PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the edge of a NE Bowl

Greg McClurg
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty new to turning and I'm completing my first NE bowl. This is pecan with a coat of natural danish oil. I want to add a few coats of WOP then buff. My question is when I put on the WOP do I coat the bark or just up to the bark? Sorry for the poor picture...that's something else I have to learn:o

Greg

Dan Forman
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
A NE bowl is by nature rustic, and a glossy finish would look out of place to me. There is also the possibility of catching a bit of bark on the buffing wheel which would not be a good thing. I think it looks great as is, and would just add a few more coats of the danish oil and call it done.

Dan

Paul Williams
03-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I use WOP for the top coats on my NE bowls. I finish the bark as well as the bowl itself. No buffing and I often use steel wool to get rid of the shine. On the bark I either use a brush or spray the first coat of two. After that I just use the rag up to the edge but do not go on to the rough top of the bark.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2013, 11:39 PM
I do the same thing. Generally one coat of antique oil then topped with WOP. I also finish the bark.

Fred Belknap
03-12-2013, 7:07 AM
Greg I finish the bark on NE because I like the look and I think it makes the bark stronger. The bark really sucks up the finish. Another thing I do is coat the cut sides of the bark with thin CA. A lot of customers worry about the bark breaking off and this seems to make them more confident about the durability of the bark

Greg McClurg
03-13-2013, 7:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Dan, good point about the possibility of catching the bark edge when buffing...I'll probably skip that step.

Greg