PDA

View Full Version : Howdy folks

Harold Matthews
03-11-2013, 9:31 AM
Name is Harold and I live in Paradise, ;) Costa Rica. My CR wife and I have a small 4 acre tree farm we planted, and the sawmill to use when we start cutting. We live in Linda Vista (pretty view0 near the Arenal Volcano.

Have done woodworking since I was a very young boy, back in the last century. Am 69 years old and still going strong. Love adventure.

Feels good to be here, so far.

Harold

Paul Saffold
03-11-2013, 1:38 PM
Welcome to the creek, Harold. Sounds like you have lots of experience to share with us.
Paul

Harold Burrell
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Harold,

Welcome to the Creek! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Harold

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2013, 9:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Harold! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Jeffrey J Smith
03-14-2013, 9:48 PM
Welcome Harold - I spend a way-too-short 3 weeks in your beautiful country touring around about 3 years ago. Can't wait to see what comes out of some of those rain forests I hiked. Saw many trees I couldn't identify but looked like a great adventure to turn. Spent a few days around Arenal Volcano. That really is Paradise by any definition.

Jeff

robert baccus
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Love Costa Rica yeah. Welcome aboard. They make fence posts of Cocobolo there. Are you a transplant there or native??

Thomas Canfield
03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Welcome Harold. My wife and I made a trip to Costa Rica about 15 years ago so she could see the Arenal Volcano, but the night we were there it was not visable. Guide later told us it was visable only about 1 night in 3. Lots of nice wood down there, and I was wishing to bring some back..

bob svoboda
03-15-2013, 8:02 AM
Glad to have you aboard, Harold. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Allan Ferguson
03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome . Allan

Ted Calver
03-15-2013, 2:42 PM
Welcome Harold. Glad you found us.

Billy Tallant
03-16-2013, 9:26 AM
Welcome Harold!!!

Harold Matthews
03-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the nice welcomes, everyone. I'm terribly occupied with projects, one of trying to gain insight for wood.

I would like to send out a few sample blanks of Spalted wood I just acquired, and get feedback on how it rates as turning either dried or stabilized. Receivers of the wood will need to do the stabilizing. My Son is too busy right now, to get set up for this.

I WILL be sending a pkg to my son, in Fl. next week, so, it will have samples in it.

I would like about 5 turners that would return feedback to me. I have LOTS of Spalted varieties, along with non-spalted, and, want to start selling, but, that will be a little later on.

Very experienced turners or knife makers is who I would like to work with on this.

I will post some photos later today. Thanks, Harold P.S. Is there a members gallery on this site ??

Steve Vaughan
03-16-2013, 5:05 PM
Been to CR 4 times, once in the San Jose area and the rest in Las Juntas (Guanacaste), definitely a bit of paradise. Love that place along with it's beautiful woods. I've been fortunate to bring some back with me on trips. Here's a couple of plates I turned from wood I brought back...any idea of what the wood type is?

Fred Belknap
03-16-2013, 5:10 PM
Hello Herold: Welcome, it seems I have seen you around here or some other forum before. IIRC you and your son were in the salvaged timber business. Nice to see you again.

Harold Matthews
03-16-2013, 5:56 PM
Hi Fred
Yeah, we recovered and sawed Sunken Cypress and heart Pine in Florida.

Robert, I moved here 7 years ago.

Steve
Yer not gonna believe this, but, I have NO idea what species you posted. :confused: Las Juntas-Abangaras in good gold country. That's the real reason I moved here, to prospect for ORO. My Buddy here, died, we got into the diving for $$$ gig in Fl., then sawing came along, so, here I am. We are higher elevation than Abangaras, so, we have different varieties. It really is amazing how that works. If those were up here, the one on the right would slightly resemble Spanish Cedar, Cedro Amargo. Is it pretty light weight ?? The second I can't even guess. There are around 1200 lumber species in all of CR, I have been told. :eek:

Let me see if I can post a few photos.

The first 2 are Spalted dry and wet Manzana de Agua or water apple. same pieces just wet & dry & not in the same order. 3/4 X 3/4 X 5¼"

2nd set are Spalted Mango dry & wet. 13/16 X 13/16X 6+" long.

3rd are 1 set of Spalted Manzana de Agua Knife Scales. These show both sides of the pieces. Approx 2" X ½" each X 5¼" long. All pieces are just samples, so, let me know if I missed something.

All pieces are hard enough to turn dry, I THINK. Read below for more info.

I'm no photographer. These are pieces I would like to send to interested turners to do with what you feel best and report back to me.
There will be 5 people chosen, so send in your info, so I can try to pick the best ones for the pieces. The knife scales I want to send to a knife maker, so, if a good candidate can be contacted about this thread, please someone do that.

As mentioned earlier, I want these turned dry or stabilized or dyed and stabilized, and, why you chose that method, on ALL pieces.

Questions??, send them on .

George Morris
03-16-2013, 7:20 PM
Welcome to the creek. Sounds like you are enjoying life, but I live in paradise. The north central mts. of Pa. It even snowed today!

Harold Matthews
03-16-2013, 7:49 PM
:p Nice one George. I grew up in New Jersey, and worked in the snow in the worst of conditions. Don't miss it one bit.