PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
11 Mar 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
No real woodworking for me this past weekend. Worked oncall and it wasn't pretty. Tired, exhausted, and glad it's done for now.

I'm hoping to get some woodworking done this week and I'm really liking the spring like temps we are having now. Spring fever is hitting me hard this year. :)

Back to the grind for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Sean Hughto
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Knocked out a quick stool in walnut and maple. Still needs some finish more than the initial coat of BLO.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8547007768_2736410f83_c.jpg

David Nelson1
03-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Very nice Sean.

Robert Horky
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
almost there .. and will post a thread in the completed projects in the next few days ...
256697256698 walnut coffee table ... and snuck in a bandsaw box ...

Sean Hughto
03-11-2013, 4:15 PM
Thanks, Dave. Just a trifle. A variation of Dunbar's shop stool. It was originally a bit taller, but I learned that while round top stools that are dished are comfortable when your feet can touch the floor, when they are taller, the edge digs into your leg unless there is a sturdy foot rest between the legs all the way around or the seat is carved like a chair seat. Learned a bit with everything!

Jim Tabor
03-11-2013, 8:23 PM
I recently aquired three Unisaws to refurbish as a change of pace project. Saw #1 is a real mess as the previous owner let it get flooded and then set for about three years. Got saw #1 completely disassembled and rebuilt the arbor with a spare set of bearings, spacers, and arbor shaft that I found in an 8 year old box covered with saw dust inside saw #2. Arbor on #2 seems to be okay, maybe I lucked out.

Pat Barry
03-11-2013, 8:28 PM
Sean, very nice project. Did you get all that done in a weekend? My goodness, that is nice.

Sean Hughto
03-11-2013, 8:49 PM
Thanks, Pat! It's pretty quick lathe work. Not too hard to do in couple afternoons.

Matt Meiser
03-11-2013, 9:12 PM
I worked 60 some hours the week before last, then went away for the weekend with my wife for our anniversary. She dropped me off at the airport Sunday evening and I flew to Kansas City, then drove up to St. Joseph on Monday morning through Wednesday evening. Spent another night in KC then flew home Thursday morning. Had another 60 hour week by the time I was able to get out of my office Friday. Needless to say I didn't feel like doing a ton over the weekend. About the only thing I really did all weekend was buy and hang 2 TV's (one new, one a replacement for the last CRT in our house) in preparation for DirecTV coming out to install new equipment this week.

I did manage to put together an estimate for my parents so they can decide if their cabinet project is in the budget for the spring or if it will have to wait for summer.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2013, 9:17 PM
Knocked out a quick stool in walnut and maple. Still needs some finish more than the initial coat of BLO.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8547007768_2736410f83_c.jpg

Very clean lines! Looks comfortable!

Shawn Pixley
03-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Saturday AM, I went to the LN tool event in Sierra Madre. Picked up a fishtail chisel. There was a demonstration of Federal style inlay / stringing. We talked for a while. Browsed through the collection of "ald arn" at Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling. Very impressive. When the small bandsaw is a 28" model, you feel mighty small. I picked up some very nice veneers for a good price.

Sunday created a stringing tool from a card scraper. Cutting the V-groove was a test of eysight.

My son has been exploring picking up beater guitars, refinishing, setting them up and reselling. He stripped the body of a Jackson Kerry King V. We repaired the cracks, dents and breaks and added a new top veneer.

Not my style of guitar, but when done it should play well. It would have been easier in some ways to just build a new body, but it was a teaching moment for me. He has learned to use a block plane and spoke shave well. We are working on a finishing schedule now. We also had the first bar-b-que party of the year last night. All in all, pretty good.

Mike Cozad
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
drove up to St. Joseph

Who did you get on the wrong side of to get forced to go there? Lol...

One of the more challenging towns I've called home...:eek:

Matt Meiser
03-11-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't say its one of the nicest towns I've visited. Just seems like a town past its heyday, but all I saw was the part between the area by the mall where our hotel was and the plant I was visiting. Then there's the hog processing plant on the southwest side. Holy cow (pig?) does that place stink but what can you expect from a place that has livestock haulers backed up to one dock and refrigerator trucks backed up to another? Luckily we were just far enough away (and upwind) so we didn't smell it all day.

I actually volunteered to fill in for a coworker a few weeks ago when she was swamped and I was light. Then I got wrangled into another project in the interim and got swamped myself. Not that I'm complaining--better than the alternative.

Mark Welte
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
After a year of completely tearing down and rebuilding I was finally able to get my Grizzly 1023Z and Grizzly 14" bandsaw both operational. I purchased them off of CL for $800 and they both needed a bunch of work. The saw was never set up correctly and the top still had cosmoline on it. The bandsaw had been tipped over and had broken parts. I was able to order parts through Grizzly and get everything back up and running. The tablesaw passed the nickel test and the bandsaw needs new belts but tracks correctly. I had been doing most of my wood work with an old Craftsman circular saw which made it difficult to get a straight cut no matter how hard I tried. Needless to say I am pretty excited to get back out in the garage and keep working.

Mark