PDA

View Full Version : Lunchbox planer observation/issue

Mike Leung
03-11-2013, 1:48 PM
I planed a bunch of boards in 2-1/2" wide and 10" wide. I noticed that the thicknesses were slightly more on the 10" boards by about a hundredth. I ran them through the planer again without adjusting the height. It did not change. After ripping the board to the 2-1/2" width and running it through I got the correct thickness. So the width of the board changes the cutting height slightly. Is this a known issue with certain planers?

Mel Fulks
03-11-2013, 1:55 PM
Just different densities of wood can make that much difference. Smaller planers probably do spring some,too.

glenn bradley
03-11-2013, 1:59 PM
Does the planer have a carriage lock? I agree with Mel that the grater surface area will provide more resistance and this is probably what your are seeing.

Mike Leung
03-11-2013, 2:07 PM
The planer does have a carriage lock and I use it. Do all planers have the same issue?

Does the planer have a carriage lock? I agree with Mel that the grater surface area will provide more resistance and this is probably what your are seeing.

Glenn Vaughn
03-11-2013, 2:07 PM
There are several things that could cause this:

Running narrow boards throug in the same spot - this can wear the blade on one side more than the other. It is better to run boards through across the width of the planer. If the blades are well used, this could be the problem.

It could be an alignment isue with the blades - I would think this is rare since all the blades would have to be off.

The table could be out of parallel to the head. Once again I think this would be rare.

I would suspect worn blades (or a bad set of blades).

, ifit is off, turn the board end for end and rn it through again then check the thickness.You might try running a board through, check the thickness and

Mel Fulks
03-11-2013, 2:19 PM
I have run boards of same species through heavy duty machines in same spot and seen the small difference you describe .The wood can compress a little .Its not platinum .

Martin Jodoin
03-11-2013, 2:24 PM
It could be an alignment isue with the blades
Glenn, i don't think you can make any adjustment for the blades on a lunch box planer.

Maybe there is a little bit of play in the carriage lock and the greater resistance of the wide boards vs narrow boards make the carriage move up a bit.
Not sure if the op meant a hundredth or a thousandth of an inch.

Mike what brand/model of planer is that ?

Mark Kay
03-11-2013, 3:45 PM
I read if possible, run boards thru not parallel/straight but slightly diagonally (but still flat) to use more of the cutters' width. Of course, this would get tricky the wider the board the less possibility of angling the path.

Mike Leung
03-11-2013, 4:18 PM
I was measuring around .72s and .73s
my planer is a Delta 22-580
the blades are indexed.

Glenn, i don't think you can make any adjustment for the blades on a lunch box planer.

Maybe there is a little bit of play in the carriage lock and the greater resistance of the wide boards vs narrow boards make the carriage move up a bit.
Not sure if the op meant a hundredth or a thousandth of an inch.

Mike what brand/model of planer is that ?

Mike Leung
03-11-2013, 4:19 PM
I do run the boards at a angle whenever possible.

I read if possible, run boards thru not parallel/straight but slightly diagonally (but still flat) to use more of the cutters' width. Of course, this would get tricky the wider the board the less possibility of angling the path.