PDA

View Full Version : Info on hanging drywall

Jerry Bruette
03-10-2013, 4:16 PM
Has anyone here ever used Prest-On products for hanging drywall? How well did or didn't they work?

Jerry

Jim Andrew
03-10-2013, 8:54 PM
Are you talking about the clips? I drywalled my shop, and although it took longer than hiring pros, I saved a lot of money. Drywallers around here know how to charge. I just laid out the studs on 16" centers, and where I had a butt joint, used a straight edge and SR shims to make sure the butt would be"out" so filling it would be easy. I picked up a used suspended ceiling for the ceiling so didn't have to drywall that. But I had a beam on both long walls, so have corner bead and about a 6" flat on the underside of the beam. A "banjo" is a great tool for taping, use paper instead of fiberglas tape, the fiber rips right down your joint.

Phil Thien
03-10-2013, 9:12 PM
I've used the repair kits which I think are just four of the Insta-Back devices in a single package.

In terms of installing drywall, all the butt joints should really fall on studs. Not doing so is called "floating" the butt joints. When you float the butts you run a higher risk of long (4') cracks.

It is a lot of work either way (whether you float the butts or not). You are only saving some cuts by floating. I highly recommend not doing so.

Jim Neeley
03-11-2013, 12:22 AM
A 4' butt crack is way too much.. plus TMI.. floating or not!!

<Sorry Phil.. Couldn't resist!!>

Jerry Bruette
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Actually considering the corner-back and framer-back. Just looks like the ceiling to wall joint would be easier without having to put 2x6 on top of interior walls for an attachment point.

Phil Thien
03-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Actually considering the corner-back and framer-back. Just looks like the ceiling to wall joint would be easier without having to put 2x6 on top of interior walls for an attachment point.

The corner back isn't that bad, as at least it attaches to framing. The Framer-back and the Insta-backs are using drywall to support drywall.

Honestly, I think you're better off with the extra framing in all these cases. What happens, for example, if you device to run something like a French cleat all the way into the corner? No framing in the corner, though, because you used Corner-backs.

I do have a closet in a half-bath on my first floor where they didn't frame one rear corner (they saved two lousy studs). So when I was trying to add a utility cabinet I noticed the plaster (it is veneer plaster) in the corner crack and then some play in the wall.

IMHO, you should just frame it so you have something to which you can nail/screw the drywall.