PDA

View Full Version : Is one lathe enough?

Glen Blanchard
03-11-2013, 9:33 AM
In another thread I mentioned my intent on upgrading my Delta 46-460 to a full size lathe at some point in the future. I know there are lots of turners who have both a mini and a full size lathe. I am wondering if there is good reason to have both other than convenience. My shop is really filled with stuff and I don't know that I will be able to find room to keep the small Delta when I upgrade. On the other hand, I don't want the size of the larger lathe to be limiting on what I can do either. Are there some things (perhaps pens?) that are just too small to do on a full size lathe?

Alan Trout
03-11-2013, 9:41 AM
Glen,

It is really nice to have the ability to be working on a piece on one lathe and if you need to make something for that piece or start another piece you have the lathe available to you. It is not a must have but really nice.

Alan

Grant Wilkinson
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
While Alan is correct, I would not concern yourself about not being able to do very small pieces on very big lathes. I've turned small finials and loads of pens on Jet minis and on Oneway 2436's. The Oneway was overkill, no doubt, but it did the job just fine.

John Coloccia
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure why a larger lathe would be limiting. In fact, and this is counterintuitive, when I talk to people and they see some of the larger tools in my shop, they often wonder why I "need" a 19" bandsaw, and 12" jointer/planer etc to make guitars. The answer is that to do the most precise and clean work you often need the heaviest and beefiest machines. Bigger and heavier = smoother and less vibration most of the time. That's exactly what you want for the finest work.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
While Alan is correct, I would not concern yourself about not being able to do very small pieces on very big lathes. I've turned small finials and loads of pens on Jet minis and on Oneway 2436's. The Oneway was overkill, no doubt, but it did the job just fine.

I turn pens on my Robust American Beauty... now that I have tweaked the headstock (and broke my finger in the process :().

Reed Gray
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
I did get a mini lathe for turning threaded boxes (Klein jig). I do most of the turning on my bigger lathe, but all the threading and finish turning on my mini. The threading jig is designed for a 10 inch lathe. I would have to have made a tower 7 1/2 inches high to mount the threading jig on. Other than that, every thing else on the big lathe.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
My $0.02. I can see the increase on my electric bill when I use my Jet 1642. So, when I turn pens and other small stoppers/finials etc, I rather use the Jet Mini. BUT there is no reason that I couldn't turn pens on the 1642. In fact, when I was teaching my son, we had them both running. Takes 10 times the electricity to run a 2 hp motor vice a 1/4 hp motor.

Peter Blair
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm with the group that supports more than one lathe. I am teaching my grandson's to turn on my Mini and when it is not busy I like to do bottle stoppers while I am waiting for something to dry or set or ??? on my Oneway.

Thom Sturgill
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I started on a mini and took a weekend course on a PM 3520B. Day and night difference in how smooth it ran. Heavier metal and better bearings tell the story. I bought a Jet 1642 as I could not afford the PM. While it does what I need, I know I can do better on better equipment. All that said, I still hav ethe 1220 mini (or midi?) and use it once in a while, especially for training my grandson.

Noah Barfield
03-11-2013, 1:06 PM
I have both a Jet 1642 and a 1014. On days when my turning club does all day workshops and classes, it helps to have my own mini-lathe to turn on.

Jamie Donaldson
03-11-2013, 1:25 PM
This is a loaded topic for me since I currently have 4 lathes in my shop, but each has a dedicated function in workflow as my excuse! Besides, I have a hard time letting go of my old toys that still have potential use. There are functions that each machine serves that aid in operations - buffing wheels, sanding discs, long bed vs shortbed, appropriate size for certain project demands, like small spindle work on the more compact Delta 460, and the big heavy stuff on the Stubby.

Jeff Fagen
03-11-2013, 1:27 PM
I have th 46-460 and I also have a Ryobi lathe that is just set up for pens.When the big one breaks down and you are waiting for parts it would be nice to have something to turn on.The Delta is a nice backup to have.

Chip Sutherland
03-11-2013, 4:39 PM
yes, no, yes, no, yes. I am down to 2: Jet mini and 3520b. I just sold my Jet 1442 last weekend. IMO...having 2 lathes is nice because I am always working on several things. What I have found to be a better investment is a bunch of chucks. I only have one chuck setup for the Jet Mini. The rest are setup for the 3520b. I really like the new Jet 1221VS...I would sell my Jet mini for one.

charlie knighton
03-11-2013, 4:40 PM
when i upgrated to 1642 from a delta it took me over a year to sell the delta, happy day

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-11-2013, 5:40 PM
I've got 3 lathes, Powermatic 3520b, Powermatic model 45 & a Rikon mini. I use them all. Seems like you can never have to many lathes:)

Dan Hintz
03-11-2013, 7:00 PM
What I have found to be a better investment is a bunch of chucks.

