PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Shooting Plane

Mark Roderick
03-11-2013, 1:12 PM
Looking through the L-N catalog yesterday, I see they're offering a special shooting plane for $500. I love all things Lie-Nielsen and own a number of their planes. In fact I use their low-angle jack for, among things, shooting edges. But $500 for a specialty plane? Is this for woodworkers or collectors? Wow.

David Weaver
03-11-2013, 1:18 PM
It would cost a mint to make that plane. Eventually (they work at their own pace there), there will be a matching board for it.

The vintage version, which has some flaws in terms of longevity, is about a grand. Figure LN's will probably be in that ballpark.

It's definitely a luxury item.

Chris Griggs
03-11-2013, 1:26 PM
I'd call it a luxury item for gentleman woodworkers, though I'm sure collectors will buy it too. It a large plane, with a lot of machining (more machining=more likely to hit a bubble in the casting and have to toss it) and probably made in small quantities, so that likely why its priced so high.

I've used it at a show. Its pretty cool, but I can't say I thought it was markedly better than a No. 9 or an LAJ. Very very different feel though, its like shooting endgrain with a freight train. I actually like the No. 9 better because it gives you more feedback, but the I think the 50 is one of those tools that people who love it will REALLY REALLY love it, and afterwards everything else will seem puny.

I'm happy shooting with my LV LAJ, and while I did like it a lot I didn't fall into the LOVE IT category, so I'm not likely ever going to buy one, but it is a very very functional tool...just for a niche market.

Also, I'm going to beat Derek to the punch and post a link to his comparison of it and other shooting planes::)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared.html

Niels Cosman
03-11-2013, 1:46 PM
Looking through the L-N catalog yesterday, I see they're offering a special shooting plane for $500. I love all things Lie-Nielsen and own a number of their planes. In fact I use their low-angle jack for, among things, shooting edges. But $500 for a specialty plane? Is this for woodworkers or collectors? Wow.

I had a similar impression when I first saw the plane (after mopping up the puddle of drool).
However, my opinion flipped 180 degrees after I bought the plane several months ago for some very small precise production work. This plane is phenominal. It works like gangbusters and has paid for itself many times over already. Working on larger things it makes my other shooting arrangments seem silly and awkward. I am glad I waited till I actually needed it for a specific task, but now that I have its one of my favorite planes (behind my 605 and my LN 7, which also consequently are fine shooters). The funny thing is I have always thought it was silly to spend time making jigs and fixtures for table saws, routers, and the like but with several specialty shooting boards this plane works magic in a production setting. Dead on compound miters, eyes closed, no problem. My finishing process is a couple of swipes, a super light sand and finish. Heaven.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2013, 1:50 PM
I bought the plane several months ago for some very small precise production work. This plane is phenominal. It works like gangbusters and has paid for itself many times over already.

For those of us who do some shooting here and there it is a rather lofty expense.

For those doing production work involving miters and such, it is likely a reasonable investment saving much time (equals money) in the long run.

jtk

Chris Griggs
03-11-2013, 2:00 PM
The funny thing is I have always thought it was silly to spend time making jigs and fixtures for table saws, routers, and the like but with several specialty shooting boards this plane works magic

That's funny. I hate jigs for router and TSs and have only ever made like 1 or 2, but I have 3 shooting boards all for different purposes (90 and both type of 45 degree miter) and I will never ever EVER give them up. I was asked to build some octagonal boxes once and if was something I was going to do regularly I'd definitely make a shooter for that. Anyway, its cool to hear how the 50 is getting used in your shop. How bout some photos of these specialty shooting boards?

george wilson
03-11-2013, 2:11 PM
We had an original Stanley "Shute board"(sp?) at work. It was not true,though,and the curator would not let me take a light cut to fix it. So,it was not used. The LN will no doubt be better. I would not pay the bucks for an original to find out it was warped,not true,etc.. Of course,I have the means to fix one,but then the collectible value.....

Adam Cruea
03-11-2013, 3:03 PM
I've thought about picking one up on my annual trip to Maine this year.

While a LAJ will do the trick, I think the extra 3 pounds of iron might be nice to plow through end grain with. *shrug* Maybe they'll let me try it before I buy it at the Toolworks.

Mark Roderick
03-11-2013, 3:25 PM
Very interesting responses, as always.

Mike Cogswell
03-11-2013, 5:06 PM
. . . I bought the plane several months ago for some very small precise production work. This plane is phenominal. It works like gangbusters and has paid for itself many times over already. Working on larger things it makes my other shooting arrangments seem silly and awkward.

Have you also used the LN no. 9? If you have, how do they compare?

Ryan Baker
03-11-2013, 8:58 PM
I've thought about picking one up on my annual trip to Maine this year.

While a LAJ will do the trick, I think the extra 3 pounds of iron might be nice to plow through end grain with. *shrug* Maybe they'll let me try it before I buy it at the Toolworks.

You might want to hold off until you see what Rob Lee has up his sleeve...

Richard Shaefer
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I've use both the the 9 and the 51. The 9 is nice but the 51 is much more comfortable to use and the mass of it just cruises though end grain

Niels Cosman
03-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Have you also used the LN no. 9? If you have, how do they compare?

