PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your nailer/stapler?

Christian Aufreiter
05-07-2005, 8:06 PM
Hi folks,

it would be great if you could share your opinions on (pneumatic) nailers/staplers. I’m hardly interested in specific brand recommendations as the rather popular US brands seem to be a lot less known here. I’d like to hear how many of you use their nailers/staplers in the shop and for what applications. Do you think it was a good investment?

The types I’m mostly interested are brad nailers for brads up to about 2" length and staplers for narrow crown staples up to a length of 1.5".
What do you think about combination tools:
a) for brads and staples?
b) for brads and pins?

Background of the question:
I might want to get a nailer/stapler but (adding the cost of a compressor) it's quite an amount of money and honestly, I don't absolutely need one. But if you can and want to convince me that I'd use it more often than I would expect ...

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Mark Singer
05-07-2005, 8:52 PM
Christian,

The Porter cable is a very good model here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SBBQ/qid=1115512778/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl60/104-2816202-6203942?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846
I have had mine for about 5 years and no problems. I have used it a lot! It is great for pinnibg while glue sets , or in comination with pocket screws. Even on fine cabinets to hold the back if it doesn't show... I have the pin nailer also

Per Swenson
05-07-2005, 8:58 PM
Hello Christian,

I use all the nailers during the week.
18 guage, 16, and angled finish 15.
Plus a big old framing gun. For installations.
But in the shop, the most used air gun is the
23 guage pin nailer. This tool I find indespensible for glue ups,
and small intricate moldings. The pins are so tiny
that they are rendered invisible.
Here is a picture, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006411F/qid=1115512826/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-4743854-9334427?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

You can usually get them for around $100 on that auction site.
I hope this helps.
Per

Tim Morton
05-07-2005, 9:01 PM
I LOVE mine and use it quite a bit. I have a small 18ga PC brad nailer and a larger 15ga finish nailer and recently while finishing my basement I added a clipped head framing nailer to the stable. Plus I use the compressor for other non nailing related functions too. So I cast my vote for a YES to buying it,:D

Bob Noles
05-07-2005, 9:02 PM
Christian,

Being that I am a combination woodworker hobbiest and handyman, I could not live without these tools. I sincerely believe that if you were to have them, you would find more uses for them than you can imagine. One of the largest advanges besides not having sore thumbs anymore, it the fact that you drive a straight fastener in everytime. No more bent fastners to have to pull out and re-do as well as no more hammer marks and mars on your project.

I have the Porter Cable pancake compressor that came with a finish nailer and brad gun. I have since added a stapler and absolutely could not go back to the manual method. It has become one of the more heavily used tools in my shop. Add an air nozzle and talk about blowing some sawdust out of cracks and crannies...WHOA!

I say go for it and you will never look back.

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 9:08 PM
Christian, I find that the pneumatic tools get a lot of use in the shop...and out. I have a couple 18 guage brad guns, a 15 guage angle nailer, a 23 guage pinner and a 1/4" narrow crown stapler. I use the 15 guage nailer and the pinner a lot along with the brad nailer. The stapler gets limited use, but when it's the right tool...it's nice to have.

Stay away from the combination tools...they really mark the wood badly when you are using the smaller fastener and really are compromises. If you can only have one gun, choose a 16 guage brad nailer. It's slightly larger than the 18 guage guns but as a result it can also shoot 2" fasteners reliably. However, you still need to be careful about blowout and grain following with any of the guns that shoot the flat wire brads, no matter what the size.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 9:11 PM
Christian, I use a 18 gauge brad nailer a lot in the workshop and wish I had a 23 gauge pinner too. I also use a 16 gauge finish nailer around the house but don't find it very useful in the wood shop.

