PDA

View Full Version : Wood Jewelry and Pendants PLastic

Jesse Anderson
03-12-2013, 1:16 AM
Do any of the members here have any examples of some wood jewelry... I have tried a few in the past. I think there are some practical applications for this in my gift shop...

Here are a few examples of some laser engraved jewelry i found... If any one has any CRD file's or Pictures it would greatly be appreciated.

Earrings and Pendants.... I have tried cutting some jewelry pieces out. Then soaking them in Red, Blue , Green Cool aid. For other colors other than wood color. It worked decent....

I have also tried cutting it out several different colors of plastic..

Any idea's? I need to get my brain spinning on this subject.

Dan Hintz
03-12-2013, 8:15 AM
Those are nice pieces, Jesse. There have been plenty of posts in the past... a couple I remember off the top of my head are both bracelets, one was made to look like a piece of filmstrip, and the other was very lace-like. It may behoove you to purchase the SMC DVDs and skim through the images. Some good ideas in there...

Frank barry
03-12-2013, 8:52 AM
Hi Jesse
nice work I have a friend that hand carves that style of work

Hi Dan

I didnt know there was a SMS DVD where can I find out more about it

Jesse Anderson
03-12-2013, 9:21 AM
I wish i could take credit for the work. Though i did recreate them in corel and send the job to my laser, these pictures are off of google image search. I did a search on sawmill for Wooden Engraved Jewelry. I found a few snippets.

Dan

Yes i was thinking about purchasing the SMC DvD..... the wealth of information on it would be worth the contribution.... Since i am a very visual person, i get my idea's from outside stimuli ........

Dan Hintz
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Since i am a very visual person, i get my idea's from outside stimuli ........

Same here... I rarely come up with something from scratch, it's usually taking someone else's idea and tweaking it to my tastes...

Michael Hunter
03-12-2013, 2:04 PM
Maple and black ash.
Made as a gift for a musical type and then strung by a serious beady person (not me).

Straight keys are perhaps more striking, but difficult to get to hang evenly and flat. These shaped ones lay much better

Chuck Stone
03-12-2013, 2:50 PM
Michael, that is seriously cool!

Jesse .. rather than the Kool Aid (which could get expensive) you can try
the gel food colorings from SugarCraft. My friend uses them on his turnings,
and the penetration is superb. Most important, it doesn't interfere with the
chatoyance of the wood. (curly, fiddleback etc.) and once dried it takes a
finish well without lifting. FYI, he spent hundred$ on dyes before hitting
on this one. (stains, pigments, analine dyes, other food colorings, inks, thinned
paints etc. etc.)

Frank barry
03-12-2013, 3:09 PM
Hi Michael
that is cool I didnt know there was such a thing as black ash or is it coloured?

Liesl Dexheimer
03-12-2013, 4:27 PM
Some really nice stuff on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTwentyFingers)...though I'm surprised they aren't charging more. I would think this would take some time to make.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/013/0/6826930/il_170x135.416213928_3du9.jpg https://img2.etsystatic.com/014/0/6826930/il_170x135.416219290_cbac.jpg

Martin Boekers
03-12-2013, 4:47 PM
Maple and black ash.
Made as a gift for a musical type and then strung by a serious beady person (not me).

Straight keys are perhaps more striking, but difficult to get to hang evenly and flat. These shaped ones lay much better

Really, really, cool!!!!

vic casware
03-12-2013, 5:29 PM
Hi
Where and how do i pick up these SMC DVD's?

Michael Hunter
03-12-2013, 8:29 PM
I didnt know there was such a thing as black ash or is it coloured?

It is stained black and lacquered (by the supplier)

The maple is also bought pre-lacquered, which saves me lots of time - especially since I am very bad with any kind of paint or glue.

Jesse Anderson
03-13-2013, 7:26 AM
Chuck stone...

Thank you for the idea with the wood coloring. I have looked at other processes, i get shy when it comes to adding new things to my process. But this sounds worth looking into..

Dan...

I would bet that most people go by outside stimuli ...When i am working with my laser's i will have talk radio on, 2 tv's, and hundreds of page's of wood working books plastered all over the wall. Kind of like if a teen had pictures of Just Beiber Or Back Street boys all over the room :eek: I have a secret that i use for tapping into the brains creative juices. It involves extracts of dozens of smells. Licorice, cinn, cherry, lavender, ect ect ect.....It works well for me. Since i can hardly keep focused on one thing. The smells trigger the brain.....
------------------------------------

As soon as i get back home from my business trips at the end of march i will me trying to design jewelry. I have even hired a outside source in India. Very cheap graphics work...

Kristina Jones
03-22-2013, 4:16 PM
Search for "wood laser" on pinterest.com. There are tons of samples and ideas there!

Chuck Stone
03-22-2013, 7:54 PM
I gave up on Pinterest a while ago. It will never let me view a page without
either signing in or signing up.
Kinda like forcing you to buy the car before you can test drive it..