PDA

View Full Version : My new assembly table

Derek Voigt
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I just pick up this surface plate. 30"x40" granite. I figure this is a great option for an assembly table rather the using my table saw top or building a torsion box. This will stay flat forever and i don't have to worry about gluing a project to a wood top. It might be a touch small but will work for 99% of my projects and I got it for about the cost of materials to build one.

Jim Barrett
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow!!....how much does that rock weigh?

Jim

eugene thomas
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Think i would want more robust stand for that rock.

Brian Brightwell
03-10-2013, 11:21 AM
It would make a great router table top, if you could cut a hole in it!!

Derek Voigt
03-10-2013, 11:25 AM
It is every bit of 500 lbs. It was a pain to move. The stand is super solid, so i don't worry about strength - but I would like to have something to hold the plate to the stand. It just sits on top so in theory it could be pushed off the stand. That would take a pretty big push, but i would like to not see how big

Dick Mahany
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Are you sure it is thick enough? :D Looks like a great addition and would be great for establishing co-planarity on 4 sided chairs and tables. Next I expect to see digital height gauges and dial gauges on it...........enjoy.

BTW if you want to anchor it to the stand, see if you can find some 3M 2216 A/B adhesive. It can easily be used to join granite/glass/metals and the bond when cured is stronger than the granite matrix itself. You could use a bottle jack to lift the rock just a tad for the adhesive to be dispensed.

Mike Cozad
03-10-2013, 4:08 PM
That's a beast. I have seen machinists with similar tables drill the underside and epoxy threaded inserts into the top and then use brackets to "clamp" it to the frame at the insert locations. I would guess flipping it onto its top to do this would be a might challenging tho....

Ray Newman
03-10-2013, 4:55 PM
Very nice find!!

As Mike Cozad posted, I would find a way to secure it to the cart.

Since it is “mobile”, I suggest fabricating a robust wood covering for protection when not in use or when moved.

Economy 2x4’s for the edges and ¾” plywood for the top. Some might say that such a top is overkill, but it would keep it from being cracked or chipped. Cheap insurance.

Peter Aeschliman
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Holy smokes! That should do the trick!

This reminds me of an idea I had a while back- casting a concrete countertop in place on a benchtop, and finishing it off with some self-leveling concrete. I wonder if that would get flat enough.

Anyway, I digress. Good for you!

Matt Meiser
03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
A piece of 1/2" MDF would lie flat on there and protect it (and tools) nicely.

Brian Brightwell
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
A little silicone calking would keep it in place and a putty will separate it anytime you want to change the base. I would not attach the base and top permanently.