PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 HP,VFD Package for my oliver lathe

Anthony Diodati
03-10-2013, 7:00 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread here, as I am still wondering what to do with the motor for my 159.
I still need to learn to use it, but that is another thread.
This set up is only about $180.00, and although 220 might be better, I like the Idea of 110 volt.
I am renting right now, and don't want to run 220 right now.
This set up says it gives you the VDF and the 3 Phase motor.
I don't have any 3 phase motors laying around any more,
Is this really ready to go, and all I would need?

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6899

EDIT
For $20.00 more,they have a 1 HP
No the 1 HP has a 7/8" shaft.
(http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900)
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900

Rich Riddle
03-10-2013, 9:33 PM
It seems like a good deal since the VFD alone goes for $131.00. For what size Oliver lathe would you use this? The VFD works great at controlling lathe speeds. Why does a 7/8" shaft bother you? Sheeves are very low cost items.

Dennis Ford
03-10-2013, 9:57 PM
The motor and VFD are the big items that you need. Other things are:
* wire
* start/stop, fwd/reverse & speed controls (these are optional but more convenient than the controls mounted on VFD)
* pulleys or sheaves and a belt (perhaps your existing ones will work)
* I did not see the nominal speed of that motor; if it is 3450, you will not have much torque, 1750 would be fine.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
* wire
* start/stop, fwd/reverse & speed controls (these are optional but more convenient than the controls mounted on VFD)
* I did not see the nominal speed of that motor; if it is 3450, you will not have much torque, 1750 would be fine.

Sounds like a great deal. Motor retailed for $311 a few years ago. That model motor is an 1800 RPM unit according to their 2009 catalog.

Anthony Diodati
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
It seems like a good deal since the VFD alone goes for $131.00. For what size Oliver lathe would you use this? The VFD works great at controlling lathe speeds. Why does a 7/8" shaft bother you? Sheeves are very low cost items.

* wire

Rich,this would be going on a Oliver 159, might be a 159 "A".
It is a 12" swing lathe.
It takes a NEMA 56 frame motor. It is a factory reeves drive, and the motor shaft needs to be 5/8".

Dennis, You are right, I dodn't see a Motor RPM called out.
Thought I had seen it was 1800 RPM, but I will need to make sure before/If I order. No, 3450 is way too fast.
Thanks,
Tony

Rich Riddle
03-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Rich,this would be going on a Oliver 159, might be a 159 "A".
It is a 12" swing lathe.
It takes a NEMA 56 frame motor. It is a factory reeves drive, and the motor shaft needs to be 5/8".

Dennis, You are right, I dodn't see a Motor RPM called out.
Thought I had seen it was 1800 RPM, but I will need to make sure before/If I order. No, 3450 is way too fast.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

It is an 1800 RPM motor. See the picture from the catalog. That system should work fine for the lathe you own. Good luck.

Anthony Diodati
03-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks Rich, I was typing my reply while you were replying.
Do you guys know if the reverse capability is built into the control unit?
I see the speed/frequency is.

Yeah, heck, if this would work well, I can't beat it. TSC wants $190.00 for a single phase 3/4 HP motor alone.

Tony,

It is an 1800 RPM motor. See the picture from the catalog. That system should work fine for the lathe you own. Good luck.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Three-phase is easy to reverse. Just pick two of the wires and reverse them and the motor reverses. That said, since the VFD provides all three phases, it would be easy for it to reverse two of the phases. Hence, it should provide you with reverse. Well all the ones I have seen recently do provide capability of a reverse.

Anthony Diodati
03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Good deal, so it should have it, if not, it's easy to hook up a switch.
Well looks like I will order tomorrow then.
I don't see it on the site, someone at owwm said there is a 2 year warranty on the Teco Westinghouse VDF.
I will have to ask them.