Todd Davidson
05-07-2005, 9:22 PM
I too have an array of pneumatic and non-pneumatic Porter Cable guns that see much use being a carpenter and woodworker. One gun, a PC brad nailer that runs on a 12V battery which powers its own built in mini compressor - despite being kinda heavy and a bit awkward at first to use - is really a good gun for small jobs or infrequent use as you don't have to use a compressor or run out hoses. If you don't anticipate needing a variety of guns or have additional use for a compressor a battery operated model may be something to look into.

Erin Stringer
05-07-2005, 9:49 PM
I will second Jim's suggestion that the combo units leave LARGE marks in the work. I call them Moose Tracks because they are so large. I used one to install 1/4 round trim for a floor I installed and the marks were a bear to fill when I was done.

Ken Garlock
05-07-2005, 9:51 PM
I have both the Senco 15 ga. and Senco 18 ga. nailers. 9 out of 10 times I will use the 18 ga. Some people bad mouth the "cheap" Senco 18 ga nailer, but I have not had a single problem with it, not a jam, not a misfire.

Jim W. White
05-07-2005, 10:19 PM
As stated already, I find them invaluable in woodworking and also very useful around the house.

I have an Accuset 18ga brad nailer
HF 18 ga stapler (only way to attach 1/4" ply to the back of a project)
Craftsman 15 ga nailer
and just recently added a 23 ga. pinner.

They each are extremely useful, but the 18ga brad gun gets the lion's share of the work!

I'll also ech Jim B's warning to avoid the combo guns. They leave a very unsightly impact (major compromise in performance, atleast the one I had from Grizzly was)

Mike Holbrook
05-08-2005, 12:30 AM
I bought a small, easily moved compressor recently and find that it will even handle my framing gun most of the time. I like Hitachi nail guns maybe they are available there. They are hard to beat for toughness and power.

I use a angled 15 gauge Hitachi for more than anything else, but I am still doing a bunch of construction work. I have a 18 gauge SUPCO that I bought a long time ago to use in beehive construction. I bought a 3/8 stapler by Makita and a 1/2 Hitachi that I am getting good use out of.

Mike Stanton
05-08-2005, 12:50 AM
:D I use my18 gauge brad nailer a lot and my narrow crown stapler a lot also. I am thinking of getting a piner also.I love them. mike

jack duren
05-08-2005, 2:20 AM
ive been using nail,staple,etc guns for over 22 yrs. as like any tool other than the most important "using your head" can be replaced using alternative tools or methods. nailers,staplers,etc are mainly designed for speed. they dont replace good joinery or replace good ole glue but when your projects start increasing in size and a typical furniture joint isnt necessary there definetly the way to go.

one should figure there projects,time and use of materials before splurging on "some" expensive guns.

combination guns are like vcr/dvd combos. if one unit goes down they "both" go in the shop for repairs. an 18 brad nailer and glue will cover most projects but separate guns for separate proceedures is a must in my shop.

"say hello to a few of my lil friends".....jack

aurelio alarcon
05-08-2005, 3:38 AM
Now $125.97
Was $179.99
Save $54.02
While quantities last
Intermediate markdowns may have been taken

Porter Cable 16 ga. Finish Nailer

Sears item #00918456000 Mfr. model #18456

Stylish, streamlined gun-body design for better holding position. Sturdy aluminum extruded magazine, includes nailer, case, 1,000 2 in. finish nails. 1/4 in. plug with cap, oil, wrenches, manual. Learn more

This item typically leaves the warehouse within 2 business days. Learn more about delivery and availability.

Christian Aufreiter
05-08-2005, 7:05 AM
Hi folks,

thanks for your replies.
The most popular US types (Porter Cable etc.) are not/hardly available here.
Now let me be a tad more specific. The tools I considered are:
- Kaeser Classic Mini 210/10 W (http://www.kaeser.com/Images/P-339-ED-tcm8-6753.pdf) compressor (PDF-file!)
Kaeser seems to be a very reputable German company that was founded in 1919.
- Variotech K90GN50F (http://www.kmr.ch/nagler.pdf) (another PDF-file!) stapler and nailer combination tool: It’s for 1.03 x 1.27 mm (0.04055 x 0.05") brads from 19 to 50 mm (0.748 to 1.969") length and narrow crown staples from 19 to 40 mm (0.748 to 1.575"). Currently Variotech runs a promo which includes a Systainer for the nailer/stapler and a air hose reel with 30 m (about 98 ft.) air hose.