The only time I used a No.9 was on a demo of Tico Vogts shoot boards . That felt pretty great, but also Tico's boards are also really nice and have a extra nice ramp built in. Also at that point I already was aware that the No.51 was in the pipeline AND didn't have a specific purpose that i couldn't deal with shooting with my No.62 or No.7

The way I see it, the big difference with the No.51 an any other shooter is the ergonomics of the handle and that wonderfully skewed frog. Hot dogs are fine and dandy, but that's still a lot of gripping and pushing if you are doing it all day long. Also the No.51 is good and weighty which helps tool push through the work. The skewed blade also means you get all the benefits of a ramped board, without the fuss building one or maintaining a skewed blade. The no.51 remains a SPECIALTY tool and is by NO means an essential tool for general work, however with the right shooting boards it does many more tricks than most others that fall in that category. Before plopping down the moola, I would seriously question its necessity. But as I said before, for my specific tasks it is indispensable.

Derek Cohen
03-12-2013, 1:51 AM
I'd call it a luxury item for gentleman woodworkers, though I'm sure collectors will buy it too. It a large plane, with a lot of machining (more machining=more likely to hit a bubble in the casting and have to toss it) and probably made in small quantities, so that likely why its priced so high.

I've used it at a show. Its pretty cool, but I can't say I thought it was markedly better than a No. 9 or an LAJ. Very very different feel though, its like shooting endgrain with a freight train. I actually like the No. 9 better because it gives you more feedback, but the I think the 50 is one of those tools that people who love it will REALLY REALLY love it, and afterwards everything else will seem puny.

I'm happy shooting with my LV LAJ, and while I did like it a lot I didn't fall into the LOVE IT category, so I'm not likely ever going to buy one, but it is a very very functional tool...just for a niche market.

Also, I'm going to beat Derek to the punch and post a link to his comparison of it and other shooting planes::)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared.html

Thanks Chris.

What needs to be added is that this article compares a LN #51, LN #9, and LV LAJ on both flat and ramped shooting boards.

It may answer all questions.

And I have seen what LV are up to with their shooter, and can say it it likely exceeds those above.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
03-12-2013, 6:21 AM
Thanks Chris.

What needs to be added is that this article compares a LN #51, LN #9, and LV LAJ on both flat and ramped shooting boards.

And I have seen what LV are up to with their shooter, and can say it it likely exceeds those above.

Regards from Perth

Derek

No problem!

Indeed, that was a very good aspect of that article.

I must admit I am very curious but also dreading to see what Rob and his posse pull out of their hats....

Now we also need a comparison of these planes on a miter board and on a miter jack like this. Get on it Derek. And while your at it I think its time you make some progress on your "Compendium of Block Planes" :)

Jim Neeley
03-12-2013, 1:04 PM
Thanks Chris.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

While I understand you're likely under non-disclosure, is there any chance Rob or yourself would give a "ballpark target" release period?

I.e. "2Q2013" or "2021 & beyond".. :-)

Enjoying the Iditarod...

Jim in Alaska

Adam Cruea
03-12-2013, 1:19 PM
You might want to hold off until you see what Rob Lee has up his sleeve...

Oh, thanks for the heads up! :D

Derek Cohen
03-13-2013, 2:12 AM
Derek,

While I understand you're likely under non-disclosure, is there any chance Rob or yourself would give a "ballpark target" release period?

I.e. "2Q2013" or "2021 & beyond".. :-)

Enjoying the Iditarod...

Jim in Alaska

Jim, I have no idea about release, and if Rob Lee had not also mentioned this plane before I would not say anything at all about its existence. I do not know if the plane I saw in January, when I sat in on design meetings with the LV team, actually will be the final production version. All I can say is it is a typical Veritas product: innovative and modern with all the fruit. It will be very, very good. When it gets to the stores I do not know.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ryan Baker
03-14-2013, 8:53 PM
I though Rob was talking about late this year when he mentioned it not too long ago. I could be remembering it wrong. Shouldn't be too hard to dig that thread up.

You'd best start being REALLY good this year if you are going to put that on your xmas list.:)

Julie Moriarty
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM

I'll admit I'm hooked on LN stuff. I've tried so many other brands but have never been disappointed by what 'ol Tom puts out.

I got the catalog. I saw the shooting plane. I have the low angle jack plane and all the bells and whistles they were selling when that was supposed to be the bomb. I built the shooting jig, exactly according to their specs. And in the end I found I rarely use it.

I absolutely love the low angle jack plane! I've become one with it! But to buy a specific shooting plane? I'm not that "worldly". In other words, I don't have the money to blow.

If I had the $500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be shopping Festool or Auriou rasps and files or maybe a start on some fine chisels. The shooting plane is too specific. Spend your money on what you'll use most often and what will give you the most satisfaction.

Jim Neeley
03-15-2013, 4:47 AM
Spend your money on what you'll use most often and what will give you the most satisfaction.

Julie,

What we'll use the most often and what will give us the most satisfaction may well not be the same thing. :)

Jim

Chris Griggs
03-15-2013, 6:16 AM
The shooting plane is too specific. Spend your money on what you'll use most often and what will give you the most satisfaction.

Probably depends on how you work. If your xcutting most stuff with a chopsaw or at the TS with a sled you probably won't need to shoot that often. If you crosscut everything with handsaws and are only a moderately skilled sawyer, like me, you end up at least lightly shooting just about everything. My LA jack essentially is a dedicated shooter and while I use it for other things, I use it enough with the shooting board that I would not feel bad at all if thats all it was capable of. I came very close buying a No. 9 when I got my LA jack but the the LA jack was A LOT less expensive and does the job 99-100% as well. Were I a wealthier man (or a single man who didn't need to answer for extravagant purchases) I would very likely have some type of dedicated miter plane.

Work styles, typical lumber species used, and shop space, other tools in shop ect, can have a HUGE impact on what on what new tools will see lots of use in the shop.