PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1023 Owners...Did You Remove The Blade Dust Collector Chute?

Bill Space
03-11-2013, 6:36 PM
Hi,

I am still in the process of getting my new G1023RLWX set up and ready to go. Actually the saw IS ready to go, but I still have to modify my dust collector piping, to accommodate the new saw and the new 8" jointer, among other small details that take time.

The dust collection on this saw will be so much better than the old Craftsman Contractors saw I was using (for 30 years). But I read at least one person was not happy with the blade shroud and claimed that it clogged up and was a pain, so he removed it.

So I was wondering, what is your experience with it? I guess I will let it in place and see how it performs before doing anything, unless the consensus here is to jerk it out now.

What are you guys' experiences? (Could my Pittsburgh vernacular be showing?)

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

Shaddy Dedmore
03-11-2013, 6:49 PM
My 1023 RLX hasn't had any clogging issues. I use the DC for every cut and it hasn't been able to build up anywhere i can see. Maybe their DC was underpowered? Time will tell though, once the nooks and crannies start filling in, it might clog later. but so far so good.

David Helm
03-11-2013, 7:08 PM
When the blade is high, the chute is straight; no problem. When the blade is low, the chute has a tight bend; problem. Hadn't thought of removing the chute. Might be a good idea. The main problem is that the chute is only 1.5 inches diameter, so is too easily clogged.

Jim Tabor
03-11-2013, 8:04 PM
The dust collection on my 1023RL works very well, every time I have removed the blade insert the chute has been perfectly clean. I have it hooked to a 2hp Grizzly collector.

Cary Falk
03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Mine doesn't clog as long as I turn the DC on.

scott spencer
03-12-2013, 5:31 AM
Small dust chips shouldn't clog a chute.....I'd think it'd take more of the long thin shards, which should be less of an issue if you use a ZCI. Am I wrong on this?

Tom Hartranft
03-12-2013, 11:13 AM
+1 on Scott's comments ... have had a Grizzly 1023RL for a year and use dust collector all the time with the TS. Slivers of wood that are > couple of inches long can get hung up in the small dia shroud dust tubing. Then that'll make a beaver dam obstruction that could cause build up of other dust chips. I don't use a ZCI (yet) and have had one instance of a thin strip of wood slip down through my standard TS insert and lodge itself in my shroud tube. Disconnected one end of the tube, stretched and straightened the tube, and sucked the wood strip out with dust collector suction. Last thought ... I enlarged my TS dust outlet but wanted to retain the blade shroud and tube so made my larger outlet per following pics to get 1) increased TS outlet dust hole and 2) retain blade shroud collection.

Keep the blade dust shroud.

Tom

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/1203%20Dust%20Collection/IMG_1414640x480.jpg

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/1203%20Dust%20Collection/IMG_1438480x640.jpg

Mark W Pugh
04-17-2014, 7:37 AM
I know this is an old thread, but Tom's idea seems to be what is needed on my saw. I opened up the doors the other day to have a peek inside. I was AMAZED the build up of dust (piles), especially since I'm a casual user. Anyone else looked under the hood lately?

johnny means
04-17-2014, 7:47 AM
I've never considered dust piled inside the cabinet a problem. The idea is to keep the dust contained and out of the environment. Anything that ends up inside the cabinet is just as well contained as what ends up in the DC.

Ole Anderson
04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I've never considered dust piled inside the cabinet a problem. The idea is to keep the dust contained and out of the environment. Anything that ends up inside the cabinet is just as well contained as what ends up in the DC. I agree, don't worry what is inside the cabinet. I just wish my older G1023 had the dust chute. Wonder if one can be purchased?

Duane Meadows
04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I agree, don't worry what is inside the cabinet. I just wish my older G1023 had the dust chute. Wonder if one can be purchased?

Hmm, that makes 2 of us, Ole!

PS. The dust chute is only about $8 from Griz. Wonder if I can retrofit it? Uh oh, I see another project coming!

Howard Acheson
04-17-2014, 2:00 PM
If you remove the shroud, the sawdust stream will not be directed correctly and collection will suffer.

Mark W Pugh
04-18-2014, 7:40 AM
I agree with your comments. However, I thought the dust chute would provide better dust removal.

Jim Andrew
04-18-2014, 7:58 AM
Has anyone tried to attach one of these shrouds to a unisaw? My '04 uni could use one.

Cary Falk
04-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I am pretty sure it won't work. I tried to make a shroud for my 1970 Uni(right tilt) before selling it and getting a G1023RL. The Uni cabinet is very tight. You have to keep the blade shroud up close to the bottom of the blade if you want the full range of tilt to 45*. There is not enough room to come straight out the back of the shroud(normal flow for the dust). I tried to come off the back right of the blade and it did not work. The Grzzly shroud gains some room by dropping down a little. Below is a picture of the Uni with the shroud I tried to attach(with a 4" hose because a 2.5" didn't suck enough) and the one from the Grizzly(2.5" hose). If you have a left tilt Uni then all bets are off. The trunnions are different in design so I am guessing it still wouldn't work. Maybe you can tell from the pictures. Hope this Helps.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0149-1.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0207.jpg

Bill Space
04-19-2014, 2:08 PM
Hi,

Now that I have had the G1023RLWX for a while I took a look inside and was surprised to find a lot of sawdust buildup inside, at the bottom of the cabinet. One reason was a thin sliver of wood had fallen in and was blocking the exit point to the dust collector. Having a buildup does not really bother me as I feel it just fills the dead space and provides an optimum shape for saw dust extraction, something that would be difficult to incorporate in manufacture.

That being said, I wonder how efficient the shroud at the bottom of the blade is. If it really worked well, then there should be minimum sawdust found inside the cabinet.

At some point I made a ZCI and that should eliminate the thin strips of wood from falling in and blocking the exit point to the dust collector piping for the cabinet. The tubing from the shroud was clear of sawdust buildup, so I suppose it is functioning as designed. There is one triangular hole in the shroud near the blade and I have no idea how it developed. Not sure if it is an issue or if it would be a warranty claim.

I made my ZCI out of 1/2 inch lexan which I was fortunate to get some scraps of from work before I retired. Easy to look in now and see if there is any buildup of saw dust in the area of the blade...have not see any there yet.

So at this point I see no reason to remove the blade shroud. But if I did I think I would cut the exit hole in the side of the cabinet to match the 4" dust collector pipe that I use in my system...