time consuming ,but to me flocking would not be a plus. I would consider: paint ,marbleized paper,or foil installed with 'special crinkle finish'.

Martin Boekers
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Smoke damage should be cleaned before assembling. I find Endust and a Magic Sponge will take care of that easily.

Glue you may have to work with.

Most of the boxes I buy for tile the felt isn't the greatest, all have at least slight issues. Sometimes I wonder if I expect too much.

I'd consider felt on the bottom and maybe the inside lid and foreget the inside sides. This may give it a nice contrast.

Chuck Stone
03-12-2013, 2:36 PM
I've tried flocking (DonJer Suede-Tex) and it's .. ok.
Not great.. not awful.
Shouldn't be hard to do though.. mask off what you don't want
flocked, put on the adhesive, sprinkly on the flocking (or put it
in a plastic bag and do a 'Shake-n-Bake'
I prefer the adhesive sheets of 'flocking' .. it's more like a fake
velvet fabric with an adhesive backing.

I don't think I'd flock a hinge, but it might be worth trying.

It won't take heavy wear, the flocking will come off.

Dee Gallo
03-12-2013, 9:48 PM
I started using the same flocking system (Donjer) on my boxes and switched to craft felt (which is stiffer and cheaper than sewing felt). I just pre-cut it and use Tacky Glue to adhere it to the inside of boxes and trays. Felt is more regular than flocking and less messy. Flocking is only somewhat sturdy in my opinion but it is very nice looking when done correctly. It is easy to apply, sort of, but if you get the VERY sticky glue in the wrong place, you're out of luck... not pretty.

BTW- I also use the pre-glued felt for covering the feet on boxes. It cuts really easily in my laser, whereas it is hard to cut nicely by hand or cutter.

Joe Hillmann
03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Dee, What do you mean by craft felt? Are you talking about the 8 1/2x11" sheet or do you buy it by the yard?

Dee Gallo
03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Dee, What do you mean by craft felt? Are you talking about the 8 1/2x11" sheet or do you buy it by the yard?

Joe, I buy it at fabric stores... there are two types of felt. The heavier softer stuff is for sewing, the stiffer thinner stuff is for crafts. You buy it by the yard and the craft felt is about half the price of the other.