PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged BLM Burl Pieces

James Combs
03-09-2013, 7:50 PM
I have some BLM burl pieces, bowl blank cut-offs courtesy of John Keaton, I have used most of the larger pieces but still have some 1-2 inches long. Here are a couple I salvage by casting two in red Alumilite. I painted the inside of the drilled blank black, kinda wish I had used white but will try white next time.

Pen is a CSUSA chrome long clicker. Finish is 10 coats of med CA polished to 12000mm.
In areas where the resin goes all the way to the tube it appears black, white would have showed the red better.

C&C appreciated.

Dick Mahany
03-09-2013, 8:00 PM
I like it very much. Just the right amount of Alumilite to not overpower that gorgeous wood!

Eric Gourieux
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
That's a nice pen. You do a great job on the castings

Billy Tallant
03-10-2013, 12:27 AM
That is a really nice looking pen James! I myself like that black tube. It gives it a really nice contrast effect.

Jim Burr
03-10-2013, 5:46 PM
Nice work JD!! I'm a big fan of silver tubes for bright stuff...the blacklooks dark and mysterious...kinda cool!

James Combs
03-10-2013, 8:03 PM
That's a nice pen. You do a great job on the castings
Thanks Eric, I can't take all the credit, lots of turners here and on the IAP to learn from, also have to give credit to Alumilite, it is ideal for wood, PR tends to separate from wood.

I like it very much. Just the right amount of Alumilite to not overpower that gorgeous wood!
Thanks Dick, I actually was hoping for a little more but the shape of the scrap wood caused it to decrease the more I turned down the blank.

That is a really nice looking pen James! I myself like that black tube. It gives it a really nice contrast effect.
Thanks Billy, I like it too and as some one else said, white would make it too pink. I will be looking at nickle plated tubes or silver paint for the next one.

Nice work JD!! I'm a big fan of silver tubes for bright stuff...the black looks dark and mysterious...kinda cool!

Thanks Jim, will be looking into silvered tubes for the next one, but I won't be throwing this one away.;)