Agreed... I have several strongholds and a couple of Talons, and sometimes things stay in the chuck for a while. For example, right now I have a Maple vase in a Stronghold.

John M. Smith
03-11-2013, 8:50 PM
I have 3 lathes. PM3520b, Powermatic 90, And the most recent addition, Delta 46-460. I won't be getting rid of any. And I am a flat woodworker.:D Now I think it's time to start collecting chucks. Up to 4 so far.

Harry Robinette
03-11-2013, 10:28 PM
I keep my 18" General,Vega2600 and Jet 10-14. The General for mostly spindle work,Vega for bowl work and Jet Mini for pens and small stuff.
More then 1 lathe is very nice but not a must have,it's more a convenience.Making HF and lid on one and doing the finial on the other.

robert baccus
03-11-2013, 11:17 PM
That depends on how many lathes your shop will hold. Lathes and turning tools must never be rationalized---bad habit. I have only 3 chucks but have probably 30+ vases/bowls on the shelf drying on glueblocks/single screws. Also I have and love a dozen steel dovetail rings which stay on bowls or glueblocks. Also a friend has made me some goods heavy faceplates. When sanding/finishing I often have 6-8 pieces in a merrygo round---easy on, easy off even while wet with finish. Yeaaa anything that makes it easier. Looking at lathe #3 now thanks to J. Keeton.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2013, 11:40 PM
I have a DVR XP and a Jet 1220. I wouldn't part with either.

David C. Roseman
03-12-2013, 9:55 AM
A second lathe is also great if you want to have a friend or family member turn with you from time to time.

David

jared herbert
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
I started out with a delta midi. I used it for several years then bought a 3520A. I kept the midi thinking it would be of use at some point. I put it on the shelf and I have never used it, not even once. Night and day difference, even on the small items such as pens, turkey calls etc. I am somewhat limited on bench space so that is something to consider. The only reason I keep the midi is at some point I will give it to my son when he has a place to set it up, otherwise turn it into cash. Jared

Robert Henrickson
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Likewise, I had a Jet mini then bought the 1642. Put the mini on the shelf 5(?) years ago and haven't plugged it in since. But I don't intend to get rid of it, since it might be useful for demos or something. As for the bed extension for it -- that could go.

Dan Hintz
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
A second lathe is also great if you want to have a friend or family member turn with you from time to time.

If I could only convince my wife to join me...

Roy Turbett
03-12-2013, 4:30 PM

David

Ditto. I have three Powermatic 90's and a Jet mini and lots of friends that like to come over to turn.

Matt Mackinnon
03-13-2013, 10:12 PM
My $0.02. I can see the increase on my electric bill when I use my Jet 1642. So, when I turn pens and other small stoppers/finials etc, I rather use the Jet Mini. BUT there is no reason that I couldn't turn pens on the 1642. In fact, when I was teaching my son, we had them both running. Takes 10 times the electricity to run a 2 hp motor vice a 1/4 hp motor.

I don't understand that comment. The size of your motor should have a negligible difference in the cost of running. An electric motor only draws as much current as is needed to spin. so a 1/2hp motor spinning a pen will use close to the same power as a 3hp motor spinning the same pen, not 6x. Yes it will be a little bit more as it's rotational friction is greater, but not by much.

james bell
03-14-2013, 9:30 AM
Like a lot of y'all, I started with a 46-460 a wife was upset when I purchased it since she said I was "wasting my money on something I would need to upgrade", but at the time I did not know if I would either like turning or be able to do it.

after a year, purchased a 3520b, and thought about keeping the delta, but a neighbor was getting into woodworking so sold it. Probably would have used it, but the money is definitely better - allowed me to buy more tools!

Mark Detrick
03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
I just got a 3520B but if I can find the space, I hope to keep my old lathe for applying finishes ( I use a lot of CA finish on pens ) and other messy tasks.

Jim Underwood
03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I bought a Jet 1014 when I started out, and used it for years until ToolNut had a sale on the Jet 1642 ($1600 w/free shipping), and now I could probably do without the mini if I really had to. I do use it for projects where it's just easier to have two lathes. I also use it for demos at shows or workshops, since the 1642 is just a tad difficult to move around...