PDA

View Full Version : Delta lathe 46-700

Todd Davidson
05-07-2005, 9:35 PM
Kim (LOML) has expressed an intesest in learning to turn and it is something I wouldn't mind trying my hand at. A neighbor is retiring and moving south and is selling the contents of his home shop. He has a Delta 46-700 w/ stand, turning tools and a variety of accessories that he said he'd sell us. He said he's only used it a couple times to turn a few sets of legs (the machine is in pristine shape with many of the accessories still unopened). Have any of y'all used this lathe? Is it one that will suffice over time (Kim wants to turn bowls and I'd like to just become familiar with a lathe. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Earl Eyre
05-08-2005, 1:09 AM
Hi Todd. Yes, I had that very lathe for about two years and if you can get it for a good price, it is a great lathe to learn on. The Reeves drive can be a frustration. If you use the lathe alot you will have to learn how to service it and keep it operating properly. They can cause vibration and can also stick if not taken care of. You might also want to put a board across the lower braces and weight the lathe down with some sand bags if you start doing very big bowls. The stand it too light for heavy work.

I finally bought a Powermatic when I got tired of the lightness of the Delta and also wanted to do bigger things. I wouldn't recommend the Delta if you were paying full price. I think there are better options out there. But if you can get it for 1/2 price or so, you should be very happy with it.

I sold mine to a "newbie" and he is delighted with it.

Earl

Steve Inniss
05-08-2005, 8:24 AM
Hi Todd,
Knowing that you both may become addicted to turning, you will eventually upgrade. However, that appears to be the lathe I learned on, it will do you for a few years, and sounds like something you should do. I gave mine to a neighbour when I moved from Massachusetts. As Earl suggests, I built a box to fit the lower frame and sandbagged it.
I really pushed the lathe at times - never had any problems with it including the drive, except when I overtightened the headstock lockpin and broke it off. $10 or so and two days later, I was back turning.
...looking forward to your pictures.
-Steve

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Classic spindle lathe for the hobbyist shop for many years and it also will turn bowls, too. One in good condition should serve you well as a "starter" lathe at a low price.

Gary Max
05-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I am with the rest of the folks here---something around $200.00 give or take a little.
You can turn on that lathe for years and even if you up grade later you can keep it as second lathe.

Todd Davidson
05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the input. The owner is asking $250 including the stand, a set of 8 turning tools, and what I believe are the standard accessories (if anyone knows exactly what these should be I'd like to know). Kim will probably spend more time with a lathe than I will once we get our shop rebuilt. Any recommendations on a book or two that we should read on lathes/turning that would help us get started?

John Shuk
05-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Todd,
I am a member of a group called the nutmeg woodturners that meets at Brookfield Craft Center. It might be a great place to go and check out a meeting. I drive about 50 minutes to get there and it is well worth it. By the way the next meeting is tommorrow night. There are also classes available there independent of the club. Only problem is that she may get spoiled they have all Oneway lathes. Might set the bar a little high.