PDA

View Full Version : Going Through Withdrawal

Jeff Gilfor
03-10-2013, 8:26 AM
Gotta' say that I'm amazed I can even stand it!!!!

Ordered a new lathe last week (Nova DVR 2024), and am waiting for delivery and setup through local Woodcraft (hate to lift that stuff myself). Also waiting for the contractor to start the shop enlargement project I commissioned (moving a wall out three feet).

In the meantime, I figure that I can still work on my Rikon old faithful lathe; however, went to turn it on on Friday, and it didn't work. Then the variable speed board started smoking (and mine is a no smoking shop!!!). Well, won't get a new board till Monday, and the new lathe isn't here yet.

Had to revert to flat work this weekend. I am SOOOOOOOOO bummed! Never thought I'd miss it this much.

charlie knighton
03-10-2013, 10:39 AM
congratulations on new lathe, would like to see picture of shop before and after moving wall, surprized you ordered the new board, but you should be in great shape once everything has arrived and been setup

Chip Sutherland
03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. In meantime, try to find the zen in planing boards and cutting dovetails by hand. :cool:

Jeff Gilfor
03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Actually, Rikon sent the board gratis. Still under warrantee I guess (can't remember). They are so nice to deal with. Called, spoke to Doug, told him the lathe burnt up and that it was the VS board; said one would be there in a few days. Done! There's always uses for an extra lathe! Dedicated buffer? Training lathe for my son?

I will snap photos of the shop before and after, and will post when work is done. CAN'T wait to have 40 more square feet of floor space. When I finished the basement, I had no idea that I would get sucked into the vortex! Now there's no saving me.

steve johnson
08-15-2014, 2:16 PM
I have had this for several months ......not ready for prime time.
Warning......when under slight stress, motor will suddenly lurch and double it's speed. The engineers are working on the problem. When coring a pine blank on slow speed (100rpm), it slowed for a moment, then raced up to 250 rpm, catching the tool and throwing the blank off the chuck. Same thing when using a roughing gouge at 250 rpm........a slight pause at a small catch the motor raced to 450rpm.
Nova was going to trade out motors but they found that the ones they were going to send did the same thing. I have been waiting several months for them to send me the swing away as well.