Anthony Diodati
03-11-2013, 5:14 PM
Talked to someone there, did verify 1800 RPM, Gave me another 1-800 number if I have trouble setting it up. Said it could be made to display frequency or RPM, ands could be set up for reverse. Said there was a 2 year warranty on the controller, but only 90 days on the motor.
Guess I am going to order one, hope I have good luck with it.

jared herbert
03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I have been looking for a deal like this for some time. It looks like just what I want, a motor and vfd that I know will be matched and compatable. I looked at the website and will probably go with the 1 hp 220 volt setup for the lathe I will adapt it to, an old Delta 1940s school lathe that I have come into possession of. I always hesitated as I didnt really know my way around the vfd part of this and the switching that has to go with it to reverse, etc. Thanks for posting this. Jared

Rich Riddle
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Are you planning on purchasing it any time soon?

jared herbert
03-12-2013, 2:12 PM
No real time frame just saw that it was available now. The lathe has been sitting for sometime, one of those projects that I never get around to starting on. Jared

Rich Riddle
03-12-2013, 9:05 PM
No real time frame just saw that it was available now. The lathe has been sitting for sometime, one of those projects that I never get around to starting on. JaredI understand that dilemma. To counter it, there is a thread going on right now about someone who didn't pull the trigger fast enough and Felder/Hammer prices increased during the decision phase of purchasing. That's a great price, but how long it will last is anyone's guess.

Anthony Diodati
03-13-2013, 8:48 PM
placed my order last night. They said it shipped today.
$40.00 shipping!
I thought that was a bit high, UPS.
But what are you going to do?

Anthony Diodati
03-18-2013, 8:03 PM
placed my order last night. They said it shipped today.
$40.00 shipping!
I thought that was a bit high, UPS.
But what are you going to do?
still setting up my motor controls. Seems to work pretty well, I like the soft start, You can slow it way down, and speed it up (To a reasonable point,still have to use the reeves drive after a certain point) just with the motor controls.
But I am still working on that, working on setting up the remote controls, because they tell you the key pad controls on the VFD are not real robust.
It's pretty cool though, sort of a "soft start" and the stopping is sort of like an electronic brake.
Have your reading glasses and a good light to read the wires on the motor though....................
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/mrbreezeet1/Upload%20and%20forget%202/Switch1_zps042f0809.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/mrbreezeet1/Upload%20and%20forget%202/Switch2_zpsc2a2b3d8.jpg

jared herbert
03-18-2013, 8:31 PM
It appears like you have a separate box with a rheostat and possibly a reversing switch. Is that correct? Did you get that box and the controls from the same company that the motor and vfd came from? Will the vfd slow the motor down to just a few rpms? It sounds like it must not if you still have to use the reeves drive. Any info you can give me will be appreciated. The shipping must be fast as you have it already. Thanks in advance. Jared

Anthony Diodati
03-18-2013, 9:08 PM
rheostat and a reversing switch yes is what it is, No, the switch and Pot I got from radio shack. I have the part numbers when you are ready.
I may add like a big red Emergency stop button.
The box is just a plastic 2 gang work box from Lowes, I bandsawed the mounting ears off. I still have to rig some type of mounting for the box.
Yes, you still want to use the reeves drive, or some type of pulley's, but yes you can slow it down pretty slow, I wouldn't say a few rpm's, not that slow, but slow enough where I think you could "power brush" on a finish. I don't know how long you would want to run it that slow, they say you need to watch the motor temp.
I am still trying to figure everything out, and still have a lot to learn, but so far, I am happy with it.

You may want to do some reading at this site.
http:// ww (http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php/23-ELECTRICAL-ISSUES-POWERING-YOUR-MACHINES-amp-SHOP-%28PHASE-CONVERTERS-VFDS-ETC-%29)w .hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php/23-ELECTRICAL-ISSUES-POWERING-YOUR-MACHINES-amp-SHOP-%28PHASE-CONVERTERS-VFDS-ETC-%29

Thanks,
Tony

jared herbert
03-19-2013, 9:52 PM
Tony I am going to order my setup tomorrow. Could you be good enough to let me know what the radio shack parts numbers are for the rheostat and reversing switch? Thanks

Anthony Diodati
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
271-1715 was the pot, and 275-0654 is the SPDT switch. Was about $8.00 with tax.