Together it would cost about EUR 800.

Now you tell me that you can’t recommend the combination units (for brads and staples) as they leave dents. Is that a problem with all – even better and more expensive – nailers?
How about the combination nailers for brads and pins? Same issue?
I mean, I do believe what you experienced woodworkers say but I really wonder how a reputable company such as HolzHer (http://www.holzher.kmreich.de/) that offers primarily professional nailers could sell them.

Thanks!

Christian

George Summers
05-08-2005, 8:35 AM
Hi folks,

Now you tell me that you can’t recommend the combination units (for brads and staples) as they leave dents. Is that a problem with all – even better and more expensive – nailers?
I mean, I do believe what you experienced woodworkers say but I really wonder how a reputable company such as HolzHer (http://www.holzher.kmreich.de/) that offers primarily professional nailers could sell them.

Thanks!

Christian

Think about it for a minute. The ram that sinks the staple is the same ram that is used to sink the brad when only brads are loaded. That ram is the full width of the staple and you basically load the brad where one leg of the staple goes. The other end of the ram face has to come down also and go as far into the wood as the brad is sunk.

George

Michael Stadulis
05-08-2005, 8:47 AM
Christian,

I'm restoring an old house but I'm also a long-time WW. I just got an 18 gauge Paslode which is terrific and I have used a 15ga Senco XP 41 for a while to install moldings in the house. They both have their place, but for your hobby use, I'd think the 15 ga is extreme overkill and the 18 gauge would cover a wider range than a pinner. Get a pinner as your second tool.

Having said that and having been a hobbiest now for over 30 years, I wish that I had the 18 ga a long time ago.

Mike

jack duren
05-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I mean, I do believe what you experienced woodworkers say but I really wonder how a reputable company such as HolzHer that offers primarily professional nailers could sell them.

we just have more options and wouldnt recommend combo nailer/staplers. if your options are limited than a combo is what you should purchase.....jack

Allen Bookout
05-08-2005, 9:41 PM
After getting by all of these years without a nailer I finally bought a 15 gauge angle finish nailer and an 18 gauge brad nailer and have been using them for about three months. I now realize that I have wasted many, many hours by hand nailing everything when I could have done it better and MUCH faster with a nail gun. So I consider that one of my greatest mistakes ever was waiting so long to buy them. I cannot tell you exactly what type that you personally would use the most but I can tell you to order one yesterday and get it on the way. You will not be disappointed. Allen

Jim Marshall
05-09-2005, 9:34 AM
One thing I would like to add to all the post made is when and if you decide to buy your nailers, look for a nailer where the nails are sharpened from front to back instead of from side to side. The nails sharpened from side to side will follow the grain and shoot out the side more readily than the nails sharpened from front to back.

Ted Shrader
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Christian -

I know it is a nice-to-have and "honestly, you don't absolutely need one", but they are another versatile addition to the tool inventory. They will make many tasks much easier. Need? - No. Useful? - Yes!

I have a full head framing nailer, 15ga angled finish nailer, 18ga brad nailer and a narrow crown stapler - all are Porter Cable. The brad nailer gets used most frequently.

Perhaps you could find a compressor/nailer combo pack for sale that would save some money on the initial purchase?

Regards,
Ted

Christian Aufreiter
05-09-2005, 3:32 PM
Hi folks,

thanks a lot for your great advices.

