PDA

View Full Version : Sliders: Hammer (Ball Bearings) vs. Felder (X-Roll)

Jeremy Krohn
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

I have decided that a combo machine is the right choice for me and have narrowed the choices to the Hammer C3-31 Comfort or the Felder CF531. I have been speaking with my local rep over the last little while and obviously the CF531 is a step up in terms of price and options. There are several differences between the two however one of the reasons for increased price is because of the Felder X-Roll table system vs. the Hammer ball bearing system.

1. Have any Hammer slider users experienced issues with the ball bearing system (ie heavy usage creating any play or wobble in the slider)?
2. For anyone that bought a Hammer (combo, saw/shaper, jointer/planer) have you ever wished you went with the Felder equivalent? If so, why?

Thanks!

Rod Sheridan
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Jeremy, the only item that might have swayed me to the Felder saw/shaper was the interchangeable spindle on the shaper with the Felder.

It allows you to switch to router bits, however since I don't have any router bits I haven't missed the possibilities.

Note that the older Felder machines were ball bearing table systems, I'm not expecting any problems with my B3............Rod.

P.S. For the planer, power drive or digi drive would be nicer than hand cranking...................LOL

Jeff Monson
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I dont think you would have any issues with the Hammer ball bearing slides, its an older but proven system. When comparing Felder to Hammer, the Felder line is just a little more refined, the tables are ground smoother, the carriage slides just a little nicer, fences are a little heavier, outriggers are a little more stout. Just depends on your needs and budget.

I stepped up from an A3-31 to an AD741 last fall, its not really a fair comparison as the machine is 1/3 the price, unless you can find used (my case). They both do the same job, the Felder is quicker and has more capacity, but it should be. As Rod stated, it's nice not to have to crank the wheel, but far from a necessity.

I have the x-roll system on my slider, its silky smooth with NO wobble, or play in it. I have played with the Hammer slider, IMO its not quite as smooth, but again, there is a price difference.

Either way you decide, you will be thrilled with any of their machines plus the customer service is top notch.

Jeremy Krohn
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Rod. The other nice item with the CF531 is the tilting shaper as the C3-31 doesn't tilt. Do you find yourself using the tilting function on a regular basis? I also don't have a large investment in router bits so not a huge issue for interchanging spindles.

Power drive or digi drive would be nice but I need to draw the line somewhere;)

David Kumm
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
The X roll is as good as any slider system out there now but ball bearing systems have been used for years and are bullit proof. How well a slider works has more to do with the build quality, tolerences, and thickness of the extrusions and machine base than bearing type. The Hammer is well built for the money but I would limit the table size to 78" or so and want the heavier slider for 8'+ sheet goods. Dropping mdf on a table is tough on them and the extra mass of the Felder or MM is a big deal. Dave

Rod Sheridan
03-12-2013, 2:22 PM
Hi, I use the tilting spindle often.

Think of the number of times you want a special bevel, such as when I made some replacement window sill for my Mom, or when I want to use a glue joint cutter as a lock mitre cutter, saves $400 in one application.

One of my friends was making some Shaker style raised panel door, he normally cuts them on the table saw with the blade set to a bevel. These were too big to stand on edge safely so we tilted the spindle, put a rip blade in it and Bob's youre Uncle, another application for a tilting spindle shaper.

I also ordered the tenon hood ( you can add it at any time), makes great tenons........Rod.

ian maybury
03-12-2013, 3:53 PM
I have a UK spec Hammer K3 Perform with an 8ft slider. Despite watching forums for several years i've never seen a complaint regarding the Hammer slider bearings. It does seem that dust can build up on the tracks so they feel a little rough, but that it's easily fixed by wiping them clean...

ian

Charles Brown
03-12-2013, 5:01 PM
If it makes a difference my 2001 vintage Felder CF731 predates the x-roll technology Felder is now utilizing. I have no complaints about the system which I believe is a ball-bearing type of roller carriage.

peter gagliardi
03-12-2013, 7:01 PM
Martin has for years- at least 1960 been using ball bearings in their saws. They still do, no issues. I have had and do own several of them from the 1960 version up to the 2012 version- no problems.
Peter

Jeremy Krohn
03-12-2013, 8:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

howard s hanger
03-13-2013, 8:47 PM
I love my Hammer slider. I only have only the 48" but it slides very well. The build quality is outstanding. I have never seen a Felder in real life so I can't draw a comparison but if it's that much better, it must truly be stellar.