Anthony Diodati
03-23-2013, 6:29 AM
There is a good you tube video at the bottom of this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157610-Teco-FM50-VFD-question

jared herbert
03-23-2013, 9:45 AM
I ordered my motor and vfd yesterday. I went with the 230 volt 1 hp setup. It cost very little more than the 3/4 horse kit. I did check and it increased the price by 50% to go to a 1.5 horse motor so just stuck with the 1hp kit. Shipping on mine was about $50 but it weighs over 50 lbs and has to go half way across the country. Jared

Anthony Diodati
03-23-2013, 3:01 PM
This is where the ext control hook up.
You may have to change a few perimeters.

Anthony Diodati
03-24-2013, 1:52 AM
Here is a You tube Video. It's sort of loud, Please turn you systems volume down before starting video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtWUIV9zFO0&feature=youtu.be

Robert Champagne
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
I have a 159. I would be sure that the motor you are getting will fit on the lathe. Mine is a 50's model and bolts to the casting with two bolts, sort of a d mount. I haven't reasearched it, but I didn't think you could put a stock motor on it. I got a three phase machine just so I could slow it down with a VFD. I got the VFD from Dealers. They were helpful and understood what I was trying to do. I got the TECO NV something. It has a Hz control on the front, with forward and reverse as well. At some point it would be nice to put some external controls on it, but for now it is fine. If you can make the 1 hp fit, get it. The 3/4 hp motor is kind of wimpy when you get it down to very slow speeds. If you can do the conversion for $180, got for it. That was about what I paid for my Vfd alone, I believe.
Rob

charlie knighton
03-25-2013, 7:18 AM
good thread, thanks guys

Anthony Diodati
03-25-2013, 7:40 PM
I got sort of lucky when I got my Oliver. It's sort of a "Newer" model, and the motor frame it takes is a every day 56.
3/4 HP was as high as I could go, due to the shaft size. Mine had to be 5/8".
You probably should wire up the external controls.
It is my understand that the switches on the VFD are not real Heavy duty, and you are better off wearing out $10.00 worth of Radio Shack switches, than wearing out the VFD's switches.

I have a 159. I would be sure that the motor you are getting will fit on the lathe. Mine is a 50's model and bolts to the casting with two bolts, sort of a d mount. I haven't reasearched it, but I didn't think you could put a stock motor on it. I got a three phase machine just so I could slow it down with a VFD. I got the VFD from Dealers. They were helpful and understood what I was trying to do. I got the TECO NV something. It has a Hz control on the front, with forward and reverse as well. At some point it would be nice to put some external controls on it, but for now it is fine. If you can make the 1 hp fit, get it. The 3/4 hp motor is kind of wimpy when you get it down to very slow speeds. If you can do the conversion for $180, got for it. That was about what I paid for my Vfd alone, I believe.
Rob

Robert Champagne
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
That is great that it is a standard mount. Even with the 3/4 hp motor they are very solid machines. I'm not too worried about wearing out the controls just yet. I came across a 20" swing patternmakers lathe I got set up recently and have been using. The Oliver is very nice for smaller bowls, the Clement is what I am using for bowls larger than 12."
Rob

Anthony Diodati
03-26-2013, 5:54 PM
Wow, 20 inch, nice.
Wish I had room for something like that.

Josh Bowman
03-26-2013, 9:11 PM
Thanks. Just scooped up a 3/4 hp for my metal lathe.

Anthony Diodati
03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Did you get the same one I did, or the 220 V input. Really this 110V 3/4HP set up seems to work pretty well. I just was finishing up this small bowl, it works nice. You may have to still use your belts some, the oliver, with the reeves drive on High, and the Frequency on 20HZ I can stall the motor with the hand wheel.
But I'm just saying, I never expected to be able to leave it on high, and use the VFD for all my speed range.

Thanks. Just scooped up a 3/4 hp for my metal lathe.

Josh Bowman
03-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Yep I needed the 110. I think I'm over my quota for 220 stuff.