Initially, I was considering a “compressor-less” solution. The Paslodes are available here but too expensive in my book, for example, the IM 200 F18 costs about EUR 750. As a consequence I thought about getting a Prebena PKT nailer (http://www.prebena.de/Products/index.php?Language=EN&ProductCategoryID=1 ). It’s a pretty cool technology but apart from the costs for the nailer itself you have to add EUR 8.50 for filling the air cylinders (lasts for about 650 nails).
So finally I concluded that a small compressor and a common pneumatic gun would not be more expensive in the long run.
What do you think? Would you prefer a “compressor-less” unit?

Think about it for a minute. The ram that sinks the staple is the same ram that is used to sink the brad when only brads are loaded. That ram is the full width of the staple and you basically load the brad where one leg of the staple goes. The other end of the ram face has to come down also and go as far into the wood as the brad is sunk.

That sounds logical. But I hoped that someone might have developed a cool solution to this problem.
In the meanwhile I spoke to a salesperson. He explained that this dents can be avoided by placing the nailer not at 90° but a little slopingly.
Can you confirm this? Do you recommend it?
IMO, it sounds reasonable but I don’t know if it’s really convenient.
BTW, what do you think about combination nailers for BRADS and PINS (not staples)? Their "heads" (if you can talk about "heads" in the case of pins) are about the same size thus I expect that dents would hardly appear.
Is that correct?

Single nailers (for one type of fastener only) are perfectly available. It’s primarily a matter of price why I thought about getting a combination unit.

Perhaps you could find a compressor/nailer combo pack for sale that would save some money on the initial purchase?

Yep, such packages are available. And while the nailers seem to be alright, the compressors are usually on the very low end (and oliless). Speaking about costs, the Kaeser compressor I mentioned costs EUR 372 which is ok for me. So I would pay about EUR 430 for a nailer (about the same for a single brad, single stapler or combination nailer). That’s what bothers me a little.

If you could get only one nailer right at the beginning, would a 18 gauge brad nailer be a good choice? I see that many of you own such a type.

Thanks!

Christian

George Summers
05-09-2005, 5:47 PM
Quote:

That sounds logical. But I hoped that someone might have developed a cool solution to this problem.
In the meanwhile I spoke to a salesperson. He explained that this dents can be avoided by placing the nailer not at 90° but a little slopingly.
Can you confirm this? Do you recommend it?

This would probably serve to eliminate, or at least reduce, the dent effect. But, now you are driving the brad at an angle into the wood. 1; you would not get the full length effect of the brad and 2; I would be worried that the brad would be more prone than normal to come out the side of your piece. With 18ga the brad is small enough that it will sometimes follow the grain and come through the side, I wouldn't want to take the chance of increasing that possibility.

George

Christian Aufreiter
05-09-2005, 6:26 PM
Ok, you have convinced me. No brad/staple combo nailer, maybe a brad/pin combo.

I'll keep you posted about my decision.

Regards,

Christian

Sam Blasco
05-09-2005, 8:08 PM
I'm going to be a bit contrary here. the narrow crown stapler gets the most use in my shop. holds better than a brad and won't hit something and decide to come through the side and into a finger. not that that ever happended to me. and for quick jig construction it can't be beat. I won't use them anywhere they can be seen, but for initial carcass hold together they are better than a helper. Pin and brad nailers are okay, but I wouldn't use them in anything where strength or durability would be needed, and I hate, i mean, hate filling nail holes. Of course for moldings, especially field installed moldings, they are indespensible, as are the other nailers mentioned and I have them all. but in the controlled environs of the shop, I find some strategically placed and judiciously used hot melt and tape can be used on any molding or part as a clamp until the adhesive of choice decides to set. the little bit of extra time required initially always beats the time to fill nail holes and then treat them to disappear. but my eye always spots them no matter how skillfully done in every place I visit.
all that being said, if I could only afford one air gun it would be the crown stapler. even in finish work, if you are going to fill a hole, does it matter all that much if it is a little bigger? if you are a skillful finisher, you'll be able to make it "disappear" as easily as a nail hole.
just MHO