Doug Ladendorf
03-27-2013, 3:48 PM
This is great info to someone new to the VFD concept (me). Opens the world of three phase toys. :D

Seems like an excellent deal for the VFD and motor.

Anthony Diodati
03-27-2013, 6:32 PM
Yeah, I know now if l find a 3 phase uni, what is going on it, instead of a 1 phase motor.
This is great info to someone new to the VFD concept (me). Opens the world of three phase toys. :D

Seems like an excellent deal for the VFD and motor.

Josh Bowman
03-30-2013, 9:31 PM
Well thanks to Anthony, I have not got a variable speed with forward and reverse, metal lathe. My 1950 South Bend 9 has now come into the new era. It runs smooth and the VFD has a ton of features. Once you figure out the programming, it's kind of like setting a digital watch. The book isn't the most user friendly but with Anthony's suggested setup and looking his settings in the book, the setup became simple.

Anthony Diodati
03-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Glad you got it up running. I had some help, just passing it forward. I am now thinking of the same set-up for my metal lathe.
I still have to tidy mine up a bit, and mount the controls. I was thinking of putting the VFD in some kind of enclosure, maybe a old computer tower.
I think we have a few more to hear from on here.

jared herbert
04-01-2013, 2:09 PM
I am a little late with this but I ordered my 1hp 220 volt motor and vfd controller a week ago friday. I got it delivered on Wednesday. Yesterday I got the switch and pot that I need from Radio Shack. Unfortunately I will not have the time to get the whole thing put together on my old lathe for some time as I farm and I am getting into my busy season now. I thought I better buy it now while it is available, it will give me a good project to start on later this summer. The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.

Josh Bowman
04-01-2013, 2:31 PM
Jared,
My only caution is, you might hook it up and hot it up to make sure it all works. All you need do is get 4 wires that will fit into the VFD's motor connections and the same for you 220 volt. #12 is as big as I think you can get in those holes, so don't go too big, #14 would work fine and be easier. Plug it up and push the RUN button, the box is programmed to start the motor slooooow. Then use the UP ARROW key to take the speed up. 60 hz is all that's needed to test the motor. Let it run a little bit and push STOP. Then you can put it back in the box to work on it in the summer.

I am a little late with this but I ordered my 1hp 220 volt motor and vfd controller a week ago friday. I got it delivered on Wednesday. Yesterday I got the switch and pot that I need from Radio Shack. Unfortunately I will not have the time to get the whole thing put together on my old lathe for some time as I farm and I am getting into my busy season now. I thought I better buy it now while it is available, it will give me a good project to start on later this summer. The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.

Anthony Diodati
04-01-2013, 5:40 PM
The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.
Yeah, There ya Go, Free shipping on my next order at least.

Jared,
My only caution is, you might hook it up and hot it up to make sure it all works. All you need do is get 4 wires that will fit into the VFD's motor connections and the same for you 220 volt. #12 is as big as I think you can get in those holes, so don't go too big, #14 would work fine and be easier. Plug it up and push the RUN button, the box is programmed to start the motor slooooow. Then use the UP ARROW key to take the speed up. 60 hz is all that's needed to test the motor. Let it run a little bit and push STOP. Then you can put it back in the box to work on it in the summer.
Good advise, make sure it's not DOA.

jared herbert
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I had been thinking it would be a good idea to just try out the motor and controller and see if it works and then worry about mounting it on the lathe at a later date.

Anthony Diodati
07-27-2014, 12:17 AM
That set up is $195.00 now. Went up $15.00.
Wouldn't be surprised if shipping went up too. I was thinking about getting the same VFD for the powermatic sander I have started to work on again, but I guess I would be better off just digging up a single phase motor for the belt sander. Don't really need reverse on a belt sander, variable speed would be nice, but not really needed.

I thought I'd start a new thread here, as I am still wondering what to do with the motor for my 159.
This set up is only about $180.00, and although 220 might be better, I like the Idea of 110 volt.

EDIT

Anthony Diodati
12-27-2014, 3:21 PM
That package is $265.00 Now!!!
I guess it's free-ads treadmill time now.
I scored one today BTW.

